Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Justifying pirating because you don't like something or because it might not cost the person you are stealing from is simply childish reasoning. We could get into a pointless debate about all that, but it would be useless. Perhaps Vivek can remind us about the RPF's stance on pirating?

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it's just me;)

Anyways i think this last episode was it for me, there is really nothing holding my attention anymore.

But for you guys that like the show, i hope it does well in the future.

Ohh man, what a piece of garbage this show turned out to be.

Is it just me or is the amount of gay/bi characters on discovery becoming a bit to ridiculous? I noticed some girl on girl action forced in at the party in the last episode.

I'm all for personal choice but it really feels like i'm having a specific political view pushed down my throat when i watch this crap. Something i don't feel when watching the Orville even though it covers a lot of the same subjects only better.

Imagine how gay people have felt watching every TV show ever for the last 60 years.

I have to say that this last episode about the time loop was actually good...much better than what has come before. All the other problems about this show, not withstanding, it at least had an interesting story and plot lines, some real character development and some actual Trek-like humor. It actually gave me a glimmer of hope about this show.

I have to say that this last episode about the time loop was actually good...much better than what has come before. All the other problems about this show, not withstanding, it at least had an interesting story and plot lines, some real character development and some actual Trek-like humor. It actually gave me a glimmer of hope about this show.

I am sure that I do not have to remind anyone 30+ about that classic episode, but since we might have a few members that aren´t old enough to remember that episode:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cause_and_Effect_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

I am sure that I do not have to remind anyone 30+ about that classic episode, but since we might have a few members that aren´t old enough to remember that episode:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cause_and_Effect_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Yeah, that certainly was a classic Trek episode involving a time loop; but there have been so many sci-fi shows and movies that use that...Groundhogs Day comes to mind, and other Star Trek episodes: Voyager Relativity and Coda , off the top of my head. So it's nothing new of course, but I still give this episode kudos relative to the otherwise dispicable nature of the earlier episodes in this series. Maybe I'm groping at straws. :D

Last edited:
I haven't seen the latest episode yet - but based on posts here, they're already desperate enough to work some sort of time travel/loop into it. I liked the series when it first started, but it's spiralling fast. With this being such a short season, I hoped for a better arc than what we've gotten.

And as bad as the spore drive sounded to me - science seems to agree that it's a terrible idea. Add this with the poor acting (Martin-Green and Rapp especially), diminishing story arc and just unlikeable characters... I'm starting to run toward the "hate it" bandwagon on Star Trek Discovery.

Imagine how gay people have felt watching every TV show ever for the last 60 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_television_programs_with_LGBT_characters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lesbian,_gay,_bisexual_or_transgender-related_films

You are pretty much ignoring the last 20 years of televison and film for that matter.

I won't deny that prior to the 90's there was not a lot of representation of gay people. But ever since roughly Will&Grace came out in '98 there has been a steadily increasing stream of shows and characters that are gay. The lists above contain literally hundreds of gay/lesbian characters.

And you now have gay representation in Trek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_television_programs_with_LGBT_characters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lesbian,_gay,_bisexual_or_transgender-related_films

You are pretty much ignoring the last 20 years of televison and film for that matter.

I won't deny that prior to the 90's there was not a lot of representation of gay people. But ever since roughly Will&Grace came out in '98 there has been a steadily increasing stream of shows and characters that are gay. The lists above contain literally hundreds of gay/lesbian characters.

And you now have gay representation in Trek.

And I'm all for it.

I was just pointing out that a straight person saying a show has a disproportionate amount of gay people as a thing that throws them off or makes them uncomfortable is exactly what gay people have felt for the vast majority of the history of film and TV. It has been better since the 90s, for sure, but most shows on TV would still show a party of mostly straight people and most people wouldn't bat an eyelash because that is what we have culturally accepted as normal. I think it's good for that to be challenged-- and Star Trek is the show to do it because it has ALWAYS challenged societal norms.

It just sucks that the show itself is lacking...

Last edited:
I think the idea is that it's only noticeable until it's not noticeable - until it becomes part of our culture and that the future it's become more normal than it is today. Nowadays - to some, LGBT people stick out like sore thumb... so, it's going to do the same on a television program.

I'm told when black people started to have a more prominent role on TV, there were folks that had a similar reaction. However, it's much easier to spot a person of color than it is someone that is LGBT.

Star Trek's always pushed these kinds of things. I don't think it's really pushing any sort of agenda, except one that accepts everyone.

All PDAs tend to bug me.

Imagine if every show only had gay characters, then four episodes into this show they introduced two straight characters, then three episodes after that there were two more none speaking background straight people, then someone gay said they were sick of straight people being pushed down their throat. You might think that person was being unreasonable.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

Yes, I know we're talking about a fantasy show where any number of people can be gay or transgender or whatever the writers want, but in the real world, and this applies more to non-sci-fi, non-fantasy shows here, but in the real world, maybe 5% of the population is gay and less than 1% is transgender, but shows want to push a much larger percentage of the characters to be gay or be transgender so they can be "edgy". And if anyone points out that there are a disproportionate number of gay or transgender characters, they get called names. And let's be honest, a lot of these gay and transgender characters are, well... blatantly gay or transgender. In the real world, the overwhelming majority of gay people and probably transgender people, you'd never know they were gay or transgender unless you saw them with their significant other or in obvious drag. Most transgender people don't look like Divine. Most gay people don't act like the lisping, flouncing stereotype. The overwhelming majority just act like regular people. They live their lives like regular people. The first words out of their mouths are not "Hi, I'm gay". And pretty much every gay friend I have is pretty offended at the Hollywood stereotype that involves flashing lights and big signs to the audience that they have gay characters. And I'm sure the same is true for most transgender people regarding the Hollywood stereotypes.

That's my take on it anyhow. Let the inevitable hate begin.

And I'm all for it.

I was just pointing out that a straight person saying a show has a disproportionate amount of gay people as a thing that throws them off or makes them uncomfortable is exactly what gay people have felt for the vast majority of the history of film and TV. It has been better since the 90s, for sure, but most shows on TV would still show a party of mostly straight people and most people wouldn't bat an eyelash because that is what we have culturally accepted as normal. I think it's good for that to be challenged-- and Star Trek is the show to do it because it has ALWAYS challenged societal norms.

It just sucks that the show itself is lacking...

It still seems to come down to what counts as adequate representation.

And I still think DS9 pretty much got there first as far as Trek goes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back