Blade Runner Apartment tile 3D scan

ChickenHaunt

Sr Member
Meeting a Movie Star in Los Angeles

Maybe I don't go out enough, but since living in Los Angeles, I've encountered very few celebrities. One time I walked past Seth Green near the Ikea in Burbank. But this past weekend I made it a point to seek out a star I've long admired. She's been in a couple of my favorite films-- The House on Haunted Hill (dir. William Castle, starring Vincent Price, 1959), and Blade Runner (dir. Ridley Scott, starring Harrison Ford, 1982). And she's actually a house.

Deckard-apartment-1_zpswarsbjce.jpg

The Ennis House, built by Frank Lloyd Wright. Perhaps the most curious geometric construction I've ever seen. Those tiles you see behind Harrison Ford (though that's actually a recreation of the house for the interiors in the movie) are a unique design to this home that repeats all over the inside and outside.

I really wanted to see the house in person, and I found out that it's actually just below Griffith Park, and makes a rather nice stop on a walk through the area. Bam. There it is.

IMG_1516_zps2d3rncxb.jpg

There are a lot of unique houses in the neighborhood, but the Ennis House certainly stands out.

And while I did come to admire the place, I also had a plan. A plan that involved photos. A lot of photos.

There are actually a lot of the signature Ennis House tile along the street, acting as a fence around the house. I was surprised by how big they actually are.

IMG_1622_zpscmdqiy9n.jpg

Many are severely worn and crumbling, but some are in better shape. A few are pristine replacements from the ongoing restoration of the house. I picked out the cleanest of the original tiles and took about 90 different photos of it. I then continued to the Griffith Observatory, looped back to the car, and returned home.

Autodesk has a remarkable piece of software called Memento that can stitch together a 3D model of just about anything if you provide it enough pictures that it can see all angles. I imported all 90 images of the tile, and waited a couple hours for the software to work its magic.

IMG_1638_zpsff2mwihz.jpg

You can't tell me that isn't cool.

Now, my real purpose for this is another project, but when I printed out a small sample version, I happened o notice it was the same size as a drink coaster. Hmm... That actually ties in very nicely with Ford's character in Blade Runner.

IMG_1641_zpsdfvmlcw6.jpg

So I checked to see if a glass would sit level on it. It did. Then I did what anyone else would do in the same situation. I cleaned up the print to hide the layers (or "grow lines"), molded it in fashionably pink silicone, and cast up four copies in tinted ultracal stone with cork backings.

IMG_1643_zpstmyaqzmj.jpg

IMG_1648_zps7pm5u2we.jpg

And the result... very satisfying.

20160519-IMG_0183-3_zpsj2qz9msk.jpg

Man, that looks like a really high resolution solution from those pics. I've seen others try similar things with different software, with pics of Boba Fett's Slave I (and the like), and this seems to be much finer. Perhaps due to your unimpeded access and clear lighting. And better software?

Anyway: Awesome! Kudos to you :) ... And three cheers for AutoDesk.

What's next?

-MJ

Hmm interesting. Your parts came out really good.

I am already doing a 400mm x 400mm ALIEN themed wall tile (I will making many to act as sound diffusion for my home cinema) , so maybe a Blade Runner tile could be a future project as well. Can't see why the master can't be laid up MDF or even plastic.

Thanks guys.

I'm honestly not sure how precise the software was on this. I ended up reducing the polys to 25% because it was such a detailed model, but it's unclear to me just how much of that detail is accurate, and how much is the computer making guesses. I'd have to see the original tile in solid color to really tell. I do imagine that it was able to do a pretty good job because I gave it a lot of material to work with, and because the surface of the real tile has so many visual markers (specks).
cavx, that's how I originally planned on making one, but then I realized I could save myself a lot of time and guesswork this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for resurrecting an old-ish thread, but is there anybody out there selling these at the moment.

I'm in the process of making a 240mm square tile out of old materials I found lying around the house, attic floor boards andthe like, for wall mounting my Tomenosuke BR pistol.

If anyone has links to a seller or advice on a build it's appreciated.

Cheers.

Apologies for resurrecting an old-ish thread, but is there anybody out there selling these at the moment.

I'm in the process of making a 240mm square tile out of old materials I found lying around the house, attic floor boards andthe like, for wall mounting my Tomenosuke BR pistol.

If anyone has links to a seller or advice on a build it's appreciated.

Cheers.

Funny thing is... I'm in the middle of making one that's about 245mm for another project. PM me ;)

IMG_2650.JPG

I'll PM when I get to a computer. My phone won't let me whatever reason.

I move house in a couple of weeks so things are a bit hectic. I'll return to my project once we're all unpacked but would be interested and have a few questions. Materials, cost, etc.

Cheers.

The original are 16 inches and fun to do...by hand (not) your idea is great for coaster for sure! Here's mine btw025.JPG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back