Alien: Covenant (Post-release)

you're applying the rules of our world to a futuristic spacefaring human race with robots, med pods, holograms and mars colonisation. why?

You're applying a 21st century, cell phone replacement for human brain, walking off a cliff while texting, let me film myself bathing in gasoline while smoking and then post the video of my giggling, self-immolation on youtube for likes level of stupidity on space faring, hologram having explorers. Why?

yeah but remember all those scenes in star wars, star trek etc etc etc where they tediously scan and double check and wear space suits and.......... oh no wait.

Lovelyandy, you can't just bring in other works of science fiction into this discussion. There are specific and unique 'rules' that governs how each franchise tackles technology, environmental conditions. Might as well make the argument about why the Marines in ALIENS simply didn't beam up to the Sulaco when things got dicey, or why Kane didn't bring his Tricorder to scan the eggs. Star Trek and Star Wars' use of technology (and in some cases for Star Wars, fantasy) to tell their stories in a unique way. It's not always realistic or grounded in reality, but it helps each series stand out.

The ALIEN franchise is way more grounded to reality in regards to how it tells it's story. There is no super hyperspace engine that makes traveling in space take only minutes, there is no 'Force' that lets our characters control things in a super natural sense and planets need to be terraformed. No one can hold the ALIEN franchise to the same set of rules and standards of Star Wars or Star Trek.

And for the record, the reason why the Covenant crew not wearing suits when exploring an unknown world is a big deal is because previous movies make a big about wearing space suits in general. In Prometheus, there was at least a 'better safe than sorry' attitude when wore their suits even when that idiot analyzed the air inside the temple as being breathable. With Covenant, there is no 'better safe than sorry' mentality even when they have all the tools to do it with. They have Walter who can explore the immediate surrounding area without needing a suit, they have the electronic rover and they have space suits. Seeing these characters not take any kind of precautions is akin to Star Trek using the transporter to beam through shields. It's a big discrepancy because many episodes of the show established that you cannot beam through the shields.

lovelyandy I dont recall anyone in the Star Wars universe going to an uncharted planet. Did Luke drink the water when he landed in Dagobah? Of course not, cause that would be stupid. Going to an uncharted planet wasnt the main plot of those movies. Also, Star Wars is mostly fantasy anyway so your point is kinda moot. Like I mentioned before, I dont know enough about Star Trek to argue.

Your points regarding AI is the suspension of disbelief man. I hope you understand that. Thats the part thats the fiction. Putting a helmet on to avoid contamination when adventuring onto a new planet is the science aspect. Common sense applies to anyone in any universe. It should anyway. Obviously Ridley didnt get the memo.

- - - Updated - - -

Lovelyandy, you can't just bring in other works of science fiction into this discussion. There are specific and unique 'rules' that governs how each franchise tackles technology, environmental conditions. Might as well make the argument about why the Marines in ALIENS simply didn't beam up to the Sulaco when things got dicey, or why Kane didn't bring his Tricorder to scan the eggs. Star Trek and Star Wars' use of technology (and in some cases for Star Wars, fantasy) to tell their stories in a unique way. It's not always realistic or grounded in reality, but it helps each series stand out.

The ALIEN franchise is way more grounded to reality in regards to how it tells it's story. There is no super hyperspace engine that makes traveling in space take only minutes, there is no 'Force' that lets our characters control things in a super natural sense and planets need to be terraformed. No one can hold the ALIEN franchise to the same set of rules and standards of Star Wars or Star Trek.

And for the record, the reason why the Covenant crew not wearing suits when exploring an unknown world is a big deal is because previous movies make a big about wearing space suits in general. In Prometheus, there was at least a 'better safe than sorry' attitude when wore their suits even when that idiot analyzed the air inside the temple as being breathable. With Covenant, there is no 'better safe than sorry' mentality even when they have all the tools to do it with. They have Walter who can explore the immediate surrounding area without needing a suit, they have the electronic rover and they have space suits. Seeing these characters not take any kind of precautions is akin to Star Trek using the transporter to beam through shields. It's a big discrepancy because many episodes of the show established that you cannot beam through the shields.
Holy **** thank you Jeyl! Well said man! :love

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it again last night and was the only person in the theater. I love this movie but I can see why people are disappointed.
It's a scifi slasher film. Horny kid's spaceship brakes down, they go to creepy planet. Guy sneaks off to smoke and gets whacked. Lonely planet owner is trying to kill everyone. After they escape, he secretly follows them and kills the people screwing in the shower. Then when you think its safe, surprise! It's not.
Simple yet elegant...

Genuis! sheer GENUIS!!

If the Rids says this is what he was going for then he accomplished his mission in spades! :thumbsup

I saw it again last night and was the only person in the theater. I love this movie but I can see why people are disappointed.
It's a scifi slasher film. Horny kid's spaceship brakes down, they go to creepy planet. Guy sneaks off to smoke and gets whacked. Lonely planet owner is trying to kill everyone. After they escape, he secretly follows them and kills the people screwing in the shower. Then when you think its safe, surprise! It's not.
Simple yet elegant...

Simple yet elegant...

Sounds like an episode of Lexx.

lexx-53f8822e9e659.jpg

I loved Alien: Covenant. It actually reminded me of The Lost World: Jurassic Park a few times while I was watching it (particularly the use of those giant, Redwood-like trees), and even my Dad thought the Neomorphs acted like Velociraptors. Alien: Covenant does a lot of call backs to both Prometheus and the original Alien movie. It adds nicely to the mythos, but doesn't bog itself down with a lot of blatant references like I feel it could have. I saw a lot of Spielbergian directorial style in Prometheus, and I see a lot of The Lost World in Alien: Covenant. It's a natural continuation sequel like The Lost World is, not just a sequel to Prometheus, but a sequel to the franchise in general. I think that Covenant, like Prometheus, will find its appreciation in the years to come. It's a thinking movie, like Prometheus was. It leaves you with thoughts to ponder. It definitely terrified me a couple times. And it's good horror, too. It's bloody, like Michael Myers in space, but it doesn't use cheap jump scares. The shower scene in particular came back into my mind when I took a shower tonight before dinner. The movie had the perfect kind of squick that Giger would have LOVED. He always went for that kind of "let's freak out the men in the audience" kind of sexual horror, and I liked the usage of some more of his designs in the Engineer city. Oh, and that they used some of Giger's art as David's drawings. A nice tribute to Giger, I feel.

in what way am I? how is is stupid if they have done the scans etc.

You're applying a 21st century, cell phone replacement for human brain, walking off a cliff while texting, let me film myself bathing in gasoline while smoking and then post the video of my giggling, self-immolation on youtube for likes level of stupidity on space faring, hologram having explorers. Why?

- - - Updated - - -

Why didnt the marines in Aliens wear spacesuits?

Is it because they'd done tests on the atmosphere and it said it was fine?

Im not sure why people have such a hard time accepting that in this movie a computer said everything was fine for people, then things go wrong.

If everyone on star tyrek beamed to a planet the compputer said was fine then got some alien disease then THEY SHOULD HAVE WORN SPACESUITS TO BE SAFE.

But if on star wars they did find a new planet, and then chewie did a scan and it said 'it's fine'. That would be fine right.

They landed in a spaceworms stomach and went out in little breather things and there was a bat thing. If that thing had been a face hugger then I guess they should have worn spacesuits.

So suspension of disbeleif is ok for some advanced technoloy (andriods) but not others (like planet scans).

Imagine Covenant, except they all had full space suits, and the spores got in their suits because it was microscopic (although the motes were i guess slightly visible) and had agency to infect.

what difference would that make to the movie?

My points moot because SW is a fantasy but in a horror movie everyone needs to be super smart all the time.

@lovelyandy I dont recall anyone in the Star Wars universe going to an uncharted planet. Did Luke drink the water when he landed in Dagobah? Of course not, cause that would be stupid. Going to an uncharted planet wasnt the main plot of those movies. Also, Star Wars is mostly fantasy anyway so your point is kinda moot. Like I mentioned before, I dont know enough about Star Trek to argue.

Your points regarding AI is the suspension of disbelief man. I hope you understand that. Thats the part thats the fiction. Putting a helmet on to avoid contamination when adventuring onto a new planet is the science aspect. Common sense applies to anyone in any universe. It should anyway. Obviously Ridley didnt get the memo.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy **** thank you Jeyl! Well said man! :love

- - - Updated - - -

This is the most baffling sentence i will ever read

I loved Alien: Covenant. It actually reminded me of The Lost World: Jurassic Park a few times

haha.

Loved AC and Hated LW.

I loved Alien: Covenant. It actually reminded me of The Lost World: Jurassic Park a few times while I was watching it (particularly the use of those giant, Redwood-like trees), and even my Dad thought the Neomorphs acted like Velociraptors. Alien: Covenant does a lot of call backs to both Prometheus and the original Alien movie. It adds nicely to the mythos, but doesn't bog itself down with a lot of blatant references like I feel it could have. I saw a lot of Spielbergian directorial style in Prometheus, and I see a lot of The Lost World in Alien: Covenant. It's a natural continuation sequel like The Lost World is, not just a sequel to Prometheus, but a sequel to the franchise in general. I think that Covenant, like Prometheus, will find its appreciation in the years to come. It's a thinking movie, like Prometheus was. It leaves you with thoughts to ponder. It definitely terrified me a couple times. And it's good horror, too. It's bloody, like Michael Myers in space, but it doesn't use cheap jump scares. The shower scene in particular came back into my mind when I took a shower tonight before dinner. The movie had the perfect kind of squick that Giger would have LOVED. He always went for that kind of "let's freak out the men in the audience" kind of sexual horror, and I liked the usage of some more of his designs in the Engineer city. Oh, and that they used some of Giger's art as David's drawings. A nice tribute to Giger, I feel.

Additional point.

I really liked / loved the movie.

I'm a 32 year old man and its the first proper Alien movie I've had the pleasure of seeing in the cinema.

It's not Alien or Aliens but it's a good movie.

and i relish the opportunity to talk about it, because like all good movies it makes you think.

Anyone got any other thoughts good or bad other than, they didn't wear spacesuits? lol

Yeah...the movie was OK I guess, but not great. Other than wearing spacesuits?.....

Lemme see: They sent a big group of key personnel to investigate an unknown planet, and they did not check if that was David or Walter.

Sounds like an episode of Lexx.

View attachment 733102

And why am I just now finding out about this show? Entering binge watch mode:)

"Lexx" is the tale of a group of misfits who inadvertently steals the most powerful weapon of destruction in the two universes: the Lexx, an enormous, sentient insect genetically modified for space travel and planet-destroying capabilities. Although they have no real authority, they travel through hostile and chaotic universes, having a variety of adventures.

Lemme see: They sent a big group of key personnel to investigate an unknown planet, and they did not check if that was David or Walter.

On one hand, i think for sake of confusion they should have drawn a big red X on David's face as soon as they got there.

But also, this is the future/alt verse where the David/Walter andriods are probably quite common, so... they'd be used to seeing loads of fassbenders blowing and fingering all over the place.

that and they're so common place they're not really used to them going crazy and trying to kill literally everything. Especially with all the other stuff going down, like the deaths.

If they filmed the book scene where Walter went out and tested the air for pathogens before telling the crew they did not need EVAC suits, I'm sure all that will be in the deleted scenes section of the Blu Ray, so the complainers can cut together their own spoon-fed version of the movie :) The motes were designed to be undetectable, even down to the molecular scale.

The motes in the movie seem to have some mobility and can collectively move together as one organism. In the book it clearly states they acted as one organism, studied the victim, and made a decision on the point of entry to deposit the pathogen. If the crew were wearing EVAC suits, the motes probably would have attached to the suits and waited for an opportunity to infect when the suit was opened.

in what way am I? how is is stupid if they have done the scans etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Why didnt the marines in Aliens wear spacesuits?

Is it because they'd done tests on the atmosphere and it said it was fine?

Im not sure why people have such a hard time accepting that in this movie a computer said everything was fine for people, then things go wrong.

If everyone on star tyrek beamed to a planet the compputer said was fine then got some alien disease then THEY SHOULD HAVE WORN SPACESUITS TO BE SAFE.

******. It hurts. In Aliens there had been HUMAN colonists LIVING on the planet for some time. It wasn't an unknown. How you even connect those two things as equivalents is mystifying. Apples and oranges.

Anyone got any other thoughts good or bad other than, they didn't wear spacesuits? lol

I loved the movie, but I wish there were more scenes with David where he described what exactly he was able to accomplish with the Engineer's creation. The basics of what the Engineer's pathogen did already existed, as can be seen in the relief sculpture on the wall of the temple in Prometheus. The basic alien/deacon/neomorph creature is there, the face hugger is there, possibly a queen (although I always hated that idea), but I'm not sure about the egg stage. There are a few shapes in the sculpture that could be the egg, or not. That could be David's contribution. Shaw was supposedly sterile, so I doubt the egg was a result of something he did with her. The xeno in the original film was cocoon morphing Brett and Dallas into eggs, so perhaps that's something David was able to engineer the deacon or neo version to do.

Overall, all he really did was modify what they had already designed, and It did not seem that he had any complex equipment to do any genetic modification. What he seemed to be doing was more akin to a breeding program than anything else. Breeding and refining for certain traits.

Why didnt the marines in Aliens wear spacesuits? Is it because they'd done tests on the atmosphere and it said it was fine?

That is actually a good point. ALIENS, do you have an answer to this question?

Ripley: Van Leuwin, why don't you just check out LV-426?
Van Leuwin: Because I don't have to. There have been people living there for 20 years and they've never complained about any hostile organisms.
Ripley: What do you mean? What people?
Van Leuwin: Terraformers, planet engineers. They go in, set up these big atmosphere processors to make the air breathable. Takes decades. It's what we call a shake-n-bake colony.​

With that simple exchange, we learn that LV-426 has been colonized and engineers have been altering it's atmosphere to be more hospitable for humans to live on. Ergo, the movie just explained to you why the characters don't need to wear space suits on a planet where you had to previously.

******. It hurts. In Aliens there had been HUMAN colonists LIVING on the planet for some time. It wasn't an unknown. How you even connect those two things as equivalents is mystifying. Apples and oranges.
Really? What happened to the colonists was completely unknown. Ripley and company went there specifically to find out what happened to them and why communication stopped. It could have been any number of things, including and unknown pathogen that wiped them out. I don't recall anything in Aliens indicating they tested for this, so why weren't they wearing environment suits :)

Im fairly sure you're not doing a trolling, but it's difficult.

What told those humans in Aliens it was OK to live on the planet?and then next question.............. was it OK to live on the planet? i think it actually wasn't was it..

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the good fight. We are now friends.

Really? What happened to the colonists was completely unknown. Ripley and company went there specifically to find out what happened to them and why communication stopped. It could have been any number of things, including and unknown pathogen that wiped them out. I don't recall anything in Aliens indicating they tested for this, so why weren't they wearing environment suits :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back