Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Apparently the Falcon has some sort of AI or system that puts out landing gear - so why wouldn't it have some sort of guidance system that counters gravity pulls? I'm not a scientist - but, from what I understand all mass has some gravity. The Falcon might have a system that accounts for unexpected gravity pulls - large, rogue asteroids or whatever the depths of space might have.

Obviously the Falcon had an autopilot, so what was it capable of - what safety systems are built into the ship? I'm suggesting something more inline with what a lot of cars have now with automatic braking or lane detection. Something quick and simple - it's meant to buy time for the pilot to get up there and handle the situation, not completely overcome the it.

Or... Han shut down the Falcon before it was detected and they weren't 'clearly fighting against the tractor beam' and not in a way that would be detectable.

Tractor beams are not a bad thing. They are a tool to help ships land safely or pull in a ship that does not have power.

Tractor beams are very strong. It is like asking if deer don't like getting shot, why doesn't their body reject bullets. Simple... bullets have a lot of energy moving them. No matter how much that deer doesn't want to get shot by that hunter, that deer is gonna have a bad day. In turn.. no matter how much Han doesn't want the Falcon caught in a tractor beam... he's going to have a bad day.

You have to accept that in the Star Wars universe, technology has limitations. Because you can just go overboard and ask, why are trooper blasters not coded to the trooper they are assigned to? What are there not security codes needed to access control rooms and detention areas?

We can only assume that a tractor beam does not detect resistance. So the imperials has no knowledge or concern about whether the Falcon was resisting the beam or not.

Apparently the Falcon has some sort of AI or system that puts out landing gear - so why wouldn't it have some sort of guidance system that counters gravity pulls? I'm not a scientist - but, from what I understand all mass has some gravity. The Falcon might have a system that accounts for unexpected gravity pulls - large, rogue asteroids or whatever the depths of space might have.

Obviously the Falcon had an autopilot, so what was it capable of - what safety systems are built into the ship? I'm suggesting something more inline with what a lot of cars have now with automatic braking or lane detection. Something quick and simple - it's meant to buy time for the pilot to get up there and handle the situation, not completely overcome the it.

Or... Han shut down the Falcon before it was detected and they weren't 'clearly fighting against the tractor beam' and not in a way that would be detectable.

Your car probably has anti-lock breaks, that doesn't mean it has artificial intelligence. Deciding what to do against a tractor beam seems to be a bit more advanced than "don't land without the landing gear down".

Then again, I guess the whole thing is moot, considering I can't come up with a reason why a ship would come out of hyperspace without a crew. Did they eject in hyperspace?

Your car probably has anti-lock breaks, that doesn't mean it has artificial intelligence. Deciding what to do against a tractor beam seems to be a bit more advanced than "don't land without the landing gear down".

Then again, I guess the whole thing is moot, considering I can't come up with a reason why a ship would come out of hyperspace without a crew. Did they eject in hyperspace?

Because no crew was on board before hyperspace. And you could do this by...

...activate via remote.

...activate hyperspace on time delay?

...place a rock over the hyperspace button and counter balance it with a block of ice. When the ice melts, the rock hits the button.

Must I go on?

Tractor beams are not a bad thing. They are a tool to help ships land safely or pull in a ship that does not have power.

Tractor beams are very strong. It is like asking if deer don't like getting shot, why doesn't their body reject bullets. Simple... bullets have a lot of energy moving them. No matter how much that deer doesn't want to get shot by that hunter, that deer is gonna have a bad day. In turn.. no matter how much Han doesn't want the Falcon caught in a tractor beam... he's going to have a bad day.

You have to accept that in the Star Wars universe, technology has limitations. Because you can just go overboard and ask, why are trooper blasters not coded to the trooper they are assigned to? What are there not security codes needed to access control rooms and detention areas?

We can only assume that a tractor beam does not detect resistance. So the imperials has no knowledge or concern about whether the Falcon was resisting the beam or not.

I'm not sure if you two are just trolling or what; but, here goes...

I didn't say tractor beams are a bad thing. I don't recall them saying in Star Wars that (all) tractor beams are very strong. ...and I never implied that they are or aren't.

Um, not sure how the whole deer analogy applies here. I'm more akin to the there's a kid on a bike, let's avoid them... or a car in front of us, brake. There are collision avoidance systems in place in many vehicles today. I'll avoid a bunch of stuff that doesn't really seem to apply here....

In Star Wars tech does have it's limitations - but, it's also got space ships, Death Stars, sound in space, lightsabers and laser blasters. This is fiction and they do want they want and make it canon (and then they press 'clear history' and start over) - they don't have to and usually don't explain their tech.

I didn't say this was AI, @Cephus is - that's your term, not mine. I included the term 'system' as I thought AI was a bit much.

I am merely suggesting since it appears that the Falcon was (apparently) seen to the Imperials as being on auto-pilot (since they think "the crew abandoned ship right after takeoff"); and based on the idea in this thread that since the Falcon went into "full reverse" it was somehow detectable that this could be explained by some guidance or avoidance system.

It's not that "more advanced" than putting landing gear down - or having a ship on auto-pilot, in fact - I think it's a fair assessment that this is part of auto-pilot's job - just as it apparently zipped the Falcon through hyperspace and avoided remnants of Alderaan.

Last edited:
I don't recall them saying in Star Wars that (all) tractor beams are very strong.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/tractor?s=t

tractor

[trak-ter]
Spell Syllables

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
1.a powerful motor-driven vehicle with large, heavy treads, used forpulling farm machinery, other vehicles, etc.

2.Also called truck tractor. a short truck with a driver's cab but nobody, designed for hauling a trailer or semitrailer.

3.something used for drawing or pulling.

I'd speculate if the beams were not strong, they would be referred as something like...

"scooter beams"

or

"tricycle beams"

or

"hamster in a ball beam"

...must i go on? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Trolling.

Again - I never said a tractor beam weren't very strong. Regardless, It's relative term - is my garden tractor "very strong" compared to 8R series John Deere? :rolleyes

Regardless, it looked like Han knew they weren't going to break free of the tractor beam.

How about - from a programming standpoint - making so the landing gear is automatic is pretty damned easy, whereas dealing with a tractor beam is extremely difficult?

Friendly or not? Foe? 3rd party? Good samaritan? How hard to fight? when to fight? when to give up? etc.

Not to mention, it's not even established they have AI on their ships. Automated landing gear is not AI. Not remotely close.

I think a nerd line was just crossed here. How many posts were discussing the landing gear of the damn millenium falcon, vs tractor beams? :lol

And then people give me **** about wondering how the hell Maz got Luke's lightsaber, which is clearly a valid point, story wise. Damn nerds! :rolleyes

I think a nerd line was just crossed here. How many posts were discussing the landing gear of the damn millenium falcon, vs tractor beams? :lol

And then people give me **** about wondering how the hell Maz got Luke's lightsaber, which is clearly a valid point, story wise. Damn nerds! :rolleyes

...Sorry for starting that,....it was meant to emphasise that there are plenty of unanswered issues & gaps where you have to use your brain to imagine how scenes or stories go from a-c..& really it's not worth worrying about......

..but instead it brought the magnifying glass out

But the Maz/lightsaber thing was the main thing I was trying to get people to stop worrying about,...:facepalm

J

I imagine that any ship would have an automatic landing gear whenever it's in close proximity to a landing surface.

Landing without your landing gear down would be pretty bad. Especially for a ship like the falcon that has an entrance ramp on the bottom

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I didn't say this was AI, @Cephus is - that's your term, not mine. I included the term 'system' as I thought AI was a bit much.

Actually, in post #4180, which I was responding to, you absolutely used the term "AI". And yes, we know that in the Star Wars universe, AI absolutely exists, we just haven't seen the Falcon actually operate as though it was artificially intelligent. Not saying it can't be, just saying that we haven't seen it on screen.

How about - from a programming standpoint - making so the landing gear is automatic is pretty damned easy, whereas dealing with a tractor beam is extremely difficult?
Yet we have collision avoidance in today's cars? All the Falcon did was go into reverse - or try to avoid something pulling at it (gravity or magnetic or whatever) - which wouldn't be too far out of the realm of collision avoidance.

Actually, in post #4180, which I was responding to, you absolutely used the term "AI". And yes, we know that in the Star Wars universe, AI absolutely exists, we just haven't seen the Falcon actually operate as though it was artificially intelligent. Not saying it can't be, just saying that we haven't seen it on screen.
Post 4178

Empire Strikes Back. C-3PO: "I don't know where your ship learned to communicate, but it has a most peculiar dialect." Threepio was talking to something that was part of the ship.

--Jonah

Empire Strikes Back. C-3PO: "I don't know where your ship learned to communicate, but it has a most peculiar dialect." Threepio was talking to something that was part of the ship.

--Jonah

I think that most machinery in the Star Wars universe has some sort of language capability, even the moisture vaporators on Owen's farm had a language. Most likely it's just an advanced diagnostic capability, instead of spitting out a simple code like things like cars do, my guess is that things like ships and moisture vaporators can communicate problems a little better than that, they can talk but I don't think that they can do more than tell you its current operating status, and if something's wrong, what.

Which gets to the point where distinguishing that from "AI" gets pretty murky. If a ship like the Falcon was "smart" enough that the onboard collision-avoidance type systems would know to 1) Follow a course, including time in hyperspace, raise shields prior to exiting hyperspace, and avoid (mostly) collisions with debris upon exit; 2) try to pull away from gravity wells (which a tractor beam would feel like); 3) when that fails, shut down to avoid damaging the engines; and 4) power down and lower landing gear (I imagine it's a preset subroutine, maybe what Luke was referring to when he said "I'm going to start the landing cycle"), I think it could do that just with basic "instinctual" self-preservation programming, with no "intelligence" entering into it.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back