Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 12/2/2018

Re: Fallout 3: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 9/26/17

Hey guys, a small bit of updating here.Been working on finalizing the FO4 T51 main shell. We are officially down to the very last little spots to correct. Just a few areas to sand/correct, and this shell will be ready for mold making! Figured I'd share a few photos since the last pics were rather crappy.

XeAYNZT.jpg

0aOlfW4.jpg

nwKS61I.jpg

Here's some pics with and without the small handful of parts I've been working on as well. Still a few parts to print out, and I actually expect to be printing those soon.

1e4syMj.jpg

517nUgX.jpg

v1KaZ7G.jpg

The rear hose tubes, which are also near total completion. Maybe a couple hours left, tops.

2XvvvUJ.jpg

And the headlamp lens. Still a good bit of polishing to do on this part still, but clean up has been going well.

WR2fPb8.jpg

Will have more updates on this helmet soon, as well as the ongoing work to finish up the FO3 T51b helmet. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Nah, nothing new in terms of news. Things are still sorta at a stand still. I'm waiting to get the funds to move things further along, specifically the printing resin to finish up the last greebles I need to print for both versions of the T-51 helmets. And while most of the work is indeed done on the FO4 version's helmet shell, I will need to acquire the silicone to make the mold for it. Both sets of materials are costly, so I haven't been able to swing it just yet.

I should be able to start acquiring said materials soon, though, after the holidays pass. This time of year is thick for me, as we have Xmas, then New Year's day is my wife's birthday, then two days after that is my little girl's birthday. Just trying to keep my head above water through all of it.

As for the FO3 version, work was looking good, but the weather started getting cold. Hard to work in the freezing temps, so for now, she's sitting on the shelf waiting. There's a small bit of bondo work to be done on the joint seams of the prints, and I stick to staying outside with any bondo work. I can do clean up work on the resin prints inside, but I don't mess with bondo sanding inside. I'm hoping that as I get printing resin on hand again, I can get the last couple greebes for the FO3 version printed and mastered. Most of the parts for this one have been printed, mastered and even molded. So the more greebes I can get done now, the less I'll have to worry about when finalizing the shell.

So in short, more waiting. The good news I guess you could say is that everything is progressing very well. I'm really happy with how the FO4 version's shell has turned out, and I do believe this helmet is gonna look totally bad ass. Just need to slowly get it done, as money permits.

How much did you say you were goin to sell the finished kits for? Also, where will you be selling them (website)?

How much did you say you were goin to sell the finished kits for? Also, where will you be selling them (website)?

Well, I can't answer your first question. It's against the rules here on the boards to discuss prices outside the Junkyard/Project Runs section. Aside from that, I won't really know the answer until they're made. In short, I need to see how much it costs to make them before I can determine how much to sell them for.

They will be sold here, on the RPF. Once ready, they'll be listed in the Junkyard/Project Runs forums. They will only be offered here on the RPF, and will be a limited run.

I'm sorry to bother again, but out of curiosity, would you happen to be willing to sell the models you used to print these helmets?

I'm sorry to bother again, but out of curiosity, would you happen to be willing to sell the models you used to print these helmets?

No, I'm afraid not.

One of the biggest reasons, that I don't think many folks think about, is that pretty much all of the helmet models were done by another artist. I commissioned cassius to make all the helmet models (with the exception of the Fallout 4 version T-51), and it was not part of our deal for me to go and resell the models he created. When he was hired to do these models for me, I had not begun the journey of 3d modeling myself. Now that I am 3d modeling, I can relate to why I would not want someone reselling a 3d model I had made for them. Overall, it's just bad form.

Aside from that, I've put a lot of labor behind this project. Those who've followed from the beginning remember that I did in fact finish the T-51b helmet once already, and then it got ruined during the failed mold making attempt. Keep in mind that I've now nearly done that helmet all over again. If I were to sell prints or files for the helmet, it would surly make a conflict of interest against myself for when I begin selling casted kits. With all I've been through in this project, and for all the time I've spent working and re-working things, I certainly don't wish to make things harder on myself when I finally start selling them.

Look, I know that a lot of folks have lost faith in this project. In many ways, I can't blame them. After all, it's been years. I myself certainly pictured being much further along by now, maybe working on one of the other helmets I haven't even touched yet. Fact is, at times it's hard to keep believing I can finish out what is indeed a grand set of projects. But it will get done. With the right timing of weather and funding, it will get done. I have not given up, and don't plan to at any point. I'm going to keep working until all the helmets are done, and if they grace us with another Fallout game (that hopefully isn't any worse than Fallout 4 was) I'll do the helmets in that one too.

While others do various props from various games/movies/shows, all I do is Fallout stuff. Nothing but Fallout stuff. So I ain't going anywhere, and if you've followed my work and look forward to getting some awesome helmets, then don't worry. They will happen, and the first couple will be happening very soon. I'm budgeting some money out of my coming tax return for silicone and printing resin, so the wheels are turning, even when I don't have new pictures or updates to show.

All I can say is for those who are waiting, have faith. The time is coming. And even when those first couple helmets are done, there's still more to do from there. It won't be over, and this project ain't going anywhere anytime soon. And one day, those who wish to have the entire collection of PA helmets will get what they're wishing for.

No, I'm afraid not.

One of the biggest reasons, that I don't think many folks think about, is that pretty much all of the helmet models were done by another artist. I commissioned cassius to make all the helmet models (with the exception of the Fallout 4 version T-51), and it was not part of our deal for me to go and resell the models he created. When he was hired to do these models for me, I had not begun the journey of 3d modeling myself. Now that I am 3d modeling, I can relate to why I would not want someone reselling a 3d model I had made for them. Overall, it's just bad form.

Aside from that, I've put a lot of labor behind this project. Those who've followed from the beginning remember that I did in fact finish the T-51b helmet once already, and then it got ruined during the failed mold making attempt. Keep in mind that I've now nearly done that helmet all over again. If I were to sell prints or files for the helmet, it would surly make a conflict of interest against myself for when I begin selling casted kits. With all I've been through in this project, and for all the time I've spent working and re-working things, I certainly don't wish to make things harder on myself when I finally start selling them.

Look, I know that a lot of folks have lost faith in this project. In many ways, I can't blame them. After all, it's been years. I myself certainly pictured being much further along by now, maybe working on one of the other helmets I haven't even touched yet. Fact is, at times it's hard to keep believing I can finish out what is indeed a grand set of projects. But it will get done. With the right timing of weather and funding, it will get done. I have not given up, and don't plan to at any point. I'm going to keep working until all the helmets are done, and if they grace us with another Fallout game (that hopefully isn't any worse than Fallout 4 was) I'll do the helmets in that one too.

While others do various props from various games/movies/shows, all I do is Fallout stuff. Nothing but Fallout stuff. So I ain't going anywhere, and if you've followed my work and look forward to getting some awesome helmets, then don't worry. They will happen, and the first couple will be happening very soon. I'm budgeting some money out of my coming tax return for silicone and printing resin, so the wheels are turning, even when I don't have new pictures or updates to show.

All I can say is for those who are waiting, have faith. The time is coming. And even when those first couple helmets are done, there's still more to do from there. It won't be over, and this project ain't going anywhere anytime soon. And one day, those who wish to have the entire collection of PA helmets will get what they're wishing for.

That's completely understandable, I was just curious about whether or not you were able or will to sell said models. I appreciate your dedication to this project and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Happy Costuming!

No, I'm afraid not.

I want a set one day :p Any update by chance :D?

I want a set one day :p Any update by chance :D?

Yes sir, almost there with the FO4 T-51 helmet. And yeah, the anticipation is killing me.

Right now I'm starting a run for my Lil Devil pistol kits from New Vegas. The potential funds that I earn are specifically for casting and mold making materials for the helmet. I do only have a few small greebs to print for it, and need printing resin for that too. But the main hunks are ready, and as soon as I can get a couple gallons of silicone, I'm gonna start making the mold for the parts that are ready (like the main shell).

I am running behind where I wanted to be with the FO3 version, though. The weather has been wonky from the seasonal change, but I'm looking to get out there and finish up the main shell as soon as I can.

Yes sir, almost there with the FO4 T-51 helmet. And yeah, the anticipation is killing me.

Right now I'm starting a run for my Lil Devil pistol kits from New Vegas. The potential funds that I earn are specifically for casting and mold making materials for the helmet. I do only have a few small greebs to print for it, and need printing resin for that too. But the main hunks are ready, and as soon as I can get a couple gallons of silicone, I'm gonna start making the mold for the parts that are ready (like the main shell).

I am running behind where I wanted to be with the FO3 version, though. The weather has been wonky from the seasonal change, but I'm looking to get out there and finish up the main shell as soon as I can.

I saw that and was figuring it may help fund, and I thought about it but unfortunately I'm just not interested in the pistol :(

Alright everybody, I think we're due for an update here.

I've recently finished up a couple Fallout prop builds, and am now moving on to finally get one of these damn helmets done. So far, the one that I have closest to completion is the FO4 T-51 helmet. A close second to that one is the FO3 version of the T-51b helmet, but it does still have many hours of body work left to complete on the main shell.

The FO4 version, however, is quite close to completion, with most of all the work left being in the greebs. The shell is nearly complete, with just a couple little touch ups needed. It doesn't look much different than the last pics I posted, but just the same I'll have some photos posted soon, after I finish those touch up's. Right now, the main task at hand is to finish printing out the little parts. While I have a couple printed out, the bulk of them still need to be done.

The two parts that are complete and ready for mold making and casting are the main head lamp part, and the mouth grill piece. These were printed on my SLA printer, and look really nice.

T51 THREE.jpg

I also have the front hose (skinny) connectors and the rear hose (fat) tubes printed. They are work in progress, but pretty much done. Still a couple hours between both sets of parts, but they should be ready to go by the weekend. The front hose connectors were SLA printed. The rear tubes, which are the only greebs not being SLA printed, were done on the same Lulzbot that I printed the main shell with.

T51 TWO.jpg

All of this, however, still needs to be printed. This has been the real hold up for this helmet, as printing resin ain't cheap, and I've been far too strapped lately to afford another batch. With wrapping up my other prop projects, I should have some funds from kits that are for sale soon, and will start purchasing the materials I need to get this helmet done. As soon as some printing resin arrives, I'll begin printing the rest of these babies up, so we can get everything finalized and ready for mold making. There are still a few parts that I need to edit or optimize prior to printing, so I'll be looking to get that done in the down time as well.

T51 ONE.jpg

So that's where we are with that. I'm gonna run with this one, and try to finally get one of these babies completed. I'm hoping everything runs fluid, and then I can immediately pick up on the other T-51b helmet, but for now I'll just worry about one at a time.

More soon.

Last edited:

heyho ;p cool update also here to say still interested in your helmet :) in what little they showed the 76 ce looks pretty simple, and ce edition is always low quality garbage :| bring on the t-51b!

Yeah, last night's presentation left me less than thrilled. Not only the details of the game itself, but the contents of the Collector's Edition. How ironic that as I hone in on finishing up this very helmet, do they announce theirs. Guess I shouldn't have taken so long.

That said, yeah, I do expect their version to be cheap. It won't be what one of mine, properly cold casted, would be. It'll be easy enough to make the headlamps functional on mine, and I suppose if you can get a voice changer like theirs, you could install one in my helmet. Really what concerns me here is their take on IP infringement. Generally, Bethesda (more namely, Zenimax) is pretty lax about props and goods from their IP...…….as long as they're not selling said prop themselves. Don't let them catch you selling something with a Nuka Cola logo on it, they'll be on your ass.

Hell, I could probably do any other helmet, and would be fine. But with this one, I'll need to be careful. I too am using their original game model, so mine looks identical. Honestly, to that effect, I'm rather proud of my model. It is dead on perfect. I've examined the second game trailer's renders, as well as the helmet pictured in the pre sale page. Mine is spot on perfect. And that's not hard to imagine, both are clearly made from the game mesh.

Anyhow, it is what it is, and I'm still making mine. However, I did notice something in the second trailer. There is an ear pod on the left side of the helmet. In Fallout 4, there is not an ear pod on the left side. It's funny too, because in the Fallout 4 concept art, the left ear pod is there. On the Three Zero figures, the left ear pod is there. But in the actual game, there is no ear pod on the left side. Naturally, that's how I made my model. So, I suppose if I wanted to make a 'Fallout 76 version', I'd need to add the left ear...…..

Fallout-76-E3-2018-3-970x545.png

Last edited:
Re: Fallout: 3D Printed Power Armor Helmets UPDATED 9/26/17

I almost jumped on-board with the Power Suit edition. Almost out of hype alone...but in the end I settled down and my thoughts on the actual game are in the other threads.
Looking at the images from the collectors edition, while it looks accurate and with a good paint job. You just know they cheapened out on everything else.

I am not the type of person who wants a toy version of a prop. I want something that felt like I took it out of the game.

I almost jumped on-board with the Power Suit edition. Almost out of hype alone...but in the end I settled down and my thoughts on the actual game are in the other threads.
Looking at the images from the collectors edition, while it looks accurate and with a good paint job. You just know they cheapened out on everything else.

I am not the type of person who wants a toy version of a prop. I want something that felt like I took it out of the game.

Oh, I most certainly did order one. I'm particularly interested in what scale they went with. It looks very much like it is scaled like mine, which in reality is not full 1:1 scale. My helmet is scaled to match the 1:1 scale of the Fallout 3/NV helmets. Naturally, with the suits being so much bigger in Fallout 4 (and subsequently Fallout 76), the helmets come out much bigger than they did in FO3. I decided to make them smaller than their true 1:1 scale so that they would match my other pre FO4 helmets, so that they could all be seamlessly displayed together. Also, it's already quite a task printing it at Fallout 3's scale. These cuts take days to print, and a much bigger version would be even more challenging.

This definitely has me mulling printing a full 1:1 version, though. Something that could go with a full scale suit build, like the scale thorssoli did on his T-60 suit.

But one nice thing about my T-51 helmets is I'll be doing paintjobs as well. The standard bare metal look is sweet and totally retro, but I will say I rather liked the olive drab and winterized white paintjobs from FO4. I'd also like to play around with what an Atom Cats version of the T-51 might have looked like.

Anyhow, in other news. It looks like there is indeed a new Power Armor...…...

new armor.jpg

Last edited:

Glad you will continue

You know it. :thumbsup

Ordering Form 2 printing resin tomorrow. I will begin printing the rest of the greebs for the FO4 version first, and print out any last bit of greebs for the FO3 version after that (there's only a couple left for the FO3 version anyway). On the Form 2, these pieces come out super sharp, and take way less time to clean up and finish.

The next big hump after that will be silicone. But let's take one step at a time, right? ;)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back