Another Gary Kurtz lightsaber up for auction

Wow, I had no idea people who collect real props hate our hobby. Did you guys know this? This is coming from that Facebook group I joined, which I'm about to unjoin. It's pretty ridiculous actually.

Wow, I had no idea people who collect real props hate our hobby. Did you guys know this? This is coming from that Facebook group I joined, which I'm about to unjoin. It's pretty ridiculous actually.

I didn't know! Because they find us know-it-all? Which FB group do you mean?

I'm pretty sure I'm also a member of that FB group. I find that opinion is pretty common across the board. I am a member on forums dedicated to collecting vintage Star Wars figures as well as WWII memorabilia and disgust and loathing for replicas is pretty typical in both locations. The main objection, which I can sympathize with, is that reproductions are becoming so good that it damages the historical (and let's be honest the monetary value) of authentic pieces. I agree with this to an extent because the situation makes it easier for people to get ripped off and we want to limit that as much as possible. There is also of course an elitist attitude that goes hand in hand with it that I find distasteful.

Heck, when it comes down to it, there are elitist attitudes on this forum (of which I am undoubtedly guilty), using authentic vintage parts vs replica parts, how accurate is your replica i.e. rivet counting, screen accurate vs prop accurate, things like that.

Last edited:
Heck, when it comes down to it, there are elitist attitudes on this forum (of which I am undoubtedly guilty), using authentic vintage parts vs replica parts, how accurate is your replica i.e. rivet counting, screen accurate vs prop accurate, things like that.

SCREWS dagnabbit!!! Oh wait... maybe rivets? :darnkids

There is a difference between replicas meant to be a reasonably priced product people can buy and replicas meant to fool people into thinking it is a real authentic/rare item.

Some people only want original paintings. Others are fine with prints. There is nothing wrong with either. However there is something wrong with a forgery being passed off as the original.

I don't know enough about the claims of this lightsaber to have a feeling either way.

With props it isn't unusual to have several of the same prop made, so claiming one to be the exact one from a particular scene can be difficult unless there is something unique about one of the props that is noticable. Even then it's possible several were used in a sequence on film.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Different strokes for different folks.
Live and let live, etc.
In the end it's apples and oranges...

Forgeries have been around a long time and should be prosecuted case by case to protect those willing to pay a premium for the real deal. I respect and appreciate that hobby.

However,
If replicas are worthy of disgust and loathing then perhaps the haters should recalibrate their sights on the biggest replicators of all, the companies offering officially licensed replicas- Disney, MR and Anovos come to mind.

This hobby is about the enjoyment of building these treasures, not bilking anybody out of their money.

I am a member on forums dedicated to collecting vintage Star Wars figures as well as WWII memorabilia and disgust and loathing for replicas is pretty typical in both locations. The main objection, which I can sympathize with, is that reproductions are becoming so good that it damages the historical (and let's be honest the monetary value) of authentic pieces. I agree with this to an extent because the situation makes it easier for people to get ripped off and we want to limit that as much as possible.

I can understand the concern with figures or WWII memorabilia as it's easier to make replicas and pass off a replica as an original. There is a relatively greater availability of figures and memorabilia, and replicas may not necessarily have to be take account of as many subtle details like wear and tear that a screen used prop may have in order to get away with fraud.

However in the case of props, I'd argue that it's a somewhat unnecessary concern considering the extremely limited availability of screen used props, which makes it far easier to keep track of the originals and spot a fake if all the minute scratches and history don't match up. There may only be a small handful available of a particular prop (like a stormtrooper helmet) or maybe even just one (like the ANH Vader helmet), which makes it easy to document and keep track of them so it'd be extremely difficult for someone to pass off a replica as an original.

I think the hatred of prop replicas might be coming more from elitism than concern of fraud. When there is only one particular version of a screen used prop in existence, the only option for everyone else is a replica.

You guys make some good points. The fake stuff is a problem, and we're seeing it here now with the Graflex reproductions. But replicas are not forgeries and it's up to the buyer to use some critical thinking and ask the community if something seems off. We're pretty good at picking out the real stuff and weeding out the scumbags when they pop up. I would have thought collecting props and collecting replicas were two sides of the same coin, but I guess not.

And Profiles isn't helping with their shady auctions. But that's on them.

There are three types of props: the screen used props (rare, unique and expensive), the licensed or unlicensed replicas (MR, EFX, etc. and the fan made), and the shady replicas that want to pass as screen used. I only have issues with the latter ones (and with some recasts, but that is another story)

Who wouldn't want an actual screen used prop? I know I would, but financially speaking, it just isn't a possibility right now (if ever). So thank God for the RPF! The part identification, build techniques, & craftsmanship from so many talented members here (many who are IN the movie business) have greatly increased the knowledge about the actual props themselves. & then that knowledge is shared so others, like myself, can learn, start the hunt for parts, & get the confidence to begin builds of our own. Does that mean I'd pass up on a REAL screen used prop? Hell no! BUT, does that mean I'd buy something like the Kurtz GRAFLEX lightsaber & believe it's a genuine screen used piece? Hell no! I might buy it as a nice replica, because now I know better than to think it's an actual screen used piece, just because it comes with a COA.

Word is this sold for $375,000. They also had a mish mash R2 (also not what they said it was) sell for almost $3,000,000. Don Bies said the buyer got ripped off, lol.

Word is this sold for $375,000. They also had a mish mash R2 (also not what they said it was) sell for almost $3,000,000. Don Bies said the buyer got ripped off, lol.

WOW!!! the r2 sold!! the asking price was 1million. the r2 builders thought that was a joke! it did how ever have the "stolen" episode 1 Dome (which was used in ANH)

as for the saber... man.... but to tell ya what. if i hit recently on that last power ball ( 400 something million ) even though the saber was "fake" I would have attempted to buy it... same with the R2.

matty are you in communication with bies? or did he state this publicly? we've been trying to get ahold of him on how he made the grips on that saber.

WOW!!! the r2 sold!! the asking price was 1million. the r2 builders thought that was a joke! it did how ever have the "stolen" episode 1 Dome (which was used in ANH)

as for the saber... man.... but to tell ya what. if i hit recently on that last power ball ( 400 something million ) even though the saber was "fake" I would have attempted to buy it... same with the R2.

matty are you in communication with bies? or did he state this publicly? we've been trying to get ahold of him on how he made the grips on that saber.

Bies is pretty active on Facebook. He was commenting on the R2.

eeerrrrr i hate Facebook..... seems like everything is moving towards that and everyone is leaving forums.... i just can't bring myself to use it

I've never been on Facebook. It was ruff, especially when waiting for my RS Scout helmet. They'd post more updates on Facebook, while sending a rare email with updates.

eeerrrrr i hate Facebook..... seems like everything is moving towards that and everyone is leaving forums.... i just can't bring myself to use it

You're not missing much. You'd probably recognize the same faces there as in most forums. I mostly only use Facebook for my favorite interest groups (Star Wars Blasters Group, Graflex Addicts Group, etc).

Facebook is handy as long as you don't spend too much time on it. I honestly prefer the forums to Facebook because it's so much easier than having to navigate through thousands of posts and comments to find the information you want. On a forum you can just search the threads much, much faster.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back