Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

My issue with the PT is that it ends 20 years prior to the OT and yet the designs (of everything not just ships) seem like they are cut from a completely different cloth. It just doesn't feel like a society should have changed so drastically in such a short time.

That was the point! They were supposed to look like a society who was putting more design and artistry into the ships, vehicles, architecture, etc. Once the Emperor takes control that goes down the tubes like the Dark Ages. Some rich Imperial worlds may have continued this trend in some ways so you might see fancier stuff there. So if you go to Coruscant you may see the same fancy personal speeders and things. The rest of the galaxy was just trying to get by without, as Obi Wan put it, any Imperial entanglements.

I don't find the shift in style weird, but you'd think more of the fancy PT stuff would still have survived into the OT era. 70's cars looked a lot different to 50's cars, but you still saw a lot of 50's cars on the streets from people who couldn't afford a new one.
But I guess in the case of SW, they were on different planets, so it's not a big deal, there's just a bit of a mental disconnect not seeing that lineage for some of those designs. Comparing the scope of present day Earth to a galaxy of planets is probably apples to oranges here.

I didn't really end up having a point in all of that. :wacko

We talked in another thread about why we aren't seeing more Republic era stuff, military at least. My guess is that the Emperor had everything tightly controlled so they weren't going to lose a Star Destroyer or anything that would give the resistance a hand. We did see a Juggernaut (aka Turbotank... sigh...) in Rogue One in use on that prison planet. I'm thinking that they kept some older ships like Acclamators or Venators for patrolling systems on the borders. I would like to see a future OT era show have a Republic Gunship in use or maybe some clone trooper armor on the Rebels.

I get the change in design from a practical standpoint, but I don't go into sci-fi adventure romps with practical in my mind. Practicality take a backseat to familiar ideas to the original material. The change in tone was WAY too jarring. To me, it didn't even feel like the Star Wars I was accustomed to, and that was my problem.

Aside from that, you can have ornate things that look gorgeous, but it should also feel lived in. No matter how nicely preserved people keep their things, they still look used. The PT was so over-the-top well-kept that it didn't look real. It didn't look lived in.

An old house thats floors are redone and walls are freshly painted (if done right) doesn't look lived in either, even though it has been. And I'll take new and original over retreaded ground any day. What you hated about the prequels is what I appreciated most about them...they dared to be different (unlike TFA in many ways).

I'm willing to give TFA a pass for it's retreated parts as long as TLJ moves us in a new and different direction.

I don't find the shift in style weird, but you'd think more of the fancy PT stuff would still have survived into the OT era. 70's cars looked a lot different to 50's cars, but you still saw a lot of 50's cars on the streets from people who couldn't afford a new one.
But I guess in the case of SW, they were on different planets, so it's not a big deal, there's just a bit of a mental disconnect not seeing that lineage for some of those designs. Comparing the scope of present day Earth to a galaxy of planets is probably apples to oranges here.

I didn't really end up having a point in all of that. :wacko
Except for the fact that it was old and beat up, Luke's landspeeder could have been one of those stylized designs left over from the PT years.

I hate to point this out... but look at the little pattern under the dish... I've never seen that on any rendering or artwork ever of either of the OT DS's...

That would be soo lame.

If they had NO starkiller base in 7 I would've accepted a 3rd DS for ep8... but this would be extra weak of them...

I hate to point this out... but look at the little pattern under the dish... I've never seen that on any rendering or artwork ever of either of the OT DS's...

That would be soo lame.

If they had NO starkiller base in 7 I would've accepted a 3rd DS for ep8... but this would be extra weak of them...

I noticed that too. It doesn't look like a traditional Death Star. I'm still going with "artistic license" for now, but it does raise an eyebrow.

Just seems odd that they are posing it in front of a DS. Here’s one for sale, looks like the image is on the final packaging. 45B8E51D-9FFF-47C5-A666-8A4150E10431.jpeg

It's just package art, a Death Star IS NOT IN THIS MOVIE. Revell is in Germany and just using recognizable Star Wars iconography and clip art.

It's just package art, a Death Star IS NOT IN THIS MOVIE. Revell is in Germany and just using recognizable Star Wars iconography and clip art.
What does their location have to do with it? Revell aren't usually known for their artistic freedom in packaging, they have held so many licenses :) the models from TFA all featured TFA related art.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back