Fallout Nuka Cola Bottle Caps

I just tried extracting the textures using B.A.E. (I never got any to work in Nifskcope)
It is so odd that they didn't put proper images on the tops of the caps, looking at the textures they did have space and were not saving any memory.
The Quantum bottl texture even has the same "D32" metal image placed on it twice! I may have to make my first Mod to publish on the Nexus.

I also don't see the edges as "White" see them as raw metal. The edge on the extracted texture is the same as the backside of the cap.
I am using the nVidia Windows Texture Viewer to read the files.

View attachment 587123

Awesome! Thank you for the info on the viewer, will make good use of that. :thumbsup

Now that the images are clear, it's pretty easy to see you're right about the silver edges. I'm very glad to see we've got some definitive images, shouldn't be much room for argument here.

I just wrapped up my caps stashes. Here are a couple WIP pictures, and then the final product:

Speedball makes these quick-carving blocks for simple woodblock or linoleum-style printmaking. I sketched out an approximation of the pattern on the caps stash and got to work cutting it out.

image.jpeg

I used Goof-Off cleaner to remove the protective coating from the surface of the tins. I then used my new stamp and an indelible ink pad to mark my tins. I had to clean up the stamps with a Sharpie, but all the heavy lifting was already done.

image.jpeg

Using the instructions I found online for etching tin, I set to work. Etching tin is really, really neat.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I 5-minute epoxied the CAPS sandpaper to the lids. I applied the masking tape, accordingly, and then reinforced it with superglue. Using 0000 steel wool, I knocked the sheen off any exposed tin (mainly the bottoms), and finally hit everything with matte clear coat.

image.jpeg

I just wrapped up my caps stashes. Here are a couple WIP pictures, and then the final product:

Speedball makes these quick-carving blocks for simple woodblock or linoleum-style printmaking. I sketched out an approximation of the pattern on the caps stash and got to work cutting it out.

View attachment 587961

I used Goof-Off cleaner to remove the protective coating from the surface of the tins. I then used my new stamp and an indelible ink pad to mark my tins. I had to clean up the stamps with a Sharpie, but all the heavy lifting was already done.

View attachment 587966

Using the instructions I found online for etching tin, I set to work. Etching tin is really, really neat.

View attachment 587968View attachment 587967

I 5-minute epoxied the CAPS sandpaper to the lids. I applied the masking tape, accordingly, and then reinforced it with superglue. Using 0000 steel wool, I knocked the sheen off any exposed tin (mainly the bottoms), and finally hit everything with matte clear coat.

View attachment 587969

Your stash looks good man! Very nice. :thumbsup

Got my capper today, started capping away. Have not started weathering yet, still got a couple hundred caps left to crimp. That capper really is nice, rather easy to use.

The caps stash looks great. My niece wanted some caps shipped to here but I was waiting on making the stash. It looks almost a simple as making the caps.

I made my cap stash today while I was also cleaning up the garage.
I started with an old Altoids tin. Apparently the new tins are all embossed? At least two others I had in the house were anyways.

--------------------------

First I removed all the paint using sand paper and a dremel.

-------------------------

I drew all the leaves by hand using a sharpy. B Wo's method probably is more duplicatable and clean, but by hand I was able to wrap them around the edges.
As with all weathered stuff, a bit of mess never hurt.

To etch the tin I used something a bit stronger than water and electricity. I had PCB etchant solution which I used for home made PCBs. This stuff once turned a set of brand new drill bits into rusty looking nails, after I had accidently left an open container nearby.

Use gloves when handling this.

I put the tin into the etchant solution and sloshed the solution around for about five minutes.

The etchant took all the shine away from the metal, leaving a dull grey matte finish. It also dulled the inside of the case which helps with the weathered effect.

The mask was cleaned off with denatured alcohol. The masked areas create a two-tone effect of shiny and dull.

This is why I said the "Caps" label looked like sand paper. 60 grit sandpaper is perfect for the caps label.

Add some masking tape, and the caps stash look is complete. I did have to slit the masking tape down to about 2/3rds of its normal width to make it look proportionally correct. Also, writing on sand paper is surprisingly difficult.

Inside I stored 8 caps, 6 weathered ones, and 2 clean ones. I used some tape to hold the paper against the lid so when opened the caps are revealed immediately.

Nice bottles. The quantum could be made a bit more cloudy. I am not sure what could be added to create that effect however. I know you can use club soda to make it glow under UV light.

Speaking of Vault-Tec terminals: I sometimes pruse through old Popular Science magazines. You can read from April of 1925 to March 2009 on Google Books. It is amazing to pruse through and see that most "New" things are re-hashed very old things.

In either case, I was reading the issue for the month I was born (Nov 1980), and came across a familiar sight on page 106.

zapwizard Your stash turned out great! I wish I'd have known ferric chloride worked on tin; it would have saved me some elbow grease, and achieved a more uniform finish from top to bottom. The brown paper inside was a nice touch.
Videogames I like how your terminal is shaping up!

I handed my caps stashes off this morning. They were a big hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put in an order for some of these myself. Looking forward to getting them.

Made my own art for a few Vim! flavors, and some other franchises.

-MJ

Ok, first off, thanks GhostMinion for showing us this great website to get bottlecaps done! I've been looking for ideas for Nuka Cola stuff. Also, second, thanks zapwizard for showing such detailed pics of your aging process!! I was originally thinking of painting some caps red and cutting the logo in vinyl and attaching, but it's just not the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to extract the textures for the caps stash box from the Fallout 4 game files. Here is a jpg of the textures used on all sides of the box.

BottleCapTin_d.jpg

Here are the extracted textures for the Nuka caps. If anyone needs any other textures from Fallout let me know and point me to the appropriate thread where they need posted and I will post them.

BottleCap_New.jpgBottleCap_Old.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everybody! So, BottleMark finally has silver caps for printing! You can now get accurate FO4 caps like the ones shown ^ right above this post!!! ^

Here's some from the batch I just received.

Fallout%204%20caps%20accurate_zps67jffgky.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey everybody! So, BottleMark finally has silver caps for printing! You can now get accurate FO4 caps like the ones shown ^ right above this post!!! ^

Here's some from the batch I just received.

URL]

I was wondering if the bottle of Mark still have that grainy texture? You caps look really smooth!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back