Bandai release schedule

I dunno.
Waiting to see the films BO returns would mean RD and engineering would start afterward and would push back the release several months or even a year...well past the prime interest window.

The Last Jedi resulted in a 45% drop in SW merch sales and Bandai announced the release of those ships 冷 before the movie came out.

If the film is a hit (and I'm very much hoping it is) the interest window stays open almost indefinitely. We're still interested in Star Wars kits 40 years after the fact. Heck, many of us are excited about a new model from Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and that isn't exactly regarded as the franchise's high-water mark! :$

If the film is a hit (and I'm very much hoping it is) the interest window stays open almost indefinitely. We're still interested in Star Wars kits 40 years after the fact. Heck, many of us are excited about a new model from Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and that isn't exactly regarded as the franchise's high-water mark! :$

The original trilogy has the marketing power to withstand 40 years..i doubt any followup will match that.

They would not release a films products 6 or 10 months after the films release.
Disney would make sure to take advantage of the initial window of interest generated within the first 2 months.

A delay of 6 or 10 months of R&D and engineering would cost disney millions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The original trilogy has the marketing power to withstand 40 years..i doubt any followup will match that.

They would not release a films products 6 or 10 months after the films release.
Disney would make sure to take advantage of the initial window of interest generated within the first 2 months.

A delay of 6 or 10 months of R&D and engineering would cost disney millions.

Bandai released the Jango Slave I not too long ago, so it does happen occasionally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bandai released the Jango Slave I not too long ago, so it does happen occasionally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not to mention the battledroid/STAP, clonetrooper, Grevious, and the Jedi starfighter. I know I'm not alone among modelers who would like to see more PT releases and those films are 15-20 years old now.

Anyway not saying you're wrong, Darth Saber, but I think we're in slightly uncharted waters with Solo. The dropoff in merchandising profits from TFA to TLJ should also be seen in the context of the fact that TFA set a VERY high bar, being the first Star Wars film in 10 years and clearly marketed as a big wet kiss to the OT. A significant drop off was inevitable. Now Solo has to contend (unfairly) with the box office drop and fan fallout from TLJ, so licensees may simply be a bit cautious until they know what they're dealing with. Then again, Bandai could announce 5 new Solo kits on April 1st and this entire discussion is Bantha poo-doo.

I'm getting a little irked at that "sales dropoff" line. Hasbro's overall Q4 sales were down, which -- as that encompasses holiday purchasing -- came as a surprise to them. Some of it was what's been going on with Toys 'R' Us, some due to a slack holiday season everywhere (not going to get into socio-economic or political commentary here), some was a Star Wars toy lag, yes. But I attribute that much more to Hasbro than Star Wars. They have, much to my irritation, mis-guessed what people will want for the last several years. Not thinking more people would want the 6" Black Series Revan? Thinking people -- kids or otherwise -- want build-your-own-lightsaber kits? Nerf-dart shooty things on their Star Wars vehicles? I've poked around a bit and a lot of their "play features" fall flat with kids and hurt desirability for collectors. There aren't as many people actually interested in the 6" or larger figures as someone thought. The basic 3-3/4" figures are more expensive than their simplicity and ease-of-play justify, and the 3-3/4" Black Series figures are a lot more scarce that what people want.

Thankfully, they've recognized that last point. Their Toy Fair booth had a bunch of new 3-3/4" high-detail, superarticulated figures, back on the "Vintage Collection" cardbacks.

Forces of Destiny also seems to be doing well -- with girls, boys, and adult collectors.

Their Black Series 1:1 stuff is doing well (I, personally, have bought three Amazon-exclusive Shadow Trooper helmets, one regular Stormtrooper helmet, the Poe Dameron helmet, and am planning on getting the riot baton and -- if it is worth it -- the Vader helmet).

Some of it is also on the people running the toy sections of places like WalMart or Target 1) having a clue and 2) giving a damn. My local Target is pretty good in some respects, though not in others. My local WalMart is so iffy. There are a bunch of Rogue One figures still rusting on the vine, and whoever runs the department seems to have an attitude of "we'll order more when this stuff is gone", so I've missed out on a lot of newer releases.

If Hasbro can find the right balance between satisfying adult nerds and collectors and appealing to younger people who want things to play with, they ought to be able to recover and do well. I like the new Falcon toy, but wish they were still doing either 1) more of the larger, more accurately scaled Legacy ships, like their X-Wing and Millennium Falcon... or release a line in 1:24 -- the scale of the old M.A.S.K. toy line -- that is big enough for detail and play value, but small enough for people and vehicles to be in scale with each other and still able to be easily played with. I think that's why the 6" stuff irritated me so much -- felt like a move in exactly the wrong direction to increase mass sales.

I do not think sales were hurt anywhere near as badly as the "negative nellies" on here like to echo back and forth, and only some of that due to attitudes about the films they were released to accompany. So try not to start declaiming the end of the world unless and until it actually happens. The forthcoming releases list on the cultTVman site makes me really happy, and I feel there will be more to come.

--Jonah

This would make a nice little display

http://bandai-hobby.net/item/2305/

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I've been hoping for a good way to get more tiles (and the tower, without buying the 1:72 A-Wing) for ages. I'll definitely be picking up several. Thank you, Bandai!

Edit: this deserves copying the photos inline.

153_2305_o_1c98ghpg2isb15r19th1pt17ug23.jpg155_2305_o_1c98gi51mn20h1a1vq1ijh11pp2d.jpg157_2305_o_1c98gihh41m6ojpb1kok1ic2149a2n.jpg158_2305_o_1c98ginkmkgq1jmc1np3k241dcf2s.jpg156_2305_o_1c98gia0ufri1ui4tfv1d7i1rlq2i.jpg

Not to mention the battledroid/STAP, clonetrooper, Grevious, and the Jedi starfighter. I know I'm not alone among modelers who would like to see more PT releases and those films are 15-20 years old now.

Anyway not saying you're wrong, Darth Saber, but I think we're in slightly uncharted waters with Solo. The dropoff in merchandising profits from TFA to TLJ should also be seen in the context of the fact that TFA set a VERY high bar, being the first Star Wars film in 10 years and clearly marketed as a big wet kiss to the OT. A significant drop off was inevitable. Now Solo has to contend (unfairly) with the box office drop and fan fallout from TLJ, so licensees may simply be a bit cautious until they know what they're dealing with. Then again, Bandai could announce 5 new Solo kits on April 1st and this entire discussion is Bantha poo-doo.

Im aware that there are some ships from
The PT released by Bandai, but it still doesnt even come close to the 40 year popularity of the OT.

We were also in uncharted waters with Force Awakens, the Last Jedi and Rogue One and Bandai still released some of their ships before the films came out.
No reason to think they wont do the same with Solo.

Some interesting bits to puzzle over until this is released in June, from the Google translation:

■ The included 1/144 scale X Wing Starfighter can reproduce Red 5, Red 2, Red 3 by decal.

So, possible water-slide decals for Red 2, 3, and 5?

X Wing · Star Fighter × 1

So it includes just one 1:144 X-wing. OK, I can live with that.

Molded Item × 8

So it's unlikely that everything seen in the photos is included, because by my count that's 11 tiles and 1 tower. I really hope the tower is included. If it's 7 tiles, 1 tower, 1 X-wing, water slide decals, and those L-shaped connectors, I'll still be extremely happy and probably buy at least 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you consider the turret as tile, then yes :)
I too thing the tiles are a awesome addition, thats why I think Bandai should offer a set of 12 to 15 tiles on their own. They could throw in a punch of 90° connector and we could build a awesome trench display :) :)

Quoteing myself from my library thread from january 2017 :)
I love when this happens, and I am wondering..... ;) :) :)

When they had that Bandai hobby site poll a while ago asking what we would like to see I had suggested diorama type of sets. Both Death Star tiles as well as figures

I'm sure people have been asking them for tile sets ever since they were displayed

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I've been hoping for a good way to get more tiles (and the tower, without buying the 1:72 A-Wing) for ages. I'll definitely be picking up several. Thank you, Bandai!

Edit: this deserves copying the photos inline.

View attachment 804610View attachment 804611View attachment 804613View attachment 804614View attachment 804612

Okay now that is BEYOND AWESOME! I am DEFINITELY going to be getting one of those, even though the only mini I bought and built was the Star Destroyer. THAT however, is a good use of a mini model.

Molded Item × 8

So it's unlikely that everything seen in the photos is included, because by my count that's 11 tiles and 1 tower. I really hope the tower is included. If it's 7 tiles, 1 tower, 1 X-wing, water slide decals, and those L-shaped connectors, I'll still be extremely happy and probably buy at least 2.

That part means "8 sprues of molded plastic" (including the sprues for the X-Wing and the connector).
Usually, it would be clearly stated if things that are not included in the kit are depicted in the photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instant buy for me. The price is reasonable and I already have the tower that came with the A-Wing. So way to go, folks! :)

All I need now is a bunch of 1:144 TIE Fighters because I'm planning to make a 1:144 model of the Gozanti cruiser. I don't like to have so many Vader TIEs as doubles if I have to buy the existing two-pack. :)

Just was thinking of, how awesome this might look, if Bandai would expand that DS-theme and bring up another set of tiles with the red-framed DSII entry and throw in a .144 ROTJ Falcon ;) :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back