Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Well we wouldn't necessarily want to mark this thread as "Spoiler thread" as that would mean open spoilers are okay. It would also discourage members who are trying to remain spoiler free from reading and participating in the regular discussion.

I understand rumored storylines and characters are all part of the pre-release discussion, but at times they could indeed turn out to be huge spoilers. And though using spoiler tags would seem kinda redundant for each and every message while members have a back to back discussion about rumors, it's the ideal way around this issue that will hopefully encourage most members to continue visiting this thread without the fear of spoilers.

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I'd rather have Jar Jar as my representative in the senate...

I could live with that. He'd probably make a better politician than most. Funny how there is such a backlash against 3D. Especially for prop builders who essentially work in 3D - I would have thought most people would be into it. Admittedly I find 3D much better on my TV as the brightness is much higher. Prometheus is just gorgeous in 3D! I don't view it as the be all and end all, for me it is similar to the difference between stereo and surround sound.

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Use Spoiler Tags)

I would rather be frozen in carbonite for all of eternity than have to watch SW in 3D.

Something that I noticed on the trailer. Don't know if it's been addressed or not. If not, then you heard it first here. If so, then oh well.

Take a look at the X-Wings skimming across the water's surface. Obviously they bear some differences to the X-Wings we all know and love (honestly, after thirty years of using the same design, there had BETTER be some changes).

You'll notice that, unlike the original S-foils, which consisted of two wings that come together, this particular design uses one thicker wing that splits down the middle, with the leading edge going down and the trailing edge going up.

I'm not sure of the in-universe explanation for this, but I bet it has to do with a stronger superstructure for atmospheric flight, allowing the S-foils to lock in attack position without the inherent dangers of drag on a thin surface at high speeds.

I'm curious... Have the folks not wanting to see Star Wars in 3D actually seen The Phantom Menace when it came out in 3D? Or is this just knee-jerk reaction? I gave it the benefit of the doubt and was pleasantly surprised. Most of the people-talking scenes were un- to little-affected, while the space and action scenes were even more absorbing (and it had a new extended cut of the pod race, as well as a couple other tweaked scenes). And as I said above, I loved the impact the 3D conversion had on the title and opening crawl, and subtitles.

So far I've seen a few 3D movies since it became faddish again, and 2D versions of movies that were also out in 3D. Most I agree are too full of obvious "IN THREE-DEEEEEE!!!" shots. It's sort of become a drinking game to spot those shots when watching 2D versions of recent films -- like Cap's shield or Thor's hammer coming right at the camera. Frozen I thought was terrific in 3D. All the snow felt like it was right there in the theater with you. Tron: Legacy was beautifully subtly done, with it in 2D up until Sam got pulled into the digital realm. The Lego Movie was fun in 3D and felt like I had my head down on the table amongst my Legos, and Wreck-It Ralph was also good in 3D, but I don't think those need to be viewed in 3D. Since I have 'em both ways, I'll probably flip-flop which one I watch in which format any given viewing. But Tron, Frozen, and Star Wars? Given the availability, I'd probably pick 3D every time, but still enjoy them if I could only watch in 2D.

--Jonah

Something that I noticed on the trailer. Don't know if it's been addressed or not.

Oh, yeah. It's been addressed since the first leaked pics of the full-size set decoration under construction. ;)

As for why, I'll echo Guy. With most things in this genre, function usually follows form. "It looks cool" is responsible for more features than not. Sometimes, something will be designed with both in mind simultaneously, and I'll quote Ferdinand Porsche to explain why those endeavors tend to be my favorites: "Perfection is achieved not through function alone, nor form alone, but through the aesthetic synthesis of the two." Matt Jeffries had function in mind constantly as he designed the original Enterprise, and look at how iconic the end result was.

--Jonah

Or it just looked cool when someone drew it and they went thats cool, great idea make that one and its a go go go!!!

Oh, yeah. It's been addressed since the first leaked pics of the full-size set decoration under construction. ;)

As for why, I'll echo Guy. With most things in this genre, function usually follows form. "It looks cool" is responsible for more features than not. Sometimes, something will be designed with both in mind simultaneously, and I'll quote Ferdinand Porsche to explain why those endeavors tend to be my favorites: "Perfection is achieved not through function alone, nor form alone, but through the aesthetic synthesis of the two." Matt Jeffries had function in mind constantly as he designed the original Enterprise, and look at how iconic the end result was.

--Jonah
Oh I'm not talking about why the set designers chose to make it that way.

I'm talking about why, inside the Star Wars continuity, Incom changed the S-foil design.

I'm fully aware of the external form vs function debate that modelers and set designers use when creating a universe.

I'm for seeing any of the Star Wars movies in a theater again - even if that means it has to be 3D. The pros outweigh the cons for me on that.

Call me old fashioned but I'd guess they were told to make it that way from the art director once a strokey beard meeting had been resolved with the Director,,,, I'd hazard a guess that you've put more thought into its functionality than most of the team on the film, other than how to make it at full scale so it does the job it was meant to for the shots required. I'm not having a pop but just pointing out that i think over analysing leads to over analysing and nothing else. Its a black hole thats sucking in too many people in my opinion.......

For example I don't see Boeing jumping at the chance to emulate the cloud car design any time soon..... cos it was a concept on paper and made into a model for a sic fi film....sometimes these things do lead to great inventions and add to the world...sometimes they are just great looking ships from a film that have been re designed to be different but the same....

To clear up my 3D hatred. I refuse to watch anything in 3D. I think it is largely a money-making fad, and I refuse to support it. I could expand on my reasons, but I'll keep it in a nutshell in order to not derail this thread that I love so dearly.

I'm not sure of the in-universe explanation for this, but I bet it has to do with a stronger superstructure for atmospheric flight, allowing the S-foils to lock in attack position without the inherent dangers of drag on a thin surface at high speeds.

So your thinking that a company so highly advanced as to make super sonic space craft with light speed capability and shoots lasers and is part controlled by an intelligent droid, may have screwed up its wing design first time round!!!! Your not giving them much credit :)

So your thinking that a company so highly advanced as to make super sonic space craft with light speed capability and shoots lasers and is part controlled by an intelligent droid, may have screwed up its wing design first time round!!!! Your not giving them much credit :)

No, it's simply an engineering advancement to make the product work better. Think of it in modern aircraft terms. While the current A-10 Thunderbolt II is pretty much indistinguishable from its original counterpart, technology advances were made and incorporated into the design as time went on. Same with the X-Wing.

I get it, just think its not meant to be thought about or serves no purpose as you have to generate and decide your own conclusions as to what your searching for!!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back