Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I wonder if anyone knows what this black rectangle is:

View attachment 807034

These are the best images I can find of it, cropped from display pics.
004.JPG 002.JPG 001.JPG

And this from a 1977 pic.
003.JPG

Just a swag at it, but you know what that kind of looks like to me...a 1/4 moon shaped dip in the hull with a bar across it...like where you could attach a cable of safety line. It probably isn't but the only reason I say that is I recently saw the first couple epies of Lost in Space and there was something similar. though I know in the SW universe they've never done any suited up EVA. just a thought
Thank you for the images.
Looking at the edges of the rectangle, to me, it does look as though something was originally pasted there.

Just a swag at it, but you know what that kind of looks like to me...a 1/4 moon shaped dip in the hull with a bar across it...like where you could attach a cable of safety line. It probably isn't but the only reason I say that is I recently saw the first couple epies of Lost in Space and there was something similar. though I know in the SW universe they've never done any suited up EVA. just a thought

Thanks. Reminds me how Lando hooked a cable when he opened the top hatch to rescue Luke.

Except that one can tell from robn1's pics that it's a flat coloration, rather than a shadow, and the "bar" is a scrape or smear going across at an angle rather than straight...

Except that one can tell from robn1's pics that it's a flat coloration, rather than a shadow

Yes.
I know this may sound extremely trivial, but my point of interest is whether the black rectangle was;
a) intended (painted / applied / something fell-off to expose the black primer but had been positively decided to leave it that way/ etc.)
or
b) not intended (something fell-off to expose the black primer and wasn't fixed prior to filming due to it being unnoticed)

Yes.
I know this may sound extremely trivial, but my point of interest is whether the black rectangle was;
a) intended (painted / applied / something fell-off to expose the black primer but had been positively decided to leave it that way/ etc.)
or
b) not intended (something fell-off to expose the black primer and wasn't fixed prior to filming due to it being unnoticed)

Oh, I know. Just wanted to head off the speculation that it was a shadowed recess. I'm definitely in the "something was there and that's the black primer coat showing through" camp. But since we have no photos early enough that show what that something might have been... *shrug* I can speculate. From the evenness of the white edge between the weathering and the black, I'm figuring either a model part or even just two stacked layers of scrap styrene, upper one slightly bigger. The rectangular base was what got glued to the paint (and what took the paint with it, leaving the primer), and the overhang prevented the weathering from getting on that narrow strip of white all the way round. Maybe a tank access panel? The kind of model kit part that has the stepped-in raised back to help it seat properly in the opening... I'd look in that direction with the known donor kits. See if any have a simple rectangular piece -- whatever the surface detailing -- of the right approximate size.

Since whatever was there fell off after weathering, I'm going to say it's absence is like the "mystery disc" on Han's blaster. It fell off late enough they just shrugged and went "meh".

I wish we had pictures of the Falcon all greebled up, but not yet painted. Black primer, raw kit-part plastic, metal fan bezels, etc.

Whenever I finally get to that point on mine, I'm probably going to double-mask it to prep it exactly like on the 5-footer, ready for any piece that is ultimately identified.

I’m not sure if this has been already answered or not, but does anyone know what the panels colors are for the ANH falcon?

I’ve been researching across quite a few websites and couldn’t seem to find a accurate answer, more or less, I got the base color, or the ESB 32” colors drilled into my head, the result I wasn’t looking for :p

I’d be more than happy if you guys could give a list of what tamiya, gunze, MM or custom mixes are a good color to the original.

Thanks

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back