Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

If only LFL had come to this decision sooner they could have brought in Joss Whedon to finish the last few weeks of filming. :lol

Rumors and odds-callers are saying Ron Howard, which in a way, seems like a no-brainer. He's always been so low key I forget just how many movies he's made, and he's technically part of the Lucasfilm family.

Suicide Squad had director/studio clashes.
Fantastic Four had director/studio clashes.
Ant-Man had director/studio clashes.
Rogue One had reshoots.

Are studios getting worse at picking compatible directors, are they making changes on the fly or are there just more sites that report this stuff now?

Rogue One had reshoots.

Well, I guess this means the Solo film has a 50-50 shot at being good because I hated the first two movies on that list and really liked the other two. :lol

The behind the scenes dramas on each of these Disney era movies sound far more entertaining than the movies themselves. At this point I'd rather see a warts and all "Making of" documentary than any fictional work that the Story Group is planning to remake or re-imagine.

Not surprisingly Lucasfilm would rather we believe that it's all smooth sailing so yet again we'll be left to wonder if the creative path not taken was better than the lackluster product Lucasfilm & Disney DID sell us.

I have a friend who is working on the production and he told me weeks ago that the studio was really unhappy with the look of the film too - i.e. the cinematographer was shooting it too dark to even see what what was going on. He said they had to reshoot loads and loads of it just due to this - very very fraught he said :/

Rogue One had reshoots.

Are studios getting worse at picking compatible directors, are they making changes on the fly or are there just more sites that report this stuff now?

Woah woah woah!!! Ant-Man was awesome!!

Oh man! How hard can it be? There's fan films all over YT that are tonally SW and many video games too. These guys have a Disney budget and still can't get it right. Alarm bells have been ringing since the casting.
If they want these new movies to look and feel like SW, why hire directors with their own creative vision? If the decision is based on their previous work it seems a bit hit and miss to me.
JJA - yes, GE - no, RJ - yes, L&M - no, CT - no.
People may criticise JJ for 'remaking' ANH but it was needed mainly due to the disappointment of the prequels as discussed at length in the TFA thread. Clearly, he understands fundamentally what it is that makes Star Wars. Is he available or does he, like the rest of us SW fans, realise this Han Solo movie is a bad idea?
If they stopped trying to flesh out or make up back stories for established characters that are already fully formed they could have creative freedom to go anywhere and anytime in this Galaxy far far away.

Half of me wonders if this is a publicity stunt to get people talking about the film. The other half knows that's crazy, but still...

Deja vu anybody????
About exactly this time last year there was THE SAME monumental hullabaloo over "Rogue One" being a total wreak and the powers to be demanding they reshoot at least half of it. And in the end it wasn't the disaster everyone predicted really.
I would also remind people they also fired the original director , Josh Trank ,from that project before it got to shooting and even with their new choice ,it sounded like Gareth ultimately only just survived the experience by the skin of his teeth.
Yet the truth is I happily watch and rewatch R1 far more often than I ever have TFA, whose flaws just seems to exasperate me with repeated viewings. R1 really gets better, particularly if you watch ANH immediately afterward. Its not perfect , but its my third favorite SW movie at this moment in time.
I still think there are several factors at play here. This rush to roll one film per year after another seems to be causing huge problems. Key decisions on directing and casting do seem to be strategically flawed from the go get and this has got to be hugely expensive ,disruptive and detrimental to the production.
I was surprised when Lucasfilm hired these two, stylistically none of their films seemed anywhere near what you would have expected for a SW film.But LF and Disney said they would take risks with the standalones. It now seems that a more conservsative approach seems to be winning the day, so tonally the films will match eachother with out any one of them really being "Out there", like the kind of daft comedy this movie looks like it might have been going to be.
Also, it feels these days as if the directors these days have less and less control over their "vision". Given the studios can effectively see whats being shot daily almost immediately, I imagine the alarm bells started ringing pretty early. But the original fault of whose choice it was to hire those director lies squarely with the heads of the studios. And the rate at which they are going through people is not going to encourage anyone with any talent to sign up in the future. No director wants to be removed from the movie they were hired to make,thats career poison
Many of the fans expressed their reservations on this project choice, and again the fault of this lies with the studio heads !!! Lucasfilm and Disney be warned.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back