3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

Re: 3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build

Looks great! Question for you and all... how will you achieve the "robocop color scheme" I'm building a 1990's Horizon 1/6 scale model and having trouble with the armours colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! I bought those files last year. Good to hear that they are a nice starting pad.

Looks great! Question for you and all... how will you achieve the "robocop color scheme" I'm building a 1990's Horizon 1/6 scale model and having trouble with the armours colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer, I have never painted a Robocop suit. But I would approach it with multiple colors built up with an airbrush and then sealed with clear

The original suits as far as the tale is told used some kind of photo-reactive paint that made it look a lot more metallic then what it really was. A similar effect would be how Jor-el's kryptonian suit in the original Superman The Movie registered on camera that made it appear with a glow. Now the Robocop suit doesn't glow but the original paint job is anything far from metallic looking. Here is how the original suits were painted. It's almost an aqua with purple, blue, goldish highlights.

The metallic look is basically an illusion. So however any individual person paints it, it's going be what they think they see on screen. I'll try to capture that using a metallic silver paint I find closely matches what I personally think I see on film along with some blue and purple airbrushed highlights.

My goal is to have something that looks somewhat like this but with a little less of the blue hue....This is a Fred Barton statue that goes for a whopping 15 grand, I think he really captured the paint scheme of what's on screen.

The details are really bitchin':cool; makes the diff. between "Good suit" and "Great Suit"...keep up the great work!

My goal is to have something that looks somewhat like this but with a little less of the blue hue....This is a Fred Barton statue that goes for a whopping 15 grand, I think he really captured the paint scheme of what's on screen.

i bet if you get the paintjob right and a nice silicone cast from the mouth, you can sell yours for that amount as well!!

Wow - the originals look downright green in the photos!

You may have mentioned, but where did you find the reference photos?

Wow - the originals look downright green in the photos!

You may have mentioned, but where did you find the reference photos?

The reference photos I have accumulated throughout the years from posts on the Robocop Archive and deep searches on the web.

i bet if you get the paintjob right and a nice silicone cast from the mouth, you can sell yours for that amount as well!!

Thanks for the generous comment. I don't think I could bring myself to make molds of so many pieces. I have thought about making molds because of the amount of work I've put into this so far that I didn't really originally plan to do but I believe the interest would probably be dry and slim because Robocop is just not that popular in comparison to Iron Man and other modern franchises. It's hard to invest so much in making molds and probably have little interest. Just doesn't seem like a wise investment.

I see The Prop Store has a life size Robocop at SDCC (this week is it?). Very Purple!

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 11.17.29 AM.png

I may be wrong, but the suit seems a lot more blueish in robocop 2 than in the first movie. Could this suit be from robobcop 2?

About colors on film VS. in real life........

A guy paints a prop for a movie. The prop gets shot under various lighting with various filters thus changing the hue and tone. Now we try to recreate the paint job from photos, references on the net. Problem is the reference photos are distorted by the camera, the monitor you are viewing, you own eye and ......time as UV damage has taken a toll.

Some decisions have to be made. So you want the piece to be Prop accurate, Screen accurate, etc.

Personally, I want the prop to match what I see on screen. If I held the original prop next to my creation it would not match.....at all. But my brain has been trained to see a certain version that is eye correct. Thats the version I go for.

With all that said. I would gather as much reference pics of the original suit with what it look like on screen and do a blend. Seems like the onscreen version is a toned down rainbow. Thats what I would strive to achieve.

Last edited:

I am just starting to print my suit now and I am starting with the helmet after purchasing all my files from Do3d. I am definitely finding it challenging trying to find the best way to slice the files for wear-ability and efficient prints. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I hope my suit turns out as well as yours! Amazing work!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back