Star TREK Plaque (Project)

JoeRalat

I just wanted to post a little research and work that I have done to show the difference between the plaques and a screen used plaque. All the plaques are made by me and I own two screen used plaques.

PlaqueCorrect.jpg

Been working on a replica for a voyager plaque for a client, just wanted to show it off. It still needs to be painted.
Plaque1.jpg

Plaque2.jpg

Plaque3.jpg

Always admired your work on plaques! (used to post on your forum way back)
Right now I've got the bug again and have been correlating all the info I can on different plaques (text, size, layout, screen-caps) so I can improve my (digitally drawn, vector) images. I'd love to know how you make these so perfect.

Thank You Snow Builder and thanks Angelus Lupus. I thank you for the post.
All I can say is, I spent hours on font sites trying to match them. I own a few screen used plaques, so that was a big help to get everything right.
If you are looking to do vector artwork only, I would not drive myself too crazy. Just make sure everything is in the center, then play with drop shadows so
you can get a 3d effect.

While I enjoy matching my work to screencaps and other references, (and I felt a sense of satisfaction when I extrapolated from the larger size of the TNG season 1 combadge to get the size of the first Ent-D plaque at the 14"x10" someone here remembered Mike Okuda saying) I may well want to make one I can hold in my hands, so it'd be cool to know how (anytime I google for a how to, all I find is digital)
In the meantime I'll keep making my database of the text, layouts, variation in badge and font, etc. Which reminds me, anyone here have any image references for the second Enterprise D plaque? I can only find screencaps of the first one. I'd like to know where Franklin Mint (and now Eaglemoss) got the reference for star-shapes in the corners.

Im 90% sure that the second Enterprise D plaque was a Franklin Mint version of the plaque. Not sure if a deal was done to include it on the show.

FranklinMintPlaque1.png
Franklin Mint Version
FranklinMintPlaque2.jpg
Version in the movie (Generations)
FranklinMintPlaque3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, it's the first time I've heard the Franklin Mint plaque was used on screen, I guess that makes the weird font screen-accurate, even if it is a strange choice. And the wooden frame, too.

I would not say that the Franklin Mint was screen used, not sure if the production ask them to make one, or it was a joint effort. If you want to get a plaque that matches the second version of the Enterprise-D Plaque, the Franklin Mint version would be the one I get.

It was discussed recently on Facebook by a member of the original production team (I don't recall who, maybe Okuda or Drexler) that the Fanklin Mint plaque was indeed used on the show. I think the general consensus on the 1st season plaque is that it walked away with someone. To the best of my knowledge it has never popped up on the secondary market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im 90% sure that the second Enterprise D plaque was a Franklin Mint version of the plaque. Not sure if a deal was done to include it on the show.

View attachment 624928
Franklin Mint Version
View attachment 624930
Version in the movie (Generations)
View attachment 624929

Ive actually owned two franklin mint versions of the enterprise d plaque. Based on those I would say that the paint finish varied a good bit from piece to piece. One of them had the dark wash more prevalent like the generations version you posted and the other was more like the top photo. Probably just a variety of looks since hey we're hand painted.

Am I the first one that saw the list of names and instantly heard "I'm Rick James!" pop into their head at the first name that catches the eye?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back