Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
The usual suspects just cannot accept negative reviews :lol
It seems like any time a new Star Wars picture doesn’t live up to the hype, there are a few people here who flip out. :lol

I find that statement amusing when people who didn't like the film are doing this. And nearly 42000 of them at that.

IMG_1949.PNG

Ben

Alec Guinness didn't like ANH and Harrison Ford thought Lucas mishandled Solo.

Should we let actor's opinions of their characters influence the way we think about movies?

Just give up. You lost any credibility in my eyes when you slammed me for using You Tube as a vehicle for finding peoples opinions and THEN used a You Tube video to make a shallow point. You then stated this..."Why wouldn't there be conflict between Rian and Mark if Mark is as unhappy as you insist that he is"? Show me where I have done that if you can.

So I keep hearing that the first order couldn't catch up to the resistance ships because they are smaller and lighters.....but isn't everything in space suppose to be weightless so it shouldn't matter.
I over all enjoyed it enough, but do see a whole ton of ridiculous stuff going on.

You still have mass. Weight is only how we measure mass being pulled by a gravity field, typically Earth's.

The cruiser has more thrust per unit of mass than a Star Destroyer.

Just give up. You lost any credibility in my eyes when you slammed me for using You Tube as a vehicle for finding peoples opinions and THEN used a You Tube video to make a shallow point. You then stated this..."Why wouldn't there be conflict between Rian and Mark if Mark is as unhappy as you insist that he is"? Show me where I have done that if you can.

That's not why I "slammed" you for using YouTube. And the reason I shared the YouTube video in response is because you're the the one who wants to shine a highlight on it. You don't get to cherry pick the reviews that agree with your point of view to make the point about "the internet" not liking the movie.

As far as Hamill/Rian.....honestly not sure what you asking here. What is it that you claim I'm arguing about your position? You're quoting question I asked you of your argument, not a declarative statement.

Ok look, I promise I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, just trying to
understand where you are coming from.

What is it that your ideal new trilogy would explore? The middle aged lives of Luke/Leia/Han? Exploring new characters, but differently than what the current films have done?

Watch the Hitler reviews JLT as posted above and you will understand a little better , maybe .

All I know is Kylo is pulling a Risky Business at Vader's castle right now ....all singing into his saber hilt and skidding around on his socks, only instead of old time rock and roll he's jamming to the dark side from Eddie and the Cruisers !

I have to throw something out there...

What if the problem with all of this..

Is that the "evil" in our Star Wars world....for the first time.. is the weaker....

From the beginning.. the Dark has always beat the Light.. Sidious wiping out the Jedi with a fallen Jedi Anakin...... Windu and Jedi..loosing to Sidious in a one on one fight...Anankin turning into Vadar..,, Vadar and Sidious ruling the galaxy...Vadar killing Obiwan (in a way)... Luke almost joining his father

Sidious (the Emperor) loosing, only because a previous Sith (Vadar) ended it

Maybe some of us wanted..deep down inside..to have "good".. stronger than "evil".. but enjoyed, the heck out of evil being the winner!

And until now.... it has never been shown.. Kilo/Rey..evil is not as powerful as good... Rey is actually stronger than Kilo....unlike Luke and Vadar..and at every turn..evil is getting smashed

Last edited:
I'm pretty curious where Luke learned about "Sidious" being the Emperor. It wouldnt have been in those ancient books, and you would think most people left in the galaxy he would have come across wouldnt know that name unless they had been a Jedi or around a Jedi from the time.

Lor San tekka probably filled him in on all of it

His character is getting interesting, hope they come out with a book

I have to throw something out there...

What if the problem with all of this..

Is that the "evil" in our Star Wars world....for the first time.. is the weaker....

From the beginning.. the Dark has always beat the Light.. Sidious wiping out the Jedi with a fallen Jedi Anakin...... Windu and Jedi..loosing to Sidious in a one on one fight...Anankin turning into Vadar..,, Vadar and Sidious ruling the galaxy...Vadar killing Obiwan (in a way)... Luke almost joining his father

Sidious (the Emperor) loosing, only because a previous Sith (Vadar) ended it

Maybe some of us wanted..deep down inside..to have "good".. stronger than "evil".. but enjoyed, the heck out of evil being the winner!

And until now.... it has never been shown.. Kilo/Rey..evil is not as powerful as good... Rey is actually stronger than Kilo....unlike Luke and Vadar..and at every turn..evil is getting smashed

WUT....?

Watch the Hitler reviews JLT as posted above and you will understand a little better , maybe .

All I know is Kylo is pulling a Risky Business at Vader's castle right now ....all singing into his saber hilt and skidding around on his socks, only instead of old time rock and roll he's jamming to the dark side from Eddie and the Cruisers !

No, I understand why people are frustrated/disappointed/angry/upset/let down by the film.

I'm wanting someone who had a strong negative reaction to TLJ to hash out even an inkling of what it means to have a film that handles the lore/characters/backstory in their preferred way. E.G., I hear a lot of how ROTJ is supposedly invalidated. Either because it throws away the idea that the rebels achieved a lasting victory, or because the character of Luke is betrayed by the portrayal of his fleeting moment of wanting to kill Ben.

I mean, first of all, to quote Adam Savage from the Still Untitled spoilercast "they feel conflict about the central conflict of the film? Achievement unlocked."

What's Luke's role supposed to be instead? Do folks really want to see an older Luke Skywalker dueling with the new bad guy? If Luke would never raise his saber to Ben in the first place, what does he do?

One of the reasons TLJ resonated with me is the way they handled the 'legend' of Skywalker. It reminded me a lot of a John Wayne/Jimmy Stewart movie called The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Long story short, Stewart's character gets credit for shooting a notorious outlaw, and then becomes a politician turned senator. Except it was Wayne's character that actually made the shot, so Stewart's character held a deep conflict about it. He tells the story to the town reporter, who tears up his notes. "This is the West, sir. When legend becomes fact, print the legend."

And that's what Luke realizes. The legend of Luke Skywalker can still save the Resistance. It was such a poetic act of self sacrifice.

So I keep hearing that the first order couldn't catch up to the resistance ships because they are smaller and lighters.....but isn't everything in space suppose to be weightless so it shouldn't matter.
I over all enjoyed it enough, but do see a whole ton of ridiculous stuff going on.

Well, almost nothing about space as depicted in Star Wars is scientifically correct but the bigger ships would have a greater mass (mass is a constant property) even in the weightlessness of space. That larger mass would require greater force to accelerate it, so while the terminology is incorrect the intent is basically correct.

Ok look, I promise I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, just trying to understand where you are coming from.

What is it that your ideal new trilogy would explore? The middle aged lives of Luke/Leia/Han? Exploring new characters, but differently than what the current films have done?
I for one really enjoyed TFA. I liked that it introduced us to new, likable characters, and I was excited to explore those characters while still giving me characters that I know and love from the OT. It was a good transition from the old stuff to the new because it mixed both characters from both triliogies. I know that the original cast cant live forever, and I see this new trilogy(7-9) as a stepping off point to following the new characters. But when the old stuff is treated with such lack of respect, and even the new characters get hosed, it bothers me. I want new plots and storylines, but also familiar so it doesnt feel TOO different. Thats why I was so excited about this new trilogy because it had elements of MY star wars(OT), but now Rian **** all over it, not even giving anything a proper send off. Now I dont give a **** about seeing 9. I have no desire to be excited for 2019 when JJ has to deal with the **** this Rian clown did. Im baffled at how someone at disney thought this was acceptable. Kevin Feige just needs to run Disney. I bet he had a good idea for Star Wars. Hell, JJ did, but Rian was too ******* lazy to add to the elements he added.

:lol When it comes to Alec you better believe it! :lol

ANH was a cute movie but it aint no Citizen Kane or Lawrence Of Arabia

Alec Guinness didn't like ANH and Harrison Ford thought Lucas mishandled Solo.

Should we let actor's opinions of their characters influence the way we think about movies?

OK...

The fan bashing of this film is really reaching ridiculous levels of histrionics now...

Here's an example...

This guy wishes cancer upon the makers of the film due to the "pain and angst they put [him] through..." in watching the film:

https://youtu.be/r9C7Grxk4bU

This IS just a movie, right? People really aren't losing their grip on reality in viewing this film, are they?

No, I understand why people are
frustrated/disappointed/angry/upset/let down by the film.

I'm wanting someone who had a strong negative reaction to TLJ to hash out even an inkling of what it means to have a film that handles the lore/characters/backstory in their preferred way. E.G., I hear a lot of how ROTJ is supposedly invalidated. Either because it throws away the idea that the rebels achieved a lasting victory, or because the character of Luke is betrayed by the portrayal of his fleeting moment of wanting to kill Ben.

I mean, first of all, to quote Adam Savage from the Still Untitled spoilercast "they feel conflict about the central conflict of the film? Achievement unlocked."

What's Luke's role supposed to be instead? Do folks really want to see an older Luke Skywalker dueling with the new bad guy? If Luke would never raise his saber to Ben in the first place, what does he do?

One of the reasons TLJ resonated with me is the way they handled the 'legend' of Skywalker. It reminded me a lot of a John Wayne/Jimmy Stewart movie called The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Long story short, Stewart's character gets credit for shooting a notorious outlaw, and then becomes a politician turned senator. Except it was Wayne's character that actually made the shot, so Stewart's character held a deep conflict about it. He tells the story to the town reporter, who tears up his notes. "This is the West, sir. When legend becomes fact, print the legend."

And that's what Luke realizes. The legend of Luke Skywalker can still save the Resistance. It was such a poetic act of self sacrifice.

Yeah all of that is the great part of the film ! Luke's sacrifice.

the part people can't get around is the wacking Ben in his sleep part .
To me Luke was always was a" Jedi like his father before him" . so it doesn't really bother me I see it as back peddling and rehashing the same old struggle of do I kill my relative ? Seems a problem among the bloodline .
They could have gone a different way and made a lot of people happy but that's why were here I guess .
Again I was disappointed for different reasons the ignored and unanswered questions that no longer seem to matter .

I mean, I assume the Knights of Ren are the few other Jedi trainees Kylo took with him as they are with Ren at the destruction of the school , and we now know that came about unplanned in the middle of the night so that is some kind of answer.
I guess .

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back