Sand Crawler Help

SpamDaddy

Hello to all,
I was wondering if anyone had any extensive reference material about the Sandcrawler. I would like to build a large version but I am not sure where to start. I have no idea the size or scale of the vehicle and haven't found a whole lot online so far regarding the interior.

I remember having one when I was young and it seemed like it needed a lot of batteries. I can't remember what all it did but I believe it had a remote of some sort or maybe it played noises? It's all running together in my memories. At any rate I remember being disappointed because it was just a big plastic box really and it didn't have real treads it had plastic wheels with treads for a façade. It had sticker "details" instead of real stuff and you could open the top to show the "cockpit" area and put figures in. I believe I got it for my birthday in 79 or 80 maybe. I think it was 80 actually because we traveled to New Orleans to hear Ronald Reagan speak as he was running for president.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone had any plans at any scale that could be scaled up or down and any interior information. Thanks in advance!

Lee

Hi Lee,

My advice would be to search the net for reference images. I'm sure somebody has some high rez images that might help get you started. Here are a few images I was able to find. If you use these as ref you can scale to any size you want. :)

Hope these help!

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp...xcerpt-scupting-a-galaxy-page-76-77-x1600.jpg

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp...xcerpt-making-of-star-wars-page-248-x1200.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=46454&p=624880&viewfull=1#post624880

Sweet, thanks for these, Sofa. I appreciate that you are awake and able to post them as well as that you gave me some of your Falcon time! lol
Say, in your spare time wanna build a 1:1 Sandcrawler?

:::runs away before something gets thrown at'im:::

On a serious note, loving what you are doing with the Falcon project. It's obviously a labor of absolute love. If you ever need extra man power for anything I could probably shoot up there on a Saturday and help out with a little notice.

Lee

There is some artwork in one of the illustrated universe books of the crawlers with their doors open that was done by Ralph McQuarrie

illustratedSWuniverse.jpg
Jaawa.jpg

Then there is this
petediary1_2.jpg
And the incredible cross sections
fnw8f9f2hin510zdpnqj.jpg

Doesn't that ramp seem terribly steep? I can't see how it would be useful at that inclination unless the Jawas are using it for a slide. The ramp in this photo conflicts with other drawings and info in the SW universe (Which really isn't a surprise). Perhaps it has some sort of artificial gravity conveyor.

TazMan2000

I've always collected sandcrawlers/jawas so I noticed that in Episode II there is a scene where Anakin is talking to jawas and in background you can see this ramp lowered on a crawler. Maybe they back it up to a hill..lol, as it does seem a bit steep.

edit: my bad, the scene I'm referring to is actually a pic in above post...sorry

Sweet, thanks for these, Sofa. I appreciate that you are awake and able to post them as well as that you gave me some of your Falcon time! lol
Say, in your spare time wanna build a 1:1 Sandcrawler?

:::runs away before something gets thrown at'im:::

On a serious note, loving what you are doing with the Falcon project. It's obviously a labor of absolute love. If you ever need extra man power for anything I could probably shoot up there on a Saturday and help out with a little notice.

Lee

Hi L,

Thanks so much! Would enjoy building the SC. Unfortunately, once the MF is finished, I've been tasked to build a Death Star and Star Destroyer (makes for a better picture and gives a good scale ref) ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back