Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
No, I tried but couldn't tolerate it. For all the reasons I've previously outlined for you. They've lost their appeal.

Let's leave it at that. You're obviously a HUUUUUUUGE fan of theirs. But I'm bored talking about them, and have been for most of this exchange.

You can have the last word, but I won't be responding.

The Wook

It's really because they didn't go on and on about AE's height, isn't it?.....:lol

"Episode Nein"

L0L

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tuned in to the Ethan Van Sciver, world renowned comic book artist and barnstorming You Tuber`s stream this morning to be pleasantly surprised with him referring to the next ST movie as Episode Nein, Baron Von Siegfried style. Was very touched and proud.

This film is simply, holding like a champ. Just give it 20 more years in theaters and it might break even. The positive WOM is really helping . :lol
Desperation.png

As a general format, the main purpose of the poll is a quick way for members to express what they felt about the movie and in turn let other members know the general consensus on what the rest felt.

Now the movie going public are already very selective and would choose to see only handful of movies in theatres, while considering other selections for home viewing.

If somebody is not interested in a movie, they can skip the thread poll and jump into the discussion expressing why they don't care for the film. Or maybe even skip the thread entirely.

Someone's disinterest to watch a particular film doesn't need to be represented in these polls everytime, it already gets reflected by their votes being absent. We rather have the poll options and numbers be reserved for individuals who took the time to see the film.

I know many won't agree to this approach, but that's how it's going to be for now.

makes perfect sense to me

Thanks Vivek, don't worry too much if its a problem.
As it is I've had some interesting chats over the last couple of week about the SW franchise (and Solo) with people who are not really SW fans (as we are here)but just steady movie goers. So the respounces are a bit more measured and accurate. I was curious as to whether the influx of votes in TLJ was as a result of the "new members" and how many here have actually boycotted Solo still (I'm estimating low figures ).

But there is no doubt (at least) to me any more that TLJ has had a measurable impact on the GENERAL publics perception of the franchise and its definitely affected interest in the series going forward.
I caught up with an old friend who is still working in a large office (despite reaching retirement age) and much of the staff conversations at breaks and lunchtimes revolve around the films he's been to see, as he is an avid cinema buff. Jeff is the kind of the go to man if people want advice on whats worth watching on a weekend.

"Infinity War" and "Deadpool 2" have understandably been hot topics, particularly IW where lots of co workers picked his brains for an explanation on the "snap"ending.And its very apparent people really do enjoy Marvel movies and the way they all mesh together. Feedback on Deadpool 2 was interesting though , alot liked it, but a few who didn't enjoy the first wouldn't touch the second, which kind of accounts for the BO drop.

That reminds me strongly of the first SW movie release. Alot of folks went to see it because of the hype and interest and then decided SW just wasn't for them. Which is why TESB, despite being a better movie, didn't do so well. For alot of people its just a movie.And this was also probably true for TLJ as well.

Jeff didn't hate TLJ, he's always been a strong Trekkie (just don't mention Star Trek : Discovery to him ) but he simply didn't think it was a good film, and its interesting to note that he said a great deal of the discussions he had for it were exactly that.
It was just OK for many, a few thought it was pretty stupid and couple properly hated it, but the broad respounce seemed to be a "Meh", nothing like the interested and buzzing conversations he gets after a Marvel or blockbuster movie .

And the discussion about Solo has been even less than that,most simply had no interest in it at all and compared to all the anticipation for recent "superhero" movie events this just wasn't one. Neither they or their families wanted to make the effort to see it, nor ,and ,heres the important part ,spend the time and money doing so when the weather was so good.Its summer.

Alot couldn't understand why a film that wasn't sequential to the story (like a Marvel), being released so close after the TLJ and that that didn't make sense to them. Others had heard it had been troubled production and a likely train wreak and many thought the guy didn't look like Han Solo ,so it wasn't WORTH the effort. In Jeffs opinion it was OK again, and it felt like an old SW movie in that it was occasionally slow in parts and didn't really do anything different.

Again its that just OK theme, average, good enough to watch but very easily forgotten and not much to discuss afterward. Certainly it seems to help a film when people get to talk about it and share on social media.

My gut feeling is that the general publics benchmark expectations have really been pushed forward by much greater margin in the last decade or so and as event movies go, I think Star Wars has really been superceeded.
When "A New Hope" came out there really was nothing like it ever ,it had such a huge cultural impact.Han, Luke and Leia were the absolute heroes to everybody then, a Death Star that destroyed planets was incredible feat of imagination, lightsabre battles , space dogfights and Darth Vader was an awesome villian.

Fast forward forty years and now what? How does Snoke compete and compare with a Thanos? Kylo Ren with Nebula? A young Han Solo with Peter Quill? I did say years ago I foresaw trouble for SW after seeing "Guardians of the Galaxy." SW seems to want to destroy its heroes now , leaving the rest of it seeming so bland and unengaging .

Thats the problem for the franchise. If Solo had come out even just ten years ago ,it would have probably done so much better and its BO would have been so much more acceptable (particularly) if they hadn't spent so much money reshooting it.

But there is hard truth here. Its not just ONE movie franchise in a galaxy far. far away any more,. There been quite a few over the years and right now there is a massive, much better written one ,with stronger and more interesting characters on adventures far more imaginative and exciting than Star Wars can offer these days.

And thats probably why the general cinema going public aren't as interested .

Star Wars isn't the future any more. Its the past.

I don't argue your analysis. It's probably true. The main reason that I'm not caught up in it is that i am not one of those so enamoured and in love with the Marvel universe. It just doesn't do it for me... and while I know that i am in the minority on that one, nevertheless it's my view.

I think it probably is true that Star Wars isn't the Big Fish it once was. But i still love it (well, the movies, anyway) and don't care much at all about the Marvel movies. but that's just me. i have my view.. others have theirs. it's all good. :)

I agree. it's slanted toward the negative.

It should be utterly neutral.

"It was OK. I neither liked or disliked it."

That's how all of those dumb satisfaction surveys are worded :p

KJ, I would also get rid of the sentence, "It was OK.". "OK" connotes acceptable, so that is skewed to the positive. To say something is "OK", to me puts it at around a 6 on a scale of 1-10. Not a 5, which would be truly neutral.

The Wook

This film is simply, holding like a champ. Just give it 20 more years in theaters and it might break even. The positive WOM is really helping . :lol
View attachment 822807

That ad is tragic.

More like Pathetic in my book! :facepalm

This is what they've reduced "Star Wars" to. It's shameful, and sickens me.

And note that they say, "Don't believe EVERYTHING you've heard", and not, "Don't believe some of the things you've heard". They know everyone hates it!

*****, I cannot get over what they've done to this once-magical franchise.

The Wook

Totally agree with you Bro!

They have no shame.... :unsure

And note that they say, "Don't believe EVERYTHING you've heard", and not, "Don't believe some of the things you've heard". They know everyone hates it!

The Wook

The Wook

Yep. This ad either 1) reminds people what they've heard, which is probably a mix of middling reviews and box office bombing stories, or 2) suggests to people unfamiliar with Solo that word of mouth hasn't been terribly positive. I can't imagine it would convince many holdouts to see the film.

This ad just seems to be drawing attention to the film's status as a "flop."

View attachment 822807

Geez. that's like a first for any movie right?

Anyways, they ultimately lost my trust when I started to finally see the kid speak some lines.
It was never going to work for me if they thought that was passable.

… *****, I cannot get over what they've done to this once-magical franchise.

The Wook
What, like the prequel junk that George shat out didn’t spoil it?

I’m not excusing TFA and TLJ, but sitting through ROTS (just realized that irony, huh), I used up all my groans and goodbyes for SW.

Maybe that’s why I enjoyed SOLO. The vessel of my SW pleasure was completely empty. There’s nothing left to spill out.

Ah... So people don't change at all over the course of a decade. Got it.

Congratulations on completely missing the point of my post. I literally said he has an arc in ANH, which by definition implies that characters DO in fact change. So nice strawman.

And it's not unique here, either. Beckett strips off the rifle attachments of a model of field carbine and tosses him the heavy-pistol base to use. He didn't craft Han's blaster in the forges of Nidavellir as a one-off artifact.

And again, crafting stawmen to argue things I never said. I specifically said Han's blaster isn't unique -- a fact we learned in Empire. So AGAIN, making a big deal of how he got his blaster is ridiculous. It's a very odd choice to make from a writing standpoint, considering there's a lot of implication that Han has a interesting and unique history that is decidedly NOT centered around the things we already know about him.... but we didn't get that movie. We got a bland, safe movie.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back