Check out this Obi-Wan lightsaber from an early VD

SethS

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A guy in the Graflex Addict FB group posted this to show off the cutaway of the Graflex. This is a scan from the first Visual Dictionary that came out in the SW resurgence in the 90s. While the cutaway is old news for most of you, I was grabbed by the Obi-Wan saber.

The clamp section looks pretty decent. The booster looks like a rubber piece or simply painted-- kind of the the shared stunt and V2 in original form. Can't make out the handwheel. The grenade section baffles me-- the shape looks about right, but the finish seems smooth and shiny. The emitter end looks more like the Luke ROTJ hero (ironic given the shared stunt is used to represent Luke right below it).

Mostly, I'm curious about this because of WHEN it was made. We know the Obi-Wan original prop was gone not long after ANH and the shared stunts were used in ESB and ROTJ. So that means that this was likely made for the VD, much like the cutaway was-- or Yoda's saber a decade and a half later for example.

Near as I can tell, the only guide for an Obi-Wan build at that time would have been Shane Johnson's tech journal and whatever stills from ANH could be found. What I find most interesting is that I've never seen this pop up anywhere else in either image form, or as an unofficial prop.

VD.jpg

Seth, if it's still there in the Chinese theater lobby, this is the one they have hanging on Obi's belt.

P.S. I got lunch at Dune in your hood a couple days ago and it was so good. I service a shop right there now. Villa Corona is still A no.1, though.

giphy.gif

I love those books! I still have all of these and I got the new TFA one. I am almost ashamed to say that my Episode I VD actually has pages falling out of it since I purchased it new and went through it a gazillion times when the film was released. I hope they continue to do these for the new films although it seems Rogue One isn't getting one. I know the sabers for the OT aren't accurate for this book but the Episode II VD is how I knew my MR Anakin AOTC wasn't film accurate before I discovered the RPF!

When the ICONS Obi saber was made I bet the prevailing theory about its construction were the motorcycle grip and lawnmwoer gear theory.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back