Doctor Who opinions

Talking about a program with other people in a thread about that program would not be a problem if people who have watched it would use spoiler tags.

If I went on vacation this week - and i wasn't watching Who til next weekend, should everyone have to use spoiler tags for a week because of it? No.

it's probably most of an issue with DW because it's on an 8 hour time delay for the US (give or take a timezone or two). And, frankly, it's a tiny window. Don't jump in the thread from 1 Eastern until airing and you're good. I've blown it a time or two and as I said - i blame me when it happens, not those in the UK.

At some point, common sense has to come in to play. Spoiler tags were added for movies frankly. Not everyone has the money to go to the movies and not everyone goes day one. hence spoiler tags and the pre- and post release threads. The Star Wars threads USED to have a spoiler thread, but no one created one this time and Bryancd at least put's all his in quotes now that you have to go off site to read, or people stick those in spoiler tags. But that's still 6 months off. So it makes more sense. Once a show has aired, it's aired.

Odds are, if you have time to read the thread, you had a chance to watch the show. In the case of Who, simply pay attention and stay from 1 eastern until show time. I just skip it saturday's altogether for that reason alone.

Flipping it around, i don't wanna talk AoS or anything else with spoiler tags for 3 weeks until it airs in the UK and wouldn't want to ask them to do the same thing. And if you've watched DW since it returned it used to be a @#$%^load worse. S1 was off like 5 months. S2-4 were off 1-3 weeks. By the time they aired here, no one wanted to talk about that episode any longer because the current thread was 2-3 episodes ahead. Someone tried a US thread and the mods merged it ruining the whole point. I think the Tennant 'movie season' was when the first went to same day.

At some point, common sense has to come in to play. Spoiler tags were added for movies frankly. Not everyone has the money to go to the movies and not everyone goes day one. hence spoiler tags and the pre- and post release threads. The Star Wars threads USED to have a spoiler thread, but no one created one this time and Bryancd at least put's all his in quotes now that you have to go off site to read, or people stick those in spoiler tags. But that's still 6 months off. So it makes more sense. Once a show has aired, it's aired.
I don't really want to carry this debate on - but, the idea that "Spoiler tags were added for movies frankly" seems silly. Unless I'm mistaken, spoiler tags are meant for spoilers and I've seen no evidence to suggest that they can't and shouldn't be applied to television, books or other media.

Common sense and civility should be simple - if it's recent and huge exposition, spoiler tags should be used (or a proper spoiler thread). Spoiler tags are used frequently in this forum - threads are often labeled such (or there is a thread for "post" discussions). One shouldn't have to be looking up what time it is in a different country to avoid blatant, huge spoilers in a thread for discussion. This isn't an issue about something that came out months or even weeks ago - this is a matter of hours (possibly even less).

Looking at other sites and forum - there is a clear forum policy. With the Gallifrey subreddit offering a clear, concise bit that seems more than fair:
Spoilers are: Any information (except titles & crew), regardless of source, about an episode that has NOT finished airing more than 48 hours ago.
Any information that reveals plot details of future episodes regardless of its source (i.e. BBC) are considered spoilers until 48 hours after that episode has aired.

Any post with the "SPOILERS" flair contains spoilers for upcoming episodes, or episodes that have aired in the last 48 hours. Post flair can only be set by the Gallifrey moderators and approved submitters.

Do not put spoilers in the title of posts. Be general and add
to your title. Episode titles are allowed.

Don't put non-specific spoiler warnings for threads that do not align with the subreddit definition.
I don't think it's unfair to expect the same type of respectful posting here in the RPF. Unfortunately, the RPF doesn't appear to have a clearly defined spoiler policy - but, it appears there are clear intentions based on including spoiler tags for us to use (as well as splitting other threads into spoiler/non-spoiler and including pre/post release threads).

What do you want people to talk about after the episode airs? You'll just see 15-20 posts of spoiler buttons.
....and we click those spoiler buttons until adequate time passes. Whether it's 48 hours, or when could figure out a majority of the audience had a time to watch. The 48 hours that works for Reddit - which I'd argue has more users than this forum, but is a different format - might not work here; but thinking to wait to post until after a majority of Doctor Who viewers would have a chance to watch it after its aired in two of its biggest markets(?) isn't unreasonable.

In reality, this discussion wouldn't even be happening had the post that spurred this discussion waited a few hours to post. They didn't wait until the episode aired in hthe big areas.* Had this post been after 10:00 ET, I wouldn't have even opened it (I wasn't able to watch at work last night).

Regardless, I've always been an advocate of posting sensibly when it comes to spoilers - post sensibly, be considerate... had there been some simple regard that a large portion of the audience hadn't had a chance to watch it, this conversation would not be happening. Even Rogue has the simple courtesy to use a spoiler tag just yesterday, too. I have the same regard when using social media - be mindful of those that might not be watching at the same time as you.

*he can argue that Doctor Who is a UK property and that somehow makes it immune to spoilers; however, one could also argue that this forum is owned by someone from the US, moderated by someone from India and includes people from just about everywhere - this isn't a UK forum.

So do you actually want to talk about doctor who, or just stop other people from doing that?

Because this is a discussion thread and you arent discussing it.

So do you actually want to talk about doctor who, or just stop other people from doing that?

Because this is a discussion thread and you arent discussing it.
Your post certainly adds to the on topic discussion, doesn't it? I'm responding to and discussing comments posted here.

I'm going to rewatch last night's episode again and was going to make a post.

I thought it was a fun episode. It reminded me of "The Girl Who Waited" in certain ways. But I called it all right away, so I was not surprised by the ending. That didn't take away from my enjoyment at all.

Re the disguise?

In a time when the world could build a 400 mile long ship that can have engines strong enough to back away from a black hole, would anyone actually remember a prime minister from thousands of years ago?

Congratulations on using the spoiler tag when it was unnecessary.

BTW, when you posted in this thread about Capaldi leaving, wasn't that a spoiler?

Shame you didn't spoiler tag that one.
Nope. That was a news item - public knowledge.

Shame you can't tell the difference.

Were the mondasian cybermen time travelling in '66? It's been a long while - so i don't recall. I don't think they were at that point. Moreso, begs the question of what Simm's master was doing there in the first place. he'd apparently been there a while if the original crew of 50 spawned everyone on the monitor.

Could Missy not be the latest incarnation? The master was already awarded extra regens wasn't he? we've seen 4 incarnations not including the skeletal version of delgado (i think that's who he was supposed to be).

I thought it was a fun episode. It reminded me of "The Girl Who Waited" in certain ways. But I called it all right away, so I was not surprised by the ending. That didn't take away from my enjoyment at all.
It's unfortunate that BBC marketing couldn't keep some of the details of this episode under wraps. We knew who was coming - we might not have known exactly how they got there, but we still were able to connect the dots.

Were the mondasian cybermen time travelling in '66? It's been a long while - so i don't recall. I don't think they were at that point. Moreso, begs the question of what Simm's master was doing there in the first place. he'd apparently been there a while if the original crew of 50 spawned everyone on the monitor.

Could Missy not be the latest incarnation? The master was already awarded extra regens wasn't he? we've seen 4 incarnations not including the skeletal version of delgado (i think that's who he was supposed to be).
Here's a wiki recap of the only other appearance of the Mondasian Cyberman.

Re the disguise?

In a time when the world could build a 400 mile long ship that can have engines strong enough to back away from a black hole, would anyone actually remember a prime minister from thousands of years ago?
Firstly we don't know when this occurs as the ship is Mondasian, not from Earth, and it may well be far in the past. Secondly, the disguise is fairly explicitly stated as being so Bill doesn't recognise the former Prime Minister.

Nope. That was a news item - public knowledge.

Shame you can't tell the difference.

But if someone has not seen the news, then the news is still a spoiler whether its public knowledge or not.

Besides, once a program has aired is that not also public knowledge?

- - - Updated - - -

Firstly we don't know when this occurs as the ship is Mondasian, not from Earth, and it may well be far in the past. Secondly, the disguise is fairly explicitly stated as being so Bill doesn't recognise the former Prime Minister.

How would he know Bill was going to be there?

Could be a River Song/Doctor thing.

We assume from our POV that things happen in the same order. Who's to say the Master's first trip to Earth wasn't before the Doctor's? Or that he was in 2014 before the Doctor? He could have run across the Mondasian's before hand or the first gen Cybermen before the doctor and heard the Tale so he went there to hide and wait for him.

The disguise likely wasn't for Bill explicitly, but for the companion. New Series anyhow, all the companions are from Earth. As for the companion knowing the PM, well, that's Moffatt as the companion could easily have been from old Scotland (ala Jamie) or the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc. New series though, they're all post 2005 and the PM was what? 2007? 8? so any new companion would know him in Moffat's head.

I don't think the regeneration is a fake-out. They did a fake out 3 episodes ago. But interestingly, the bit they showed in the next time trailer was different than the cold open... literal cold open. Since we know they haven't announced a new Doctor yet and Capaldi will regenerate in the X-Mas special, I have a theory.

He's going to save the day (obviously) by using his regeneration power to do something it's not meant for-- but it will make him regenerate. In the final moments he saves the day, but then leaves and ends up in the snowy place from the open. Snow = XMas special.

The regeneration is real but we'll have to wait 6 months to see it... also, in the X-Mas special he's going to "hold it in" (like 10 did for his farewell tour) as it were to get his final story, then in the end will finally regenerate.

Perhaps @Vivek can clarify the spoiler policy a little more clearly for us.

Most threads discussing TV Shows, Videos Games and Comics are open to frequent spoiler discussion as most are episodic in nature. Again not vital but members can use spoiler tags in those threads if needed.

Please avoid posting detailed leaked plot lines to TV show episodes prior to their air dates.

The above statement was originally posted in the movie release date thread which was previously a sticky thread in the last few years.

Once a TV episode has officially aired (regardless of the country) its discussion thread is bound to be a minefield of spoilers for anyone why hasn't caught up with it. Most TV show discussion threads are by default filled with spoilers but won't be titled separately with the word spoiler.

If someone is vested in a particular show and would rather remain spoiler-free, it would be better to familiarize themselves with its original airing days/timings so they can avoid the discussion thread altogether during that time, until they're caught up with the episode.

That being said, though we currently don't implement a strict spoiler tag policy, members could err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags especially if those spoiler filled posts are going up within few hours of the episode being aired. Again, this is not a rule but an act of courtesy one could choose to extend to their fellow members.

But if someone still decides not to use the spoiler tags, they can very well do so and it's really up to the individual avoiding spoilers to take the precautionary measures.

If anyone wants to discuss more about spoilers on RPF in general, avoid discussing them further in this thread and create a separate thread.

*he can argue that Doctor Who is a UK property and that somehow makes it immune to spoilers; however, one could also argue that this forum is owned by someone from the US, moderated by someone from India and includes people from just about everywhere - this isn't a UK forum.
I understand the above comment is just to illustrate a point, but I just want to remind everyone that though I am the forum leader for Entertainment and Movie Talk, other RPF staff members also help to moderate this forum like they do with the rest of the other forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the regeneration is a fake-out. They did a fake out 3 episodes ago. But interestingly, the bit they showed in the next time trailer was different than the cold open... literal cold open. Since we know they haven't announced a new Doctor yet and Capaldi will regenerate in the X-Mas special, I have a theory.

He's going to save the day (obviously) by using his regeneration power to do something it's not meant for-- but it will make him regenerate. In the final moments he saves the day, but then leaves and ends up in the snowy place from the open. Snow = XMas special.

The regeneration is real but we'll have to wait 6 months to see it... also, in the X-Mas special he's going to "hold it in" (like 10 did for his farewell tour) as it were to get his final story, then in the end will finally regenerate.

Snowy... like Antarctica? If the rumours of David Bradley on the show are true, it could fill in a spot in the tenth planet, and the mondasian cybermen story could be a trilogy.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back