The 900th thread about modding a Black Series Kylo Ren Helmet w/ Disney upgrade

What I meant was... what are you going to do for the voice changer part. I bought another helmet. I am also going to gut it like you did. The most important thing to me is the voice changer. I have nearly a full costume... but nothing is worse than when someone in an awesome Vader comes to talk to you and it is a normal weak voice.

My plan was to buy some internal laptop speakers. Hook those up to a Bluetooth receiver.

Run a mic to cell phone with the Space Villain Voice Changer app (they are still working on it) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stereomatch.space.villain.talk

I just wonder if those laptop speakers will be loud enough. They would be the perfect size to fit into the helmet.

Just wondering how my plans matches up to your plans?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. I explained exactly what I'm doing in my quote in your post. I'm building a voice modulator circuit from scratch, but I'll be covering it in a later post once I work out the bugs. No bluetooth, No cell phones. Just good old fashioned circuitry.

No idea how well laptop speakers will work. Never used them before. But probably not very well unless they're running through a preamp, which I doubt they will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't buy the BS helmet for the voice changer. I bought it for its accuracy for price. While you can make some mods on the stock voice changer to make it mildly adequate, I'm just building my own with a voice modulator kit I bought online, and some other bits and bobs. That'll be covered later once I work out the bugs.

Just curious, which Voice Mod Kit are you going with?

Nope. Was in NYC last weekend, and was doing FX makeup this weekend. Haven't been able to get to the shop. Should have something this weekend.

The Velleman.....with a bunch of modifications.

Anything you'd be willing to share on the velleman side of things? :)

I use the MK171 in my helmet (I assume that's what you're going for) with the standard helmet speaker + a throat mic at the moment. It sounds decent, but I'd be willing to make improvements if I can find some!

Apologies everyone. There's going to be another delay in the next episode. I managed to contract the worst food poisoning of my life this week after eating some Chik-Fil-A. My theory is that the chicken knew I support gay rights, and launched an attack against my bowels for my "sinfulness."
At any rate, I'm nearly better, but still recovering, and need to get caught up on fulfilling a couple lightsaber orders before I can get back to this personal project. Should have something for you next weekend.

... managed to contract the worst food poisoning of my life this week after eating some Chik-Fil-A.
Dude.. Feel your pain! That is NOT the Force you want to Awaken!!! Hang in there and take your time recovering. Probably feels like you just finished a marathon of using the Ab-Carver and the Thighmaster - all at once!

Dude.. Feel your pain! That is NOT the Force you want to Awaken!!! Hang in there and take your time recovering. Probably feels like you just finished a marathon of using the Ab-Carver and the Thighmaster - all at once!

I feel like the pretty new fish at a federal prison.

Can ABS paste be used to fill in the gaps and sanded down? Or are the two plastics too different that it wouldn't work?

I wouldn't risk it. ABS paste is designed specifically for ABS, of which this helmet is not made of. It could not stick at all, or cause a chemical reaction that melts it completely.

That green resin is good. Sanding that stuff .. well.. not so good.

It's there for strength, not finishing, thus not much sanding was needed. That's why it was mostly applied to the inside and very sparingly on the outside, and what sanding was needed, was done before it had fully cured. I'll be using a two part glazing putty to smooth everything else out. MUCH easier to sand.

So do you have any updates on how the paint job is going?

Sorry, not yet. I've been working weekends and/or have had family obligations, and haven't been able to get to the workshop in quite a long time. Don't worry though, this project isn't dead. It's just on hold. I'm fairly certain I'll be making it there weekend after Easter.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back