D.C.'s The Flash (tv series)

I feel like last night was a bit of a waste. The story didn't really progress at all. Villain shows up and really there is no effect on the story line. Except for Killer Frost at the very end, what impact did the show have on the story?

It made another of the predictor's of Iris' death basically come true. "Killer Frost on the loose"..,,,and the final nail that pushes barry to jump to the future to find answers.

Musical episode:

Goofy, you bet.

Better than it had any right to be though, cause they used fourth wall breakdowns to show the characters having fun in it.

I really hope the producers of the Flash come to our site and look in this section. I really want them to see that none of us are talking about their show because it is not as good as it once was. Please fix it.

I really hope the producers of the Flash come to our site and look in this section. I really want them to see that none of us are talking about their show because it is not as good as it once was. Please fix it.

no one is talking about supergirl, either and that's a damn shame cause the potential is there.

as for flash, i'm just loosing interest in dark stories and speed demon villains. it's the same thing each time.

it's still fun enough on it's own..but with the bad taste in supergirl, i'm starting to notice the flaws in flash more.

no one is talking about supergirl, either and that's a damn shame cause the potential is there.

as for flash, i'm just loosing interest in dark stories and speed demon villains. it's the same thing each time.

it's still fun enough on it's own..but with the bad taste in supergirl, i'm starting to notice the flaws in flash more.

Actually, I don't know that there is much potential in Supergirl. My wife said it for the last episode, Supergirl doesn't act like a superhero. Everyone in Supergirl is an idiot. They all fall for the most ridiculously obvious ploys and walk into absurdly obvious traps all the time. It's just lazy writing and I've been seeing it more and more in a lot of the Greg Berlanti shows.

I wonder if it is just as simple as he has 4 shows and there is just not enough new or novel ideas to go around. I mean I think we can all agree the Flash and Arrow were at their peak when it was just those 2. Arrow can be dark and gritty and based somewhat in reality and the Flash can be fun and light and deal with the super power side of things. Now that he has to have ideas for super powers and fresh stories all around just might be a little much.

Actually, I don't know that there is much potential in Supergirl. My wife said it for the last episode, Supergirl doesn't act like a superhero. Everyone in Supergirl is an idiot. They all fall for the most ridiculously obvious ploys and walk into absurdly obvious traps all the time. It's just lazy writing and I've been seeing it more and more in a lot of the Greg Berlanti shows.

i've been told i've been too negative and becaus eof that i shouldn't be giving opinions. it does feel kind of sickening trying to change your nature, huh? ;o)

Yeah.

But, I DO like the actors on supergirl. minus hip jimmy. i think with better, less socially aware writing, and if they stick to fun and smarts, it COULD be a good show. but CW is too focused on hooking characters up to do that ;o).

I agrgee with DC craig.

WB Realized they had a good thing in Berlanti, and spread him (them?) out too far too fast. and now we are starting to see the cracks in his armor.

and it started REALLY early with supergirl. although that being on CBS might not have been entirely his fault, as we see how much control les moonves has over shows.

i've been told i've been too negative and becaus eof that i shouldn't be giving opinions. it does feel kind of sickening trying to change your nature, huh? ;o)

Yeah.

There is nothing wrong with being negative. If you can't point out the problems that a show has, how in the world can anyone expect that they'll be fixed?

But, I DO like the actors on supergirl. minus hip jimmy. i think with better, less socially aware writing, and if they stick to fun and smarts, it COULD be a good show. but CW is too focused on hooking characters up to do that ;o).

I agrgee with DC craig.

WB Realized they had a good thing in Berlanti, and spread him (them?) out too far too fast. and now we are starting to see the cracks in his armor.

and it started REALLY early with supergirl. although that being on CBS might not have been entirely his fault, as we see how much control les moonves has over shows.

I think Greg Berlanti comes up with some really great ideas for shows. Where I think he falls down is on long-term planning. I don't think he had a good idea what to do with any of these shows beyond the first season. In fact, most show creators don't because most shows don't make it beyond the end of the first season. So they put everything they have into that first season and if it survives, they're just lost. Then there's the problem that these shows are on CW, which is aimed at the millennial audience, not comic book fans. So no matter how good a show starts, it eventually devolves into shallow melodrama because that's what their audience wants to see. I don't care who is sleeping with who. I care about a compelling story and well-realized characters, which virtually no CW show actually has beyond an introductory season. All of these shows blew their wad right out of the gate and then have no other ideas but to retread the first season over and over again. That seems to be the majority of American television these days.

- - - Updated - - -

He's got shows outside the CW as well...

And they have the same problem. Blindspot had a great first season, but now... not nearly as good.

There is nothing wrong with being negative. If you can't point out the problems that a show has, how in the world can anyone expect that they'll be fixed?

I like to rib on people when they criticize my posts and take pot shot sniper attacks, and then turn it into a running gag right back at them. especially when they ignore it like it never happened :). this particular one was from a few posts back in another thread ;o). I agree whole heartedly....especially these days when people are so afraid to criticize because they know people can't take criticism at all.

but yeah. although in super girls case, her first season had even LESS to go on than flash. which is one reason why i never really bothered with legends of tomorrow. it just seems like too much too soon and too grand an idea for what CW is capable of. ever notice how these shows trend on twitter? it's ALL about the relationship crap!

and shows getting canned early is one reason why these days i hardly EVER give new things a chance. last new thing i liked was sleepy hollow, and that was lucky to make it to season 4... sigh.

- - - Updated - - -

He's got shows outside the CW as well...

are they any better than the cw stuff?

but yeah. although in super girls case, her first season had even LESS to go on than flash. which is one reason why i never really bothered with legends of tomorrow. it just seems like too much too soon and too grand an idea for what CW is capable of. ever notice how these shows trend on twitter? it's ALL about the relationship crap!

Most shows are. Shippers are idiots. I hate them with a burning passion. They ruin every series they touch. Bones was actually a good show, Hart Hanson even said early on that there was no way in hell she was ever getting together with Booth, right up until they wanted to appeal to the idiot shippers and it ruined the show. They killed Castle the same way. If I wanted to see problematic relationships, I'd watch reality TV.

and shows getting canned early is one reason why these days i hardly EVER give new things a chance. last new thing i liked was sleepy hollow, and that was lucky to make it to season 4... sigh.

I give lots of shows a chance which is why I see the clear patterns. Most decent shows are great in the first season, then instantly implode beyond it. Sleepy Hollow was yet another example of it. Great first season, then they had no clue what to do thereafter. I mean, look at Heroes. Best first season I'd seen in years, everything after it sucked.

Most shows are. Shippers are idiots. I hate them with a burning passion. They ruin every series they touch. Bones was actually a good show, Hart Hanson even said early on that there was no way in hell she was ever getting together with Booth, right up until they wanted to appeal to the idiot shippers and it ruined the show. They killed Castle the same way. If I wanted to see problematic relationships, I'd watch reality TV.

I give lots of shows a chance which is why I see the clear patterns. Most decent shows are great in the first season, then instantly implode beyond it. Sleepy Hollow was yet another example of it. Great first season, then they had no clue what to do thereafter. I mean, look at Heroes. Best first season I'd seen in years, everything after it sucked.

I'll disagree with you on Castle. That didn't ruin it. It made it better for a time. The thing was it was a show about them and vehicle was the cases. What ruined it was the original show runner leaving right at the 'don't marry them, let the next guy decide' episode. The next guy missed the point totally and forced in a lame long term plot which failed miserably and he got fired. The next guy was just as dumb and did the same damn thing.

There's nothing wrong with putting the people together - you just have to know where you're headed with it. 99% of the time, they put people together to appease idiots and have no idea how to handle it.

Now, as for Berlanti, Cephus got one of them. Blindspot is Berlanti as well. There's at least one more and i can't recall what it is off hand. I dont' care who you are, though, you can't be 'the guy' for a 5-6 different shows. You don't have time to even do outlines for that many seasons let alone do scrpts, direct, etc. You need to learn to find the right people to run the shows and be their resource for questions, etc. If he's doing more than that, no wonder they're sufferring. I'd say this year flash is down, Arrow is up, Legends was up, SG about the same, blindspot down a lot. The answer is likely the simplest, he's the glue and there's just not enough of him to go around.

I'll disagree with you on Castle. That didn't ruin it. It made it better for a time. The thing was it was a show about them and vehicle was the cases. What ruined it was the original show runner leaving right at the 'don't marry them, let the next guy decide' episode. The next guy missed the point totally and forced in a lame long term plot which failed miserably and he got fired. The next guy was just as dumb and did the same damn thing.

What made Castle great was the chemistry and the sexual tension between Castle and Beckett. Once they lost that, they lost a huge part of what made the show work. I really think they shouldn't have gotten together until the very last episode because after that, it just wasn't Castle anymore. That's why the show just foundered for a couple of seasons at the end, it just wasn't the show that it started off being.

There's nothing wrong with putting the people together - you just have to know where you're headed with it. 99% of the time, they put people together to appease idiots and have no idea how to handle it.

It works for some shows and not for others. It has to serve the plot, not, as you say, be done to appease idiots and far too often, that's why they do it, for ratings.

Now, as for Berlanti, Cephus got one of them. Blindspot is Berlanti as well. There's at least one more and i can't recall what it is off hand. I dont' care who you are, though, you can't be 'the guy' for a 5-6 different shows. You don't have time to even do outlines for that many seasons let alone do scrpts, direct, etc. You need to learn to find the right people to run the shows and be their resource for questions, etc. If he's doing more than that, no wonder they're sufferring. I'd say this year flash is down, Arrow is up, Legends was up, SG about the same, blindspot down a lot. The answer is likely the simplest, he's the glue and there's just not enough of him to go around.

Arrow is up only because there wasn't a lot of places it could go down. If you go from the first seasons of all of those shows, with the possible exception of Supergirl, which wasn't all that great, I think all of the shows are down. Arrow has never hit the highs that it hit at the beginning. Neither has Flash. Neither has Blindspot. I think Berlanti is a great idea guy but he isn't really in control of all of these shows. He isn't a director. He is a writer on most of them and a producer on all of them, but I don't know how much of the day-to-day business he really gets involved in, especially after the first season when he's moved on to other things.

Moonlighting, Lois and Clark, Castle. Three prime examples of why letting people get together on shows that are built on sexual tension is a show killer.

I feel Berlanti and I are a lot a like. I have good ideas but they are very rough and general. I would need people that I know and trust to be able to come up with the fine point details to really make the story compelling and long running. I wonder if that is his issue 1. lack of people he trusts or people that can carry his vision or 2. He is just not a good delegator.

Moonlighting, Lois and Clark, Castle. Three prime examples of why letting people get together on shows that are built on sexual tension is a show killer.

Exactly. Shippers kill shows.

I feel Berlanti and I are a lot a like. I have good ideas but they are very rough and general. I would need people that I know and trust to be able to come up with the fine point details to really make the story compelling and long running. I wonder if that is his issue 1. lack of people he trusts or people that can carry his vision or 2. He is just not a good delegator.

You also have to remember that the longer a show goes on, the more involved the network gets in trying to control it and the network doesn't really care about how good the show is, only how much money it can make them. They want shows that are advertiser friendly so they make more ad revenue. The goal of the network and the goal of the producers are often diametrically opposed.

I'm still liking this show. I thought last night's episode was pretty good. Always glad to see Snart back. I loved the JAWS reference of "Can't afford to make the shark look good so don't show it much" and then by using the "ice-smoke" they reduced Kingshark to nothing but a fin. I thought that was pretty funny.

I also loved his "Plan" logic. What was it? Something like-
Make the plan
Execute the plan
Expect the plan to go awry
Throw away the plan
Make a new plan!

I don't think she is but if Iris is gone that is 3 brutal seasons for Barry. I think HR used that tech Barry used to swap himself out for Iris.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back