New Wampa Cave screengrab

Seth I think we can rule my theory out. Wampa cave is a folmer New York non patent

The Lower tube in the ranch/ archives right now I THINK is a folmer New York patent

The photos I've seen of the Ranch saber definitely have a patent number. Based on the stamping style I believe it's a Folmer with patent and not Graflex Inc, but either way it isn't the Wampa cave's "Folmer New York" lower.

Just did a quick bit of iPhone photo tinkering and to me, I definitely see two different types of grips.

Personally I don’t think that buildup is to blame with this. The build up that occurs is never strong, and would have probably broken off with some light handling. Another thing is that the prop department weren’t armatures or idiots. Okay quick fixes and a ‘we’ll use what’s lying around’ attitude was employed but I don’t believe someone drawing through or sanding would have left all the plastic buildup on there. What would be the point of sanding it just to leave it in a worse state!

Just my two cents

No varying types of grip IMHO.
The different "base/ profile" of the t-track is a simple result of physical damage to the rigid plastic. Remember, this saber was probably handled pretty rough and dropped a few times (like most on-screen props). So the rear end of the T-track is deformed and shows some kind of built-up plastic. I can even make out a drop-shadow (wording?), created by the thicker rear.

No varying types of grip IMHO.
The different "base/ profile" of the t-track is a simple result of physical damage to the rigid plastic. Remember, this saber was probably handled pretty rough and dropped a few times (like most on-screen props). So the rear end of the T-track is deformed and shows some kind of built-up plastic. I can even make out a drop-shadow (wording?), created by the thicker rear.

I can see where you're coming from certainly. If the shot was just of the base then yes i'd say probably physical damage etc. But the fact the grip profile seems to be fairly uniform and quite distinct from the other ones puts some doubt in there for me. If there was bad damage, why only on one or two specific grips? The others seem alright? And similarly, surely someone who owns a replica might have experienced something similar-ish by now?

Ive drilled, milled, cut with a rotary tool and with a saw through Roy's grips, burnt them with a heat gun (expensive E-11 project) and never had build up to this extent, and certainly nothing that hasn't broken off in fingers. If the handling was that rough, personally I don't expect the level of buildup seen here to have survived, unless they were recently replaced.

To me this calls for some destructive T-Track Testing....

If it is true and these are casts... what the hell did they do to the mold to make them so fat!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happens when you make a dump mold sometimes. Happened to me alot when I made T-track castings for my blasters and sabers. It comes from adding hieght to the piece for molding (to allow the mold some extra space for the resin to settle flat where the bottom of the casting should be). Sometimes you pour too much resin in causing it to be cat a little to thick at the base of the cast. If you don't understand, I will be more than happy to draw and post a diagram of what I'm talking about as soon as I get some time on my hands :$

I decided to work in the lightsaber tree project into the lightsaber guide. So this seems relevant to this topic. :)

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 10.07.43 AM.png

I decided to work in the lightsaber tree project into the lightsaber guide. So this seems relevant to this topic. :)
Seth, in the RotJ box the photo labeled "Rehearsal Stunt" is the sandstorm photo, correct? If so, is there any indication that was a bladed stunt saber? I've seen conjecture it was set aside and became the Skywalker Ranch saber (which would put it on the red line between the Dagobah hero and the Ranch Saber), but nothing about it being a stunt. Did I miss some important discussion somewhere, am I misreading the chart, or is something else going on?

I always thought this saber

d60c53c0cd4e1e6748abbc2c4150b70f.jpg

Ended up being the ranch saber, it also looks like the kobold is flipped in this picture. We examined this pic in another thread. Could be shadowing..

I also have been told only the bottom section of the ranch saber can be matched to on screen sabers. And the top hasn’t been matched yet

Think they did a lot of flip floppy on set

I always thought this saber

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180903/d60c53c0cd4e1e6748abbc2c4150b70f.png

Ended up being the ranch saber, it also looks like the kobold is flipped in this picture. We examined this pic in another thread. Could be shadowing..

I also have been told only the bottom section of the ranch saber can be matched to on screen sabers. And the top hasn’t been matched yet

Think they did a lot of flip floppy on set

That's been my same exact theory, too. Essentially IMHO they put that together from various parts left over that they could find. I figure the kobold being flipped was a deliberate choice to show a difference between 'Anakin's' and 'Luke's' version of it... or the previous kobold just got damage and they had to replace it and when they did they didn't put it on properly. XD

Seth, in the RotJ box the photo labeled "Rehearsal Stunt" is the sandstorm photo, correct? If so, is there any indication that was a bladed stunt saber? I've seen conjecture it was set aside and became the Skywalker Ranch saber (which would put it on the red line between the Dagobah hero and the Ranch Saber), but nothing about it being a stunt. Did I miss some important discussion somewhere, am I misreading the chart, or is something else going on?

Ha! Good eye. It’s just placeholder until I can find a shot of rehearsals, I know it exists. But, I should put the sandstorm one that into the ROTJ section as ”BTS- UNUSED”

- - - Updated - - -

That's been my same exact theory, too. Essentially IMHO they put that together from various parts left over that they could find. I figure the kobold being flipped was a deliberate choice to show a difference between 'Anakin's' and 'Luke's' version of it... or the previous kobold just got damage and they had to replace it and when they did they didn't put it on properly. XD

Anakin? Neither ANH or ROTS use the Kobold clip.

Ha! Good eye. It’s just placeholder until I can find a shot of rehearsals, I know it exists. But, I should put the sandstorm one that into the ROTJ section as ”BTS- UNUSED”

Cool.

Do the box colors around the images mean anything in particular? With them being the same colors as the relationship lines I keep thinking they must, but I can't puzzle it out and there's nothing in the key about it.

Anakin? Neither ANH or ROTS use the Kobold clip.

When I said Anakin, I mean the 'lightsaber' in general, specifically version of it that appears in TESB. I'm not talking about the version of Anakin's lightsaber from ANH or ROTS. You know, we might have a habit of calling it 'Luke's lightsaber' but it never really was. Anakin built it. It's Anakin's. It's Anakin's in ANH and it's Anakin's in TESB. I was speaking of the differences between what was Anakin's lightsaber in TESB and what almost became Luke's lightsaber in ROTJ. I hope I'm not being confusing here.

EDIT: aaand I see where someone might've gotten the wrong impression in my previous message. I wasn't exactly clear, I think. XD I blame lack of sleep.

Last edited:
Cool.

Do the box colors around the images mean anything in particular? With them being the same colors as the relationship lines I keep thinking they must, but I can't puzzle it out and there's nothing in the key about it.

Those are carry-overs from the full poster version of the lightsaber family tree. I had boxed each saber in a color pertaining to the film it was in. The OT made use of dominant colors in it's cinematography, and I always thought that was cool (ANH was muted earth tones/yellows, ESB Blues and whites, ROTJ greens and blacks). But outside of TLJ doubling down on red, the PT and ST didn't really follow suit. I'm still playing with the look of the chart.

When I said Anakin, I mean the 'lightsaber' in general, specifically version of it that appears in TESB. I'm not talking about the version of Anakin's lightsaber from ANH or ROTS. You know, we might have a habit of calling it 'Luke's lightsaber' but it never really was. Anakin built it. It's Anakin's. It's Anakin's in ANH and it's Anakin's in TESB. I was speaking of the differences between what was Anakin's lightsaber in TESB and what almost became Luke's lightsaber in ROTJ. I hope I'm not being confusing here.

EDIT: aaand I see where someone might've gotten the wrong impression in my previous message. I wasn't exactly clear, I think. XD I blame lack of sleep.

Yeah, that's literally the most confusing thing I've read in ages, LOL.

That's why I abandoned any pretense of being "in-universe' with the lightsaber guide. We call it Luke's saber because it's his.

Yeah, that's literally the most confusing thing I've read in ages, LOL.

That's why I abandoned any pretense of being "in-universe' with the lightsaber guide. We call it Luke's saber because it's his.

Truthfully, I wasn't even thinking in terms of 'in-universe' until just now. XD Even though I've myself referred to it as 'Luke's lightsaber' in the past, I never really considered it so. I ESPECIALLY don't consider it 'Rey's' either. I always linked it to Anakin. Which is funny 'cause I just remembered this particular card from the classic, and fantastic, card game Star Wars CCG from 1996:

s-l1600`.jpg

Truthfully, I wasn't even thinking in terms of 'in-universe' until just now. XD Even though I've myself referred to it as 'Luke's lightsaber' in the past, I never really considered it so. I ESPECIALLY don't consider it 'Rey's' either. I always linked it to Anakin. Which is funny 'cause I just remembered this particular card from the classic, and fantastic, card game Star Wars CCG from 1996:

View attachment 840852

I have to get that card! Do you happen to have the set number?

I have to get that card! Do you happen to have the set number?

That is from the Hoth Expansion pack. You can find the card on eBay for a few dollars if you wanna go that route. IMHO I loved the Star Wars Customizable Card Game and recommend it to everyone. It always had great bits of lore... and a hilariously-wicked sense of humor.

s-l1600aa.jpg

(FYI that particular card is from the Cloud City Expansion)

That is from the Hoth Expansion pack. You can find the card on eBay for a few dollars if you wanna go that route. IMHO I loved the Star Wars Customizable Card Game and recommend it to everyone. It always had great bits of lore... and a hilariously-wicked sense of humor.

View attachment 840881

(FYI that particular card is from the Cloud City Expansion)

I use to play back in the day, magic the gathering, and Pokémon were my main games. Star Wars was on the side, I ditched the Wars, started with dragon ball z, ditched that and jumped back into episode 1 stuff. The mechanic changed a little bit but it passed the time

I’ll keep my eyes out on the bay for that card, thank you

Here’s a thought regarding why the grips look so uneven in size and chewed up on the Wampa stunt hilt...

There has been conjectural information around for a while that the stunt hilts used in ESB used rubber casts of the T-Tracks.

Given how uncomfortable the hard plastic t-track would be to duel with, this would make a lot of sense and would go a long way towards explaining why the grips in the Wampa cave look the way they do.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Here’s a thought regarding why the grips look so uneven in size and chewed up...

There has been conjectural information around for a while that the stunt hilts used in ESB used rubber casts of the T-Tracks.

Given how uncomfortable the hard plastic t-track would be to duel with, this would make a lot of sense and would go a long way towards explaining why the grips in the Wampa cave look the way they do.

Just a thought.

My thought exactly alley

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back