Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

The piece looks insanely beautiful. Love the WIP pics. Looking forward to seeing the piece finished.

Sal

Thank you :)

A W E S O M E

in cyberspace everyone can see you build a Bob replica head

:cool

:lol Love it, Cheers Fred :)

Well, I had a little something turn up in the post this morning, The pipe for his throat.

I'm real happy with how the texturing is comming out now, so now I know where I'm going with that I had a go at his throat area:
274.jpg

276.jpg

277.jpg

Its superglued in place for now. The corrugations are a bit deep so I'll fill them up a bit with some caulking & then it should look about right.

:)

Last edited:
Unfreakingbelievable! What was it you said you do for a living? If it isn't this kind of work it should be. I just recently joined the forum and just ran across this thread today. All I can say is amazing. I could care less how screen accurate or inaccurate it is. I looks simply fantastic. I would be proud to have a cast of this wonderful piece of art in my home. Keep up the good work and in case you couldn't already tell, you have a new fan.

Cheers.

Stippling the skin is a great plan, and perfectly executed :cool

You might not notice it from a slight distance (were you to see Bob out and about), but the skin detailing is one of those things that can make our subcontious do a double take and scares us s***less cos our brain got fooled. It's a great touch, and gives it "realness" (if there is such a word). Keep up the fantastic work :thumbsup

Edit: this is for you

505c36f1.jpg

And a rep point for such an inspiring and informative thread :thumbsup

Last edited:
Love the neck. And to built it up with aluminum wire is just genius.

Great, great process. Me so hooked to that project ;)

looks like some cut down extraction hosing to me, either way it looks awesome.
ive been lurking here for months and this is one of the first threads i read start to finish. inspirational

Unfreakingbelievable! What was it you said you do for a living?

I'm an unemployed pannel beater/sprayer. Many thanks :)

Your texture idea is looking great! Add paint and it's gonna look fantastic!

Thats what I'm hoping :) thanks :)

Stippling the skin is a great plan, and perfectly executed :cool

You might not notice it from a slight distance (were you to see Bob out and about), but the skin detailing is one of those things that can make our subcontious do a double take and scares us s***less cos our brain got fooled. It's a great touch, and gives it "realness" (if there is such a word). Keep up the fantastic work :thumbsup & a rep point for such an inspiring and informative thread :thumbsup

Many thanks :) the texture isn't really noticable from about 3 foot away.

looks like some cut down extraction hosing to me, either way it looks awesome.
ive been lurking here for months and this is one of the first threads i read start to finish. inspirational

Thank you both :) spot on Nero, it is 4" dust extractor hose bought from ebay for about £10 a meter:
278.jpg

The wire in it is steel, cutting it down its length causes it to open up as if it were 6" dia, So theres a fair bit of shaping involved in getting it to fit & look right. The pic shows the off cut & I bought 1 meter so it doesn't need alot.

After glueing it in place I used the caulking to fill the corrugations. I've been refering to it as caulking as in 'builders caulking' but its actually 'Evo-stik decorators flexable filler'. Its water based, so after working it into the gaps etc I sponge off the excess & then run the item under the tap to smooth it all off. The down side to it is the drying time if its thick. It forms a skin fairly quickly though.
279.jpg

And again many thanks :) all these lovely comments keep things moving forward (y)thumbsup:thumbsup :)

Last edited:
What a great job, love your attention to detail. Panel beating skills are a tremendous help on these kinda things, always helped me. Can't wait to see this finished.

Just crazy wow. The neck is killer. I'd be interested in a casting of the neck/base for my skull casting.

What a great job, love your attention to detail. Panel beating skills are a tremendous help on these kinda things, always helped me. Can't wait to see this finished.

Thanks :) Its strange isnt it, how pannel beating skill's would help? I guess it could be due to a familiarity with shape & materials :confused

Just crazy wow. The neck is killer. I'd be interested in a casting of the neck/base for my skull casting.

Thanks Clutch :) I dont know if it will fit yours :confused maybe we could exchange a few measurements via PM :confused

I've started puting the other pipes on the neck.
I didn't intend to get too much done on the neck untill the head was finished but I needed to get the interface between the two to work before the head is ready to mould.
Heres another pic:
280.jpg

Last edited:
More work done on the neck. Just got some gap filling to do around the front in the jaw area & then the neck will be ready for some clay.
I'm only going as far down as the base of the neck for the moment untill the heads finished :)
281.jpg

282.jpg

283.jpg

Last edited:
That thing looks amazing, just read the full thread and it's got to be one of the best builds I have seen. Gigers Alien is one of the best movie bad guys ever and yours is looking every bit as good...well done mate.

This is such an enjoyable thread to follow....loving the progress pics, and really admire how often progress is happening here.
Well done bud.:thumbsup

David

Thank you :)

Time for a little update...
I've started putting the clay on the neck, its just roughed out at the moment though:
288.jpg

289.jpg

290.jpg

I've still got the other side to do & I need to think up a good connection between the throat on the neck & the throat under the jaw.
The body needs to be thicker, I'll need to raise the back up. The problem with that is I can see me having trouble with the fin hitting under the back of the head :confused
I'm also thinking about possibly doing away with the shoulders :confused
So I've got some thinking to do but I'm happy with the way he's looking :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back