Possibility to scan face for a mask

NoFizika

We a making a shot movie. We have to make silicon masks for actors. Masks will be modeled on PC and than 3d printed. We found people, who can print the masks with silicone, but we need a 3d scanner to digitize actor's faces. Maybe anybody know were we can rent a 3d scanner in Tallinn, or find a guy with a scanner who will scan actors for us. He will be payed for sure?

Just curious

Is it cheaper to scan/design etc... for a silicone mask than lifecast/sculpting/molding?. I guess faster for sure.
I understand 3D printing will be 100% stuck to the design, but is it worth it?. Without knowing what are you exactly after of course.
And do they print in any shore hardness?, as soft as a silicone mask will need.

These kind of things make me feel happy for technology and progress and sad for the craft itself, after more than 20 years making a living on sculpture etc.. it´s a normal feeling I guess (or I´m gettin´ old).

Using machines to make things we got the pleasure out of just making them!...life is life.

Just curious

Is it cheaper to scan/design etc... for a silicone mask than lifecast/sculpting/molding?. I guess faster for sure.
I understand 3D printing will be 100% stuck to the design, but is it worth it?. Without knowing what are you exactly after of course.
And do they print in any shore hardness?, as soft as a silicone mask will need.

These kind of things make me feel happy for technology and progress and sad for the craft itself, after more than 20 years making a living on sculpture etc.. it´s a normal feeling I guess (or I´m gettin´ old).

Using machines to make things we got the pleasure out of just making them!...life is life.

It's a means to a end when it comes to film making. Not everyone has the skill or talent. But you still need skill in 3D modelling in software I'd imagine but the kind of printers used for fine details are chronic expensive, the kind of printers you see for a few hundred dollars on eBay can't produce the level of detail a good sculptor can. The OP is clearly wanting something specific, like for like rendering of actors faces.

It's a means to a end when it comes to film making. Not everyone has the skill or talent. But you still need skill in 3D modelling in software I'd imagine but the kind of printers used for fine details are chronic expensive, the kind of printers you see for a few hundred dollars on eBay can't produce the level of detail a good sculptor can. The OP is clearly wanting something specific, like for like rendering of actors faces.

Sure, you´re right and I understand. It has to be something very specific. I mentioned the price difference because I was surprised to read about 3D printing in silicone for a mask. The machine that prints silicone must be very expensive too (and the service I assume), plus the scanning work.
Also I am curious about printing low shore silicone. Let´s see what OP says!
The second part of my comment is just a thought about technology in certain "artistic" areas. I´m seeing this taking over some work around here (eps carving for example) and although it´s progress moving ahead it takes me to think about what´s going on. This can be extended to other artistic crafts too (music for example).
But that´ś way off topic.

Very strange way of making masks, but if you sure.. Does this scanner suites you? You can red specifications,use cases etc. If so, I will be in Tallinn about 15-25 February. Could you send me a private message, so I can share you my contact's to talk about price and details?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back