Starlord's sony walkmen? guardian of the galaxy?

I haven't come across any pictures of the back of the screen-used TPS-L2 yet, but I also picked up a lot of three old Walkmans that I'll probably end up cannibalizing to make the TCM-600 more accurate, including adding a belt clip.

Spent a while perusing cassette tape websites and stumbled upon a pretty significant discovery.

tdk-cding-2_151522.jpg

tdk_cding2_60_111227.jpg

6128055249_01362672d3_z.jpg

Looks like our culprit is probably the TDK CDing 2, which came in a variety of colors, has the white ovals, and upon further inspection, the "swoop" is more yellow than white, so I do believe we have a winner!

Also, there's actually a number of different CDing 2 types, so this is the packaging you're looking for when ordering online.

29692833.jpg

Happy hunting, everyone!

Last edited:
So I've been looking into this for a few days now and heres what I could find. The TDK CDing 2 is the cassette as CrowTeeRobot mentioned so just to add a few things. You want to make sure you buy the package listed above because as mentioned before there are many types of cassettes. You are looking for the Type II and Position Chrome. The more I look at the soundtrack picture I'm leaning more towards the clear 90 shown above instead of the darker grey. The one in the soundtrack only has 4 of those white ovals on the A side. Im not sure if this matters because I think that either the A or B side has this depending on the tape. The one thing that I'm not sure about are the C-clamps, If you look in the soundtrack image you can see that around the cassette hubs the C clamps don't wrap all the way around. I can't find the article either, but I remember reading (and my memory could be wrong) that James Gunn bought a 90 minute cassette and made the mix tape.

The thing is from talking to people, apparently you can get either grey or clear (probably not red or orange) in that same packaging, so I would check to see if possible. Also these don't seem to be very common in the USA as mentioned elsewhere. The UK has a ton of them though.

mixtape-starlord-s-awesome-mix-tape-vol-1-you-can-order-now.jpg

Last edited:
CrowTeeRobot, Is the packaging you show here for the clear cassette (top photo)? Or is all the packaging the same regardless of color? I saw one on ebay with orange (instead of green) packaging and it was a 60 instead of a 90. It looked to be the translucent black color tape. I assume any color could come in the package, the 60/90 is just reference to the duration of the tape.

Also, I assume everyone is making the labels using blanks... just curious if anyone has actually sourced the labels used.

Last edited:
This thread is really pulling together and I love it! JrZyBud, I'm not sure that the C Clamps aren't complete, I think it's just that they're partly colored. This is a tape I dug out of a box of cassettes at home and what led me down the TDK route because it matched so perfectly besides the ovals and swoop.

1512580_10152353631225892_34204949758048002_n.jpg

If you look at the c clamps, they're partially colored red, so I'm going to guess the ones on the CDing 2 are black or grey colored instead of red.

I also received my TCM-600 in the mail today, it's nice and hefty, just like you'd expect a thirty-six year old cassette player to be.

1524813_10152353631215892_4774582268688300422_n.jpg

I'm not entirely sure, LegendaryOutlaw, I just ordered some tapes off ebay and will let you know the details of the colors as soon as I get them in the mail. Also, I made up the Awesome Mix Vol. 1 labels in photoshop using the album photo. I'm actually planning on getting some labels made up at a local print shop, but for now I'm going to be using my printer for test purposes at home.

print size labels.png

That picture is set to exact proportions of 8 1/2 by 11 inch printer paper, so if you print it out with no borders, it should be life size and ready to be cut and glued onto a cassette. When printed, the label should be about 3 3/4 inches wide and fit on the tape, which is 3 7/8 wide.

Last edited:
Firstly, you're not supposed to post active ebay links. Secondly, that's nothing like the Walkman being discussed :confused

This thread is really pulling together and I love it! JrZyBud, I'm not sure that the C Clamps aren't complete, I think it's just that they're partly colored. This is a tape I dug out of a box of cassettes at home and what led me down the TDK route because it matched so perfectly besides the ovals and swoop.

View attachment 359053

If you look at the c clamps, they're partially colored red, so I'm going to guess the ones on the CDing 2 are black or grey colored instead of red.

I also received my TCM-600 in the mail today, it's nice and hefty, just like you'd expect a thirty-six year old cassette player to be.

View attachment 359057

I'm not entirely sure, LegendaryOutlaw, I just ordered some tapes off ebay and will let you know the details of the colors as soon as I get them in the mail. Also, I made up the Awesome Mix Vol. 1 labels in photoshop using the album photo. I'm actually planning on getting some labels made up at a local print shop, but for now I'm going to be using my printer for test purposes at home.

View attachment 359058

That picture is set to exact proportions of 8 1/2 by 11 inch printer paper, so if you print it out with no borders, it should be life size and ready to be cut and glued onto a cassette. When printed, the label should be about 3 3/4 inches wide and fit on the tape, which is 3 7/8 wide.
i thought the TCM-600 was a recorder not a player. All the websites i go to say its just a recorder but can it play cassettes too? im confused

i thought the TCM-600 was a recorder not a player. All the websites i go to say its just a recorder but can it play cassettes too? im confused

The TCM-600 is a recorder, but it does have playback, so it technically can play cassettes as well.

Speaking of which, I'm in the middle of modifying my TCM, I've started taking it apart and am gonna do some paint tests first before I go whole hog. Wish me luck!

Has anyone found any "close enough" headphones? All the listings I've see for the real deals (with or without orange foam covers) are about the same price as a full Walkman.

-Nick

I read that that movie actually bought all 16 L2s that were on ebay at the time and will be holding on to them for the sequel. Makes it harder to get one that way. :(

Why? Do you realize how many copies of the same prop are used throughout filming? Can be dozens. Things break, get misplaced. They didn't do it to keep people from buying them

Has anyone found any "close enough" headphones? All the listings I've see for the real deals (with or without orange foam covers) are about the same price as a full Walkman.

-Nick

Do a search for "headphones with orange pads" and you will find a seller in the UK that has a lot of "close enough" headphones :) Grudgehammer originally found them in his thread: http://www.therpf.com/f78/starlord-cosplay-no-helmet-218415/

I read in an interview somewhere that the movie people couldn't even find original headphones and just made their own replicas.

That was a major dick move by them

They have to buy them first before they can be filmed... If they hadn't used the Walkman in the movie would you even care to get one?

Do a search for "headphones with orange pads" and you will find a seller in the UK that has a lot of "close enough" headphones :) Grudgehammer originally found them in his thread: http://www.therpf.com/f78/starlord-cosplay-no-helmet-218415/

I read in an interview somewhere that the movie people couldn't even find original headphones and just made their own replicas.

I actually got those exact headphones in the mail today and they're super flimsy, luckily there were some vintage SONY headphones with the lot of Walkmans I bought and just swapped out the foam pads.

I just noticed there's also pairs for sale on ebay under the name "Electrovision Orange Stereo Headphones" that aren't quite the same as the other ones, the shipping is free too, which makes them more affordable than the Soundlab headphones as well.

$_57.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back