Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
That's true, as is the self-conscious over enunciation and emphasized drag on the last word of most of the lines. It's not authentic. And before anyone goes off on me, I'm not an Ingruber hater. He just plays better with extreme character voices.

Nothing that could not have been corrected by utilizing a acting coach. Wait a minute, didn't they have to do that with "the experienced guy" they went with. ;)

Hey Cayman yeah he was fine. He did a good job. I guess I'm still hoping that Disney might try for great or excellent or outstanding. Like the original actor who played Han Solo had roughly the same or less acting experience as AE when a he filmed a new hope. But who did a better job?

I'm 42, grew up with Ford, and I love him. But him acting in ANH was pretty amateurish in places, honestly. I still love him 1000x more than Alden...my point is Alden wasn't BAD. ALDEN isn't why Solo is bombing.

Ford does not have an extreme voice, and AI does him very well. (Not talking about the over-the-top youtube video he made more than a decade ago, soon after he'd turned 18.)

It's criminal we'll never see him as Han.

The Wook

Sorry, yeah extreme character voices as in caricature. He's more competent with caricatures.

Last edited:
Yeah, @therethere, you should listen to Cappy--he knows the score.

An acting coach is often brought in to manage damage control when a production gets off the rails. Actors can feel scattered & insecure - they're actors, they do insecure better than most - and that they need to reconnect with the "voice" of their character. Considering the cluster**** that Solo started out with no wonder Alden needed some extra direction. And most likely Ron Howard wouldn't have had as much time, as he probably would have liked, to work with him.

Of course, I'm just speculating on the particulars of this situation. It's all just speculation anyway. Until the true story comes out. Which will most likely be never.

P.S. Sam Rockwell thanked his acting coach in his Oscar acceptance speech. Great actor's use them all the time.

P.P.S. Alden was a pretty great Han for this film.

Last edited:
I'm 42, grew up with Ford, and I love him. But him acting in ANH was pretty amateurish in places, honestly. I still love him 1000x more than Alden...my point is Alden wasn't BAD. ALDEN isn't why Solo is bombing.

I agree.....I blame it mainly on The Last Jedi

I base that on my son, daughter, their friends & my friends

My kids didn't want to go....they say Star Wars is stupid

My mates didn't want to waste their money,.....theyr'e gonna wait till theres a good screener to watch

J

I totally respect everyone and their reluctance to see this film. I totally get it if you have seen it and don't like it. I really, and I know I mentioned it before, really had very little interest in this film when I first heard about it. I didn't care for the guy they cast as Han and didn't really feel this movie needed to be made. I also sure didn't want it to be made. But I went and saw it. The absolute worst part of it for me is the stupid L3-37 droid. Garbage. The movie would have been light years better without it. But other than that, and well, a slightly cheesy start with text explaining the story, the movie was good. Not great, but good. It had a consistent story that made sense far more than other films we've recently gotten, which I won't name here, but you know them. Han was pretty good as Han, and lets face it, no one will ever be able to fill Ford's shoes, but this guy did a decent job with the role. I loved the Han and Chewy relationship more than anything else in the movie. After what we recently got from the new trilogy, I honestly, truly, really, was not all about this film. I really did only go to see it out of boredom. It is a good film.

I agree.....I blame it mainly on The Last Jedi
J

It would have been interesting if at the time of the directorial change they also took advantage of that to push the release to December. It would have provided Ron Howard quite a bit of time to finish, although I don't think he rushed out an unfinished project. It would have allowed the marketing to begin more holisticly instead of waiting until TLJ left theaters and had it's home release to begin the campaign. And it would have put more time between the films to allow the fan base to quiet down a bit. That's likely what they are thinking internally playing Monday morning quarterback. I would note that this will not result in any changes in the current management structure at Lucasfilm nor their previously announced future projects. They have an aggressive long term plan for content that will continue and they understand that when you start releasing a film per year or more, there will inevitably be one's that don't perform as well financially. This is the first, there will be others, that's the cost of being in this business. As long as the successes are more frequent then the failures, the franchise and brand is defended and continues to grow.

Yes, RLM has jumped the shark, big time. It's excruciating to watch now. And so convoluted that you don't even know when they're being sarcastic or sincere much of the time.

The Wook

Nonsense. Their material still has the same integrity it always had.

And anyone actually familiar with their shows knows when they are doing a bit and when they are in real discussion.

No, he's not the sole reason. But I think he's a symptom of the problem.

Sure, he's fine. But he's forgettable. That's a quality Harrison Ford never had. Even when delivering questionable dialog, his charisma NEVER wavered.

The whole movie is, at best, just fine. And that's a huge problem for Star Wars.

The Last Jedi was never just "fine." People either loved it or believe it ruined Star Wars. The Prequels were never just "fine."

Previous Star Wars films have aspired to be great, whether they hit the mark or not. But this film, I feel like all it aspired to be was passable.

I like the cut of this guys jib:
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/8oi7tq/box_office_week_while_retaining_1_solo_a_star/

"Another weekend and another sign that we are looking at one of the most catastrophic failures of the year, and possibly any year, as the massively budgeted film had a terrible 65.3% drop this weekend to come in #1 with $29.2M. In comparison that's around what Rogue One and Last Jedi made in their fourth weekend and what Force Awakens made on its fifth. While it doesn't grab the record for biggest second weekend drop for a Star Wars film ("congrats" Last Jedi with your 67.5% drop) it is truly awful for a film that opened so much lower than expectations. And let's not forget Deadpool 2 moved away from this weekend because of fear that Solo would be so big it would cause Deadpool 2 to bomb. I've heard a lot of people saying that perhaps Solo bombed because of a crowded market but to me this weekend shows that theory doesn't hold a lot of water. It had zero major competition this weekend, no excuse for families on holiday, and the entire weekend is down $80M from last year showing there's room to expand here. It will be interesting to see what the vacuum of this failure has created for films like Ocean's 8 next weekend and especially Incredibles 2 which will feel like welcome relief for all the families who've not had a universal let's all go to the movies choice since Avengers. As it stands for Solo there really is no hope left for it. It had all the room in the world this weekend and still couldn't even manage a good return. Lucasfilm must be glad they now have a year and a half break to figure out what went wrong with Solo because if the same thing happens to Episode IX I think there may be legit riots in their buildings".

Alden lacked the child-like charisma beneath the tough exterior, which is what made Harrison Ford's version of the Solo character so likable. I felt like Han Solo was the least interesting character in his own movie -- and that's a bad thing.

I'm surprised this movie is getting such positive reception here. It really felt like a heartless spin-off, and I can't help but think that this movie did more to limit the Star Wars lore than it did to expand it.

I disagree with the assessment that if Solo loses money it will be because the "fans" chose to stick it to Disney. Honestly, we just don't have THAT much weight in the worldwide market. The Last Jedi didn't pull the box office numbers it did because of the fans who saw it and hated it. It pulled those numbers because of the massive number of people, many of whom are just cursory Star Wars fans, who liked it and who saw it more than once -- a community that if we're all being honest here, dwarfs us by a long shot (box office numbers don't lie).

The problem with Solo is that it's a film that even within the fan community, not a whole heck of a lot of people really much wanted... or at the very least, saw the point in. People who are NOT hardcore fans equate Han Solo with Harrison Ford on enough of a level that, frankly, this film just doesn't hold a lot of interest.

And the fact that the end result is pretty much just "meh," well, repeat business isn't really in the cards.

Disney made a niche film and hoped it would pull mainstream numbers. Pure and simple.

I disagree with the assessment that if Solo loses money it will be because the "fans" chose to stick it to Disney. Honestly, we just don't have THAT much weight in the worldwide market. The Last Jedi didn't pull the box office numbers it did because of the fans who saw it and hated it. It pulled those numbers because of the massive number of people, many of whom are just cursory Star Wars fans, who liked it and who saw it more than once -- a community that if we're all being honest here, dwarfs us by a long shot (box office numbers don't lie).

The problem with Solo is that it's a film that even within the fan community, not a whole heck of a lot of people really much wanted... or at the very least, saw the point in. People who are NOT hardcore fans equate Han Solo with Harrison Ford on enough of a level that, frankly, this film just doesn't hold a lot of interest.

And the fact that the end result is pretty much just "meh," well, repeat business isn't really in the cards.

Disney made a niche film and hoped it would pull mainstream numbers. Pure and simple.

Why TLJ made the numbers it did and why it dropped off so quickly was discussed a page or two back. The fact that this will be the only Star Wars movie ever to fail and fail badly yet have favorable reviews shows that not only Star Wars fans wanted to show Disney the error of their ways but also the mainstream audience.

yeah I'd have to agree I don't think it's about his acting but it's the bigger picture of the choices that are being made around this new batch of films. SW fatigue is starting to set in with the fanbase (it is with me) as Disney aims for the c+ grade :) (b-?)

Also no disrespect intended to Alden (I'm sure he's reading this thread) I've no doubt he brought his A-game to the job and got all the help and support he could get his hands on.

Last edited:
Every time I hear 'SWIQ' it sounds more pretentious, as if folks who didn't live and breathe the OT like we did as kids can't have a valid opinion on what makes Star Wars what it is. Does it have a certain hard to describe quality that sets it apart? Sure. Does your assumed ability to quantify that in your own mind make you any more or less qualified in your opinion? Nah. I don't think so.
Was Solo the second coming? No (would that it were), but I never expected it to be and got the fun I wanted out of it. It's a shame that it's not doing better because it's totally watchable.

Why TLJ made the numbers it did and why it dropped off so quickly was discussed a page or two back. The fact that this will be the only Star Wars movie ever to fail and fail badly yet have favorable reviews shows that not only Star Wars fans wanted to show Disney the error of their ways but also the mainstream audience.

If that's what you want to believe, more power to you. But there are more casual movie goers than there are Star Wars fans. That's a fact. And they are the ones who drive the ultra high box office numbers. Second weekend fall off or not, The Last Jedi was still pulling money Solo will never see. And the next installment in the trilogy will also pull box office numbers that were never in the cards for Solo. Mark my words.

The ONLY way that Solo would be knocking it out of the park right now is if it were more than a "fine" movie receiving "pretty good" reviews. The reality is, it's a niche entry in Star Wars and it just isn't that good.

The "fans" didn't do this.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back