Ender's Game Flash Gun - WIP

tmax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys.

Being a space gun fan I'm rather fond of the Flash Gun from Ender's Game...

8E0kiE0.jpg

(Prop Store Pic)

This kit popped up on EB a while ago and I grabbed it...

HL1bafL.jpg

Appears to be the kit originally produced by @GlitchTech and I have to say, what a clever, well-thought-out kit! It's very, very cool.

ERpYJDM.jpg

3w8swJk.jpg

It's designed to take electronics but as I don't have great access to those here I'll just be making this a "stunt" prop for now, but I'll upgrade it with electronics at a later date.

So, onto the prep. Sanding and primer...

zCj9QLx.jpg

Ready for some colour. :cool

8E0kiE0.jpg

HL1bafL.jpg

ERpYJDM.jpg

3w8swJk.jpg

zCj9QLx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Parts painted...

DORzeJe.jpg

uNky8Pf.jpg

The silver is a Rustoleum Matellic which I clear-coated with a Testors Gloss Clear Lacquer which didn't make it turn grey! Stoked about that.
The dark metallic grey is Dupli-color Magnetic Grey and is the same paint I used for my ray-gun build and D9 Assault Rifle stand.
The copper is Rustoleum Universal Aged Copper.
Everything was given the Testors clear coat.

The circle inserts that come with the kit are "clear" as they light up when electronics are installed. For my stunt version I made solid discs that will be painted a metallic blue (Testors).

UfhVpVe.jpg

For the rods I'm using some threaded brass rods which are perfect. But also coated them in in the copper colour...

Yv8kpKN.jpg

Added magnets to the grip and the butt plate so it can easily be taken on and off to change the battery...

gPRJO3V.jpg

Ready for assembly!

Last edited:
man that was quick! nice job, looking forward to see that assembled :thumbsup in an hour?

Looks awesome bro! :thumbsup you sure make me miss my props locked up in storage jail...:lol

Ha ha, bro I feel your pain! Most of my collection is still sitting in a shipping container back in NZ! :cry

Didn't you score the Flash Gun (with electronics) made by the guy who designed this kit?

Ha ha, bro I feel your pain! Most of my collection is still sitting in a shipping container back in NZ! :cry

Didn't you score the Flash Gun (with electronics) made by the guy who designed this kit?

Yep. sure did Bro. just didn't go the electronics rout.

oh wow, the result is very nice! my only criticism would be the rod inside but I think you know that and it's a choice you made to simplify, I'm guessing it's more of a cooper wire coiled around a rod than a threaded rod. but it still looks great :thumbsup
Also the grip, obviously not screen accurate but weirdly enough, it really has some appeal raw like that and it makes me think of a katana tsuka for some reason... :)

This is an amazing build. You certainly did justice to the story.

Thanks mate. Wasn't a hard build coz it's such a great kit.

- - - Updated - - -

nice, i sold that kit on eBay, glad to see it built up

And I'm stoked you did! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

oh wow, the result is very nice! my only criticism would be the rod inside but I think you know that and it's a choice you made to simplify, I'm guessing it's more of a cooper wire coiled around a rod than a threaded rod. but it still looks great :thumbsup
Also the grip, obviously not screen accurate but weirdly enough, it really has some appeal raw like that and it makes me think of a katana tsuka for some reason... :)

Ha ha yeah, I just used what I had lying around here. You're correct, copper wire would look better. That's something I could add later on. The grips are like rubber so I don't think I could shape them any different. I guess I could use them as a template and make plastic grips hat could be shaped with rounded edges, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome Job! If I want to buy it. How much Price is it.

Sorry, not for sale. :)

Ha ha yeah, I just used what I had lying around here. You're correct, copper wire would look better. That's something I could add later on. The grips are like rubber so I don't think I could shape them any different. I guess I could use them as a template and make plastic grips hat could be shaped with rounded edges, etc.

In my original design, I wrapped copper wire around a length of threaded rod. Yours still looks fantastic.

I kinda liked the chunky grips compared to something more ergonomic.

My absolute favorite part of this piece, when I made mine, was getting kudos and praise from the guys at Digital Domain and the director Gavin Hood. One of the guys at DD ordered one and we sent a second along that got signed by so many of those fantastic vfx artists and Gavin.

Picture of signed piece -- https://barefootsewing.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/f/l/flash-gun-signed.jpg

Last edited:
In my original design, I wrapped copper wire around a length of threaded rod. Yours still looks fantastic.

I kinda liked the chunky grips compared to something more ergonomic.

My absolute favorite part of this piece, when I made mine, was getting kudos and praise from the guys at Digital Domain and the director Gavin Hood. One of the guys at DD ordered one and we sent a second along that got signed by so many of those fantastic vfx artists and Gavin.

Picture of signed piece -- https://barefootsewing.com/media/ca...df139433887a97daa66f/f/l/flash-gun-signed.jpg

Yeah that's super cool! And incredibly flattering as a prop maker when the people involved with designing it give compliments. I recently posted pics on insta of a Dr. Grordbort Manmelter that I customised, only to have Greg Broadmore comment on my post. You know, the guy that conceived/designed Dr. Grordbort, not to mention the District 9 weapons. I was pretty stoked.

Great job again on this kit. It was a pleasure to work with!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow. That is a fantastic build of my design! I'm in awe. If anyone wants to build their own, you can either 3d print one yourself from the models at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:417286

If you want to buy raw prints, kits with electronics, or painted and assembled ones with or without lights, check out my wife's site https://barefootsewing.com/props/ender-s-game-flash-gun.html

Thanks for posting that. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back