NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

at the very least it makes me less fumed about the weird boxy nose on the full scale falcon for TFA and TLJ, if only because now I know *why* it looks like that. I mean it could also be a coincidence but it's hard to ignore how close it fits. Still think the TFA/TLJ nose looks weird though.

Honestly the new/old falcon is growing on me. It obviously looks better in its OT incarnation, but as some members pointed out with before and after shots of hot rods it makes total sense to me.

So is this supposed to be the actual CG asset?
8b636e0d54cc9e67789936d276e53620.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The new MF exterior shell had those thick jawboxes during EP#7. I don't believe for a second that they were planning the Solo movie changes that early. Disney didn't even bother to plan the basic storyline of the trilogy ahead of time. The MF jawboxes are nothing more than a coincidence.

I think you're probably right, and it makes no sense for the design phase of Solo to be in the works when TFA was in production.

But then again... the nose is just so glaringly wrong. Every other part of the ship looks fine, and they had all the original blueprints, no other falcon looks like that, even the 32" has a jaw box that's looks more normal. And the lines converge perfectly. I'm just saying, it's a possibility. Or a hell of a coincidence.

holy crap, this actually explains everything about that weird design. This is the same nose shape as on TFA also...how did they know that far in advance?

View attachment 797866

I think this is more a coincidence. The big tell is that the producers didn't modify the CG Falcon model to match, which would've been done long after the full size set was made and shot.

Honestly, I would've preferred Disney just build full-size boarding ramp and use CG for the rest of the ship. That's what they did for the Jakku scenes in TFA -- they didn't build the full-size ship in Dubai -- and the Falcon looked great. Unfortunately, I think Disney believes fans will only be happy unless there's a full-size physical set so they do it just so they can say, "See? Practical effects! Love us!"

Cool cool opinion noted. I still think it's interesting from a production standpoint

Writers aspiring to get a book published are being taught up front that publishers are looking for stories / ideas that will span multiple books. I suspect the same mindset prevails the movie industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The already made this mistake with the build of full size-set for TFA, and I doubt that the "SOLO"-Conversion was already planned at this time:

6a.jpg

esb full size exterior set was 85% i believe...$15.00 short of a hundred dollar bill....
For practical reasons, I understand why they build sets at 85% or half scale. With forced perspective you can create the illusion of full size as well as with modern digital compositing in post-production.

Back to the ESB example of Han between the mandibles (is that a sexual refrence?), is that shot to scale or at 85%. In other words is Han oversized compared to the Falcon?

Maybe this specific portion is a 100% set peice?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
590e1bd80ff18860112553f32c521f74.jpg

EDIT: Disclaimer, not my pic. From an earlier post here.

Last edited:
The exact size of the real ship is debatable.

The original ILM model (#1 reference for everything else): 136-foot real ship, based on the scale of the seats in the cockpit.

The 1:1 interior sets: 114-foot ship.

The 1:1 exterior shells: 82-foot ship (about 72% of the interior sets).

The interiors cannot be fit into the exterior shape. No way. It's not only the sizing but also the angles of hallways and stuff.

Comparing Han's scale in Toadmeister's pic to the cockpit it seems consistent with the full-size set being 85% of what it should be.
There'd still be low headroom for a passage to the forward escape pod but that's not unusual for maritime shipping and a spacecraft that, after all, is out in a zero-g environment where the 'up and down' is oriented differently in the gunners turret to the rest of the ship.

HanMFcomp.jpg

For practical reasons, I understand why they build sets at 85% or half scale. With forced perspective you can create the illusion of full size as well as with modern digital compositing in post-production.

Back to the ESB example of Han between the mandibles (is that a sexual refrence?), is that shot to scale or at 85%. In other words is Han oversized compared to the Falcon?

Maybe this specific portion is a 100% set peice?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180224/590e1bd80ff18860112553f32c521f74.jpg

Don't forget that they performed significant re-scaling of this scene, and a few others in ESB, I believe for the blu-ray releases, to make the Falcon appear bigger (i.e. to make the scaled-down exterior set look more like the hypothetical "full-size" Falcon).

When it comes to the Falcon, there really is absolutely not "true" Falcon - you just eventually have to learn to live with that.

Don't forget that they performed significant re-scaling of this scene, and a few others in ESB, I believe for the blu-ray releases, to make the Falcon appear bigger (i.e. to make the scaled-down exterior set look more like the hypothetical "full-size" Falcon).
I didn't know the BR or sebsequent releases fixed scaling issues. Intaresting.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back