Before I begin my AHN build, is my graflex vintage?

Dude... this is totally and positively 100% REAL. I'm even leaning toward that being the original rivet that MIGHT have been slotted in the attempt to remove it...

Show me a pic of the side where it sits behind the bunny ears. Also... TRY to unscrew it...

One thing I've seen is people used a punch, screw driver, whatever... to pound rivets back in to mushroom them out to be tighter. The loose rattle could be annoying for photographers.

That's the ONLY suspect part. The rest... don't worry about it at all. 100% I say again ONE HUNDRED PERCENT REAL GENUINE G R A F L E X

I'll snap a picture of the side view of the rivet/screw. If I can't do it when I get home and crash, I'll post it first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you very much for sharing your insight. It means a lot to me. I feel like I can seriously, finally rest. Whew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pretty much.

So I carefully got a flathead screwdriver and matched the tip on it to the slot in the screw/rivet. I gave it a gentle turn in both directions. It wasn't difficult to turn, but it wasn't super easy either. As I turned the screwdriver the screw//rivet didn't either tighten down, or screw outward. From what I can tell, there was no threading on the screw/pin or on the inside of the clamp. At all. Nothing stripped. There was slight resistance, but turns in both directions were smooth. Here are some more close ups of the back of the pin and the front, for further detail inspection.
5c31467d1ab06ee802670582038b3dc8.jpg
35c7358eee78bcb154587044db80e50d.jpg
85c5c3ca5e2b40f1374d47af1cacda6c.jpg
6223ccbd22f4512b41c9a86898d84f9c.jpg
5b6b8cef89d6bb85b73bcc53138d8d24.jpg
aa91efd18d81f6e0612514d3ad04fa9a.jpg

Shrug... well it's possible it IS the original rivet. I wouldn't think too much about it. Either replace it with another vintage rivet or just live with it. If you want it replaced and are afraid to do it, I can always do it for you.

All of the rivets on my real Graflexs have very domed heads, that looks more like a machine screw and not the original rivet. It would be really hard to saw a screw notch in a rivet head as domed as the original.

I'd be curious to see a photo of the Parks screw head.

Last edited:
Don't the early Folmer's have the 2 side by side dimples on the inside of the bulb holder/bunny ears on one side? I can't see that on the OPs bunny ears.

Shrug... well it's possible it IS the original rivet. I wouldn't think too much about it. Either replace it with another vintage rivet or just live with it. If you want it replaced and are afraid to do it, I can always do it for you.

The mysterious screw. Haha. Honestly, it really doesn't bother me too much, but I'll keep you in mind for replacing it. If I did have you replace it, it wouldn't be until august or September. Is there an appropriate way to reach you? Like an internet store front for your services? Or just message you? I think it would be pretty cool to have an accurate vintage rivet to match the rest. I'm also trying to find the best way to clean it. I kind of really like the funkiness, but I'd really like to preserve it as it is, and try to prevent the rust from spreading as much as I can. What do you recommend for cleaning and preservation? I'd like to be able to give this to my kids someday and be able to keep it as it is without it deteriorating any further.

All of the rivets on my real Graflexs have very domed heads, that looks more like a machine screw and not the original rivet. It would be really hard to saw a screw notch in a rivet head as domed as the original.

I'd be curious to see a photo of the Parks screw head.

I tried to hunt down a picture from the internet, but couldn't find any pictures of the parks close up on the screw. Besides what's already been posted on the rpf. I could have spent more time searching, but am very busy today.

So here are close up pics of my Parks V1. I'm not sure what the rear tube is as it has no stamp.
Anyway, I was told the front is a Parks V1. Hope this adds something to the knowledge.

IMG_0805.JPGIMG_0806.JPG

I did find a photo of a Parks screw and I noticed it has a smooth shaft and only has threads down at the very bottom.

If you pulled that screw out and it has threads all the way from the screw head to the end, then it's most likely a screw that someone used to replace the original rivet. Maybe the photographer took the top apart to get the guts out to clean corrosion off the battery contacts.

I did find a photo of a Parks screw and I noticed it has a smooth shaft and only has threads down at the very bottom.

If you pulled that screw out and it has threads all the way from the screw head to the end, then it's most likely a screw that someone used to replace the original rivet. Maybe the photographer took the top apart to get the guts out to clean corrosion off the battery contacts.

I'm not sure the safest way to remove it. I'll admit that the screw holding my bunny ears on is very similar to the pictures that you have posted of the shiny unweathered one on your parks. Not sure how to go about this.... very carefully I suppose!

Soooo that was very difficult! But, I somehow managed to pull it out without causing damage. Looks to be threaded only at the bottom, like you said the parks are, but they've always made screws that weren't fully threaded right? Although it does make it more difficult to discern. The thing is bent quite a bit and looks like the end without the head and slot was "mushroomed" to keep it in place, probably why it's bent, from being smashed from one end... but here's the pics for your inspection.
445f3fe4a28032478823e24833b716a2.jpg
ac9112f47ea2bcd47e6a78bf809966fe.jpg
2ffdbf7c8df67693140a1ba0b3e57f4d.jpg
c57c096d86e2910c707a7662c7b7872c.jpg
08d7b002495e24c49c5d5dae7123c961.jpg
a11d38548fe2a2a3df036059a2097c2c.jpg
b06bd63f3b3a0b028b82277426f90e43.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for hunting that photo down! Yeah, this screw has enough differences that I really don't think it's a parks! More good news. Now, if I take it that far, I'll have to find somebody with a vintage rivet willing to sell it. Or get a replica rivet and weather it.... or just live with it. Again, thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back