Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Jul 23, 2017, 3:39 PM - In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #1

Edit: found the guide pinned to the top of the SW forums. {facepalm} Anyone have similar info on Episode II and III?

I know that there are various differences in the lightsabers for each character by movie, and sometimes variations in the same movie. Has anyone done a definitive publication that breaks down each lightsaber? I'm specifically interested in the lineage of Anakin to Darth to Luke to Rey, across Episodes II, III, IV, V VI and VII...knowing full well that certain sabers were lost and rebuilt as part of the story.

The dream is to create a wall with functioning saber hilts with pictures and captions regarding differences.

Sorry, as I'm sure this has already been covered at some point, but after an exhaustive 23 second google search, I'm out of options
    Last edited by barbaric62; Jul 23, 2017 at 4:13 PM.
    From
    Rancho Cucamonga CA
    Jul 23, 2017, 4:13 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #2

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=271961 this ebook/thread is arguably the greatest reference I know of at this time. May not have much as far as prequel but it is a excellent start.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jul 23, 2017, 4:42 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #3

Prequel stuff was all scratch made. Pics and measurements can be found easily by googling individual sabers. Everything else is covered by the genius who made the guide
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    Jul 23, 2017, 9:24 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #4

Member Luuke used to have a site that explained all the lightsaber histories. Not sure if its still up
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jul 24, 2017, 9:56 AM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #5

Other than the main characters, the prequels frequently showed Jedi re+using lightsabers from each other. Their explanation for this were "clans" that used the same saber
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jul 24, 2017, 10:51 AM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #6

Jedi Clans = lazy production design
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Jul 24, 2017, 3:41 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #7

SethS said: View Post
    Jedi Clans = lazy production design
    Thank you!

Anyway, the visual dictionaries do specify a few b list characters have lightsabers. This is ki Adi Mundi and windu, Adi Gallia etc. After that, I personally consider, chronologically those to be the intended design. Other stuff seems to be copies of those.

On a side note, ki Adi mundis lightsaber is a cool remodel of Luke's rotj/v2 saber. I find that to be one of their successes, and wish I owned one
    Jul 24, 2017, 5:19 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #8

I don't know the official word, but my understanding is that each Jedi's saber is supposed to be unique and handmade... but if you think about it, it doesn't make much sense. How many designs could there be? Its like every marine having a different rifle. Common sense suggests most were made off a common pattern - just the extra red button or removed beer tab.

Yes, I know its fiction, just sayin'.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jul 24, 2017, 6:37 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #9

Think less marine making their own rifle, and more every samurai forging their own katana. When you add philosophy and dogma to the process it makes a lot more sense.
    From
    Chicago
    Jul 24, 2017, 6:41 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #10

KhalDrogo said: View Post
    Member Luuke used to have a site that explained all the lightsaber histories. Not sure if its still up
    This is it, right? Still love this. http://theoriginallightsaber.com/Histories/historyA.htm
  11. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jul 24, 2017, 7:13 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #11

CT1138 said: View Post
    This is it, right? Still love this.
    OOOF! Except for the butchering of "Adgerian and Kiaber crystals" there on page "A", that's a pretty neat compilation!

I don't think we'll ever see Leia's Padawan #1 Lightsaber in a Disney owned movie though,... it's a little naughty looking.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jul 24, 2017, 7:16 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #12

Great work on that site-- but does just re-affirm my hatred for the PT sabers and the laziness on lightsaber design. Golden age of the Jedi, and we get 3 basic designs.
  13. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jul 24, 2017, 7:37 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #13

Golden age of the Jedi, and we get 3 basic designs.
    You could look at this in a couple of different ways though...

1. Jedi Academy had a "Build Your Own Lightsaber" set of boxes and you walked past it and picked up parts you wanted to use.
    2. Lightsaber production was carried out by The Jedi Temple Armory, much the way the Japanese made swords for their army. Even way back, not every "Samurai" had his own sword made for him, they were quite expensive.
    3. The PT production crew didn't have SethS's phone number, and never saw the Show Your Custom Lightsabers Thread.
    4. There was a Lightsabers-R-Us on every corner next to Starcredits (<---get it?).
    5. ....shoot, I had a couple more, but they escaped my mind as I had to run around and seal up the house. 1st nice day in over a week and some jerk has to light a patio-fire. Getting to bed tonight should be WAY FUN, now that my bedroom smells like a firepit!!!

Anywho, gotta go blow my nose and see if I can dig up a filter mask, <--- super allergic to smoke.
  14. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    From
    Ontario Canada
    Jul 24, 2017, 11:54 PM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #14

Prequel stuff was all scratch made. Pics and measurements can be found easily by googling individual sabers. Everything else is covered by the genius who made the guide

Unlike the Sequels just go to toys r us and pick up the screen used props there =/
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jul 25, 2017, 3:12 AM - Re: In Search of Lightsaber Breakdown by Character / Movie #15

Really?

Cause Rey's belt hanger is a vi rage Graflex. Kylo's is scratch made, but at least it looks like nothing else.