Bioshock pipe wrench foam prop

NickyD

Hi folks. Just wanted to share one of my recent prop builds. I’ve done a few EVA foam builds, but had not done a weapon of any sort. I decided to put together something I don’t see too often: the pipe wrench from Bioshock.

bioshock-pipe-wrench-foam-prop-painted.jpg

I used 2mm, 3mm, and 6mm craft foam, built up in a few layers, with a brass rod embedded in the middle to keep it from being too floppy. The paint is a mix of Angelus leather paints and P3 from Privateer Press, all acrylic. As a base coat under the acrylic I used Rust-Oleum textured spray paint to give it the gritty texture of an old, worn-out hand tool, just like grandpa used to have hanging in his shop.

Here's a progress shot showing some of the foam layering:

bioshock-pipe-wrench-foam-prop-edge-wrap.jpg

For those interested, I have more photos and a project writeup on my website: http://www.modulusprops.com/blog/project-writeup-bioshock-pipe-wrench-foam-prop

@UridiumThank you! This was a fun piece to paint. I used a sponge to paint most of the red handle, and I'm really happy with the effect. Years and years of embedded grime.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have trouble believing that was made of foam if you hadn't posted the raw pic right below it. Insane work! :thumbsup

Now go whack somebody with it. :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back