Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I like RLM, especially the Half in the Bag movie reviews and the Re:View series. They aren't funny per se, but I do find most of their critiques to be insightful. I haven't watched the video above yet, but I will when I get home from work.
I just can't put any stock in guys who make their mark shredding Lucas for the prequels, yet go on to make "Space Cop". Then they go on to bash "Rogue One" for everything that they praised "The Force Awakens" for. More power to you if you enjoy them, but your very own insights are probably more valid than theirs are. You most certainly must be less pretentious than those guys, as it would be impossible to be more pretentious.

Hmmm. First reviews are in - and they are either pretty over-the-moon (io9, Hollywood Reporter, Rolling Stone (who say "he Last Jedi – Episode VIII of the Star Wars saga – is simply stupendous, a volcano of creative ideas in full eruption")) or middling (Variety) to poor (CNN). Makes me wonder how much is the film and how much is the prejudices/expectations the reviewer carried into the theater (especially that CNN one, which borders on downright nasty). I suspect that range of reviews, and the causes for them, will be pretty well-mirrored in this forum.

M

Sorry guys, been away for a little bit, whats going on in some other thread?

Link to the thread was posted on reddit somewhere, so now we had a massive influx of new members joining up just to ask questions about the new movie. Majority of the names in that thread only have a single post on their profile. But the questions got really nit-picky really fast, like asking if random things from the visual dictionary are used in the movie at some point, etc.

Okay wow, looking at the spoiler thread, it has since devolved into arguments and yelling about how spoilers have ruined the movie for everyone. People are joining, going to a thread titled "Spoilers" to complain about the spoilers within....

Some one needs to explain to me again how Disney is ruining Star Wars...
People have been shouting about how X has been ruining Star Wars since the early 80's. Each time something new happens, it's actually some super secret plot to ruin childhoods. No one ever really takes into account that they have taken some piece of entertainment from their childhoods and placed it so high on a pedestal that they will not allow anything to upset it so they lash out and complain. Meanwhile people today like what they see.

Plenty of people like the Prequels too, but they are not really allowed to say that because a lot of the OT fans will not have it.

Some one needs to explain to me again how Disney is ruining Star Wars...

Well, Bryan, luckily Variety is here to answer that for you.

"As it turns out, although “The Last Jedi” meets a relatively high standard for franchise filmmaking, Johnson’s effort is ultimately a disappointment. If anything, it demonstrates just how effective supervising producer Kathleen Kennedy and the forces that oversee this now Disney-owned property are at molding their individual directors’ visions into supporting a unified corporate aesthetic — a process that chewed up and spat out helmers such as Colin Trevorrow, Gareth Edwards, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. But Johnson was either strong enough or weak enough to adapt to such pressures, and the result is the longest and least essential chapter in the series."

Sigh. I don't know where to start. One the one hand, "it's a high point as far as Star Wars films go" (which is a pretty darn high bar given several of those films) but it still "disappoints" because, well, Disney. Hence my comment about maybe the reviewers dragging in their own biases.

The TLJ spoiler thread that's gone 27 pages in less than two days, which I've been avoiding so I don't know all the hubbub.
Ohhh ok. Interesting. Like Bryan said, I bet the mods are happy with that.
Djinn Thanks for clarifying man. Thats kind of insane, 27 pages in 2 days? I wonder how many will drop off in the next few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh ok. Interesting. Like Bryan said, I bet the mods are happy with that.
@Djinn Thanks for clarifying man. Thats kind of insane, 27 pages in 2 days? I wonder how many will drop off in the next few days.
Vivek wasn’t a fan. The offending thread is starting to fall down the page and a proper post release thread pinned at the top.

I'm really glad I'm going to be able to see this one without any idea what the plot will be. As divisive as this movie is I'm really looking forward to forming my own opinion without outside knowledge of what I should be expecting.

It must be quite the burden to go into a movie expecting 2 hours of EXACTLY what you want, but getting someone else's vision. We all feel for your struggle.

Heads up to anyone who's a T-Mobile customer, T-Mobile Tuesdays has a $5 movie ticket from Atom Tickets today. I know from experience (Thor: Ragnarok) that they don't limit you on what movies are available, and you can do 3D for the same price, too. So if you want to see the movie for cheap this weekend...

Heads up to anyone who's a T-Mobile customer, T-Mobile Tuesdays has a $5 movie ticket from Atom Tickets today. I know from experience (Thor: Ragnarok) that they don't limit you on what movies are available, and you can do 3D for the same price, too. So if you want to see the movie for cheap this weekend...
Holy **** thank you Dessa! I am in fact a T Mobile customer but I was too lazy to look into it cause I thought you had to sign up, it wouldnt work for new movies etc... I appreciate the tip! :love

Well, Bryan, luckily Variety is here to answer that for you.

Variety's review slings some stinging zingers to the current Star Wars producers. Maybe the TV spots could add some of these quotes:

- "...[Director Rian] Johnson deserves credit for not messing things up..."

- "...The Force Awakens, which felt like a thrilling, big-budget Star Wars fan film..."

- "The Last Jedi possesses the same reverence for the galaxy Lucas created ... while barely advancing the narrative..."

- "Luke is funnier than we’ve ever seen him — a personality change that betrays how “Star Wars” has been influenced by industry trends. Though the series has always been self-aware enough to crack jokes, it now gives in to the same winking self-parody that is poisoning other franchises of late, from the Marvel movies to “Pirates of the Caribbean.” But it begs the question: If movies can’t take themselves seriously, why should audiences? ... But do those audiences have bladders big enough to sit through a talky two-and-a-half-hour tug-of-war between the light and dark sides of the Force?"

- "... despite [the Last Jedi's] success at supplying jaw-dropping visuals and a hall-of-fame-worthy lightsaber battle, audiences could presumably skip this film and show up for Episode IX without experiencing the slightest confusion as to what happened in the interim."

- "Johnson’s effort is ultimately a disappointment..."

- "...the result is the longest and least essential chapter in the series."

Here's closing words of a (non-spoiler and very positive) review over at theforce.net:

If George Lucas and Dave Filoni took speed and made a Star Wars movie, you would get The Last Jedi.

12 hours now and I'll be seeing for myself...[emoji51]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back