Obi-Wan tpm 3D printed lightsaber

Skigro

I have wanted an Obi-Wan tpm/aotc lightsaber for some time now. I always seem to miss the runs that show up here on the rpf. So when I got a 3d printer, I set out to find the best available model to print. After searching like crazy I could only find a handful of model and none of them were very accurate, most weren’t even good. So I decided I would need to model my own. Since I was new to using fusion360 I decided to try something a bit easier. That’s why I started with the Luke rotj v3 and v2. After finishing those I figured I knew enough to get started on the Obi tpm.

So a few weeks ago I started working on it. I started one version then scrapped it and started over numerous times and I am now happy enough with it and confident to share some sneak peeks of it. Obviously it’s not finished, but I am making some good progress on it. Still need to do the silver portion of the emitter and buttons/covertec knob.

Please share some feedback on this model if you are familiar with this lightsaber. I’d like to try and make it as accurate as possible while still being printable.

892677836d318f8c1175014980b7dd7d.jpg

358f7eb338d8fadf11153b11e336ee5f.jpg

668a452fc57aa871702385dd401bebce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Quick update. Added the rest of the emitter. Time to work on the details of the emitter and add the buttons. Having a rough time with adding the details. Wish I was a pro with fusion 360.

5cd0b353853e490f117fc993c0fb0ec6.jpg

Your model looks great!
Its not an easy one to get all the details right on. Lmk if you need any dimensions, I own an original stunt saber

Thanks. I really appreciate that especially coming from you. Your sabers are amazing.

I was using blueprints I found online for the general shape. I don’t think the dimensions on it are accurate so I haven’t set hard dimensions yet. Just eyeballing it and comparing it to screenshots and images I found of yours on here.

If you could provide accurate dimensions that would be amazing.

Thanks for your help.

Your model looks great!
Its not an easy one to get all the details right on. Lmk if you need any dimensions, I own an original stunt saber

Update. I’m getting better at using Fusion 360.

Deleted the original emitter I had and made a new one. I believe it is more accurate than before. Added the detail parts.

Now on to the buttons and then tightening up tolerances and thicknesses of parts. Then I should be able to print a prototype.

33b119d0abb2fc1082f54d1e1db94e4f.jpg

03b9be9c697ed246304c0582f5d87624.jpg

fedd1aee26c484eb5474eb996e784510.jpg

9dbfae51f781f8247810ca81e41435ee.jpg

Started the button and gem eye thing. Added some tolerances to the indents for the circular things on the emitter so they will fit when 3d printed.

What are those called? Lol I don’t know all the names for each piece of this saber.

b21ca32c8f47825dab42c09f8d9d9181.jpg

b98e9f1c51d685aaa554d3b2183e29a3.jpg

9fa81640595657e8dc252fbc3ecbffdc.jpg

My Ep1 stunt saber is 283.02mm. But, this is a resin casting of the original hero, so you might want to adjust based on the shrinkage that would have occurred.

It's a bit hard to tell. But you might thin down the neck just a little bit.

I think that the sleeve curve might need to be modified a bit. Here's how mine looks.
my sleeve curve for comparison.jpg

It's rounded a bit more compared to the straight line I see here
1faf7762cd8698e304bc3f678d9f2c72.jpg

Also, I think your pommel might be just a bit too round. Like a Larbel. Here's a pic of my pommel model for comparison.

my pommel for comparison.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Please don't take these remarks as criticism. You've done a beautiful job and this is a hard saber to get all the angles just right on. Saying it looks like a Larbel a bit is a compliment. :D:thumbsup

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it. I still consider myself a beginner with Fusion360. I am getting better though. Also, thank you for the tips... I made a few slight changes based on the information you supplied. As for the length, mine is currently 282.32 mm. Looks like I may have to scale it up a smidge.

OWK-aotc solid v19 pommel.png
OWK-aotc solid v20 sleeve.png

It's a bit hard to tell. But you might thin down the neck just a little bit.

I think that the sleeve curve might need to be modified a bit. Here's how mine looks.
View attachment 815242

It's rounded a bit more compared to the straight line I see here
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180505/1faf7762cd8698e304bc3f678d9f2c72.jpg

Also, I think your pommel might be just a bit too round. Like a Larbel. Here's a pic of my pommel model for comparison.

View attachment 815241

- - - Updated - - -

Please don't take these remarks as criticism. You've done a beautiful job and this is a hard saber to get all the angles just right on. Saying it looks like a Larbel a bit is a compliment. :D:thumbsup

Looks great! One last thing I noticed. The cut out at the bottom of the grip should be made straight on like this. You have it from the side.

my sleeve bottom for comparison.jpg

Very nice work!

So before I made the suggested changes, I started printing some prototype parts. I’ve got a few details to change so they look better when printed but the tolerances for fitting the pieces together are damn near perfect.

I’m currently printing the emitter sleeve. That’s the thinnest part so we will see how that comes out. I may need to make adjustments there.

I will have to re-print the pommel and the main body sleeve since most of my recent changes were to those parts.

Hanks for looking guys.

98a64ace61af92af47d35521ec5ccee4.jpg

3471f2ed96cbed6fe01ac7988f7e2c90.jpg

7bb99a4c8fb7f8ea7197d84d9d5a29f0.jpg

Checked my print this morning of the emitter sleeve and oh my. Major fail. Not sure what happened, it did not fail where I thought it would have troubles. It failed quarter of the way up the cut out portions. The part did snap nicely onto the inner emitter part though. Which means my tolerances were on point. But there were a few issues with the emitter cap details. The grooves were not deep enough for printing.

So I made some changes to the cap and made the overall sleeve thicker by over 0.6 mm. I will re-print tonight when I get home.

this is so cool! can't believe I missed this

I should learn to 3D model, I'm very impressed with your work.

I really enjoy that you designed it in layers - the final product will feel more real with the actual parts slid together rather than one solid piece

Thanks, that’s one of the main reasons I made my own. All the ones available online were basically one part. I needed it to be all separate. That allows the detail and ease of painting.

this is so cool! can't believe I missed this

I should learn to 3D model, I'm very impressed with your work.

I really enjoy that you designed it in layers - the final product will feel more real with the actual parts slid together rather than one solid piece

So after two failed attempts I was able to successfully print the emitter sleeve. However it didn’t turn out that great. After the photo it broke as well.

So I went back thickened it up some more. I don’t know if I can go any thicker after this. It’ll start looking weird.

Printing new one as I type this.

341d1406690c34544f54e5d4c11e7076.jpg

19b2243306037a5077acc7a9fed64f37.jpg

(The three detailed LED pieces on the emitter sleeve are separate parts.)

0c25b90d49186d5edfd1d82c1b98d735.jpg

Some of the parts are early prototypes, that’s why the pommel has tape. That’s to make it fit together better for testing purposes. I’ll be printing the latest version of the cover tech wheel, pommel, inner emitter, emitter sleeve and body sleeve next.

Last edited:
So after two failed attempts I was able to successfully print the emitter sleeve. However it didn’t turn out that great. After the photo it broke as well.

So I went back thickened it up some more. I don’t know if I can go any thicker after this. It’ll start looking weird.

Printing new one as I type this.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180508/341d1406690c34544f54e5d4c11e7076.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180508/19b2243306037a5077acc7a9fed64f37.jpg

(The three detailed LED pieces on the emitter sleeve are separate parts.)

You could try putting a ridge on the inside of the three vertical prongs, running down to the base, and add matching grooves into the ribbed inside part. Basically make them T-shaped in cross section. That should add a lot of strength with minimal impact on appearance.

After I am done printing prototypes I’ll finalize my design. Then I’ll send it to my two beta testers if they are interested. If they have any issues I’ll fix those and once they can print and assemble without issues then I’ll release it.

I work for tips lol. So if anyone feels inclined to tip they can. Just view my Thingiverse profile.

Lol no one has yet but I don’t expect anyone to.

Wow, this is beautiful work. Will you be making the model available to the public once it's done?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back