Excellent movie/TV scenes.

The Mad Professor

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It doesn't matter if it was heartbreaking, visually stunning, singularly hysterical, or was a moment of S*** Just Got Real, if you enjoyed a part of a movie or TV show, share it with the rest of us.

Under the category of heartbreaking, I cannot go without mentioning the Buffy: The Vampire Slayer episode "The Body." It was just gutwrenching to watch the characters deal with the untimely death of Joyce Summers. I cried the entire episode, and I am not afraid to admit that.

Also particularly heart rending was the Season 3 final two episodes of Warehouse 13. When Pete stumbled back out of Syke's office with that look of shock on his face, and then begged Claudia to leave, oh man, the onions were being cut heavily. Then came Claudia's harrowing scream when she found Jinx's body.

Of course, the destruction of Warehouse 13 was heartbreaking as well.

Okay, now that my eyes are sufficiently lubricated, let's move on to some SJGR scenes, shall we?

The Last Dragon Ending - YouTube

PotC: AWE - What shall we die for? - YouTube

So folks, post away!

I'm not sure what category it would fall under, but I always enjoyed a scene from a season 1 episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Human Computer. The Seaview sub had been put under experimental computer control and sent out with only Captain Crane (David Heddison) on board. At one point in the story, he began to suspect he was not the only one on the ship when he found the radio wires suddenly sliced. What followed was an entire act (about twelve minutes) of a no-dialogue (save for one throw-away word), dramatic yet low-key search through the vessel, aided by very effective music. This proved to me that Heddison could carry the story weight all on his own. I previously had thought of his Captain Crane a bit dull, but this scene convinced me otherwise.

I'm not saying it was the greatest scene ever, but it was a great "one man show", highly atypical of the series. Probably in my top-ten of tv scenes! :)

TV:
1. Lost: Season 4, Episode 5 "The Constant"
I'm kind burnt out on any love story, but damn, if any story can make you cry, its when Desmond cries out for his love Penny.

2. The Office: season 7, episode 22: "Goodbye Michael Scott"
Michael Scott was a character that always got into painful situations that made me cringe and half the time psychically turn away from the TV. If I hadn't been watching for five years up to that point (came late in the game), I don't know if It would have been 'impactful' if I just got up to it. But the day Michael Scott left, is just a sad sad episode. The Office started as an underdog show and became gigantic changing the comedy game with its new style. It seemed like the end of an era when the office's new style wasn't fresh but normal at this point. I didn't realize how much I would miss that cringey character till he finally got his love and left the office. This episode I believe was a way better episode then the series finale, but the series finale just felt right, like thats how it was suposed to end.

3. 30 Rock: season 7, episode 11: "A Goon's Deed in a Weary World"
I kind of like this episode before the actual hour long series finale, mostly because I'm a sucker for a
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory spoof. But this was an epic episode. From the start of the very first season
you had the gag that Kenth would take over the company someday, and then it happened in this episode. It was a great little twist, when Jack told Kenth he was testing him all along. 30 rock was always great at doing satire on NBC and SNL, and it really had a touching moment at the end when it showed all the old famous TV shows that had aired on NBC through out the years. What made NBC what it is today. That was a really cool touching love letter to the channel it mocked.

Now with the actual series finale, it had one of my favorite send off's for a character, which was Pete Hornberger. Pete the balding, trouble with Wife and stressed out at work. A character you couldn't help but feel empathic too. At the start of this episode he tells Lemon that if your going to fake your death this is how you should do it by listing reasons. Then at the very end of the episode, without telling anyone what he is doing, Pete walks out through a door with luggage, and its very subtle, but you kind of get that Pete is going to fake his death. Its very sad, but you feel happy for the guy that he'll finally be at peace.

4. American Dad: season 9, episode 18: "Lost in Space"
This just aired recently, but instantly became one of my all time favorite episodes in the entire series. Its like a mini epic space movie.
Just this scene alone is completely tragic where Jeff is put to the test if he really was in love and deserves to go back to earth: Proof of Love from "Lost In Space" | AMERICAN DAD | ANIMATION on FOX - YouTube
Plus it had a ghost Jedi Sinbad.

Watching this scene from Hunger for the first time, I had a very important moment of realization.
Right then, I made firm my decision to move away from theatre, which had been my home and passion and place of comfort for half a decade, and devote my time and energy to learning more about acting for camera instead. Now it's what I do for a living.

In the scene, Bobby Sands has a meeting with his priest to discuss the morality of embarking on his hunger strike in the prison, a decision they both know can result in his death. In one shot, one take, Bobby tells us a story from his childhood that explains who he is.

There are movies I love much more, scenes I enjoy much more, but this one is still special to me. I try to not even watch it very often, afraid as I am that I'll ape from it. I just remember how much it inspired me. I'm sure other scenes do this better for other people. This one isn't the best by any objective standards. It's simply excellent. Simply effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one most of you have never seen I'm sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_sXd-28PXs

It's the opening scene to "The Red Baron" (2008). Although the film has some lousy accents and is primarily focused on Richtofen's personal life it's always engaging when they're in the air and unlike the travesty that was Fly Boys it's remarkably accurate in many respects. Highly recommended if you have an interest in the era.

Others that I can think of:

The Office (UK): Always found this series to be leaps and bounds better than it's US counterpart and the scene at the very end where David Brent grows a pair is SO POWERFUL because of how the series was progressed. The did it perfectly with their two seasons and left on such a high note that it's no wonder the rest of the world all got their own "Office".

Extras: Another Gervais creation and yet another change of heart/realization scene. The whole show was crafted so well and then, when he gives that speech on Big Brother, there isn't a dry eye in the house. I can't find a clip of that but here's another good scene from Extras with Patrick Stewart. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

I'm not sure what category it would fall under, but I always enjoyed a scene from a season 1 episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Human Computer. The Seaview sub had been put under experimental computer control and sent out with only Captain Crane (David Heddison) on board. At one point in the story, he began to suspect he was not the only one on the ship when he found the radio wires suddenly sliced. What followed was an entire act (about twelve minutes) of a no-dialogue (save for one throw-away word), dramatic yet low-key search through the vessel, aided by very effective music. This proved to me that Heddison could carry the story weight all on his own. I previously had thought of his Captain Crane a bit dull, but this scene convinced me otherwise.

I'm not saying it was the greatest scene ever, but it was a great "one man show", highly atypical of the series. Probably in my top-ten of tv scenes! :)

Back before the cable company took away the local HD channels and replaced it with crap they showed this episode on saturday night. I have to say the episode of Next Generation when Scotty goes onto the holodeck of the original Enterprise is one for me.

Back before the cable company took away the local HD channels and replaced it with crap they showed this episode on saturday night. I have to say the episode of Next Generation when Scotty goes onto the holodeck of the original Enterprise is one for me.

I hate when the channels change. That happened a lot on radio up here back in the 80's, for some reason. You'd wake up and without warning, your favorite station was suddenly not there. :unsure

Glad you saw the episode, Wes. I can't help but think how much more interesting Star Trek's The mark of Gideon would have been if Shatner had gotten to do an extended 'search' scene like that. Would have been much more dramatic and interesting than him simply thinking to himself "I'm alone on my ship", then suddenly some beautiful blonde twirls down the hallway for him to talk to! :lol

And yeah, I'd forgotten how cool that Relics scene was back when it happened!

The Disappearance of Alice Creed - The movie had me riveted from start to finish. I literally could not get up from this film until it was finished. It is still hard to believe that the movie only has three actors total (not even any extras) and that the majority of it takes place in a single apartment.

Winter's Bone - This one was recommended to me by a friend (and this was before Jennifer Lawrence was cast in The Hunger Games). After watching that movie, I could tell immediately that Jennifer Lawrence had a hell of a career ahead of her. She was just phenomenal.

I Spit On Your Grave (2010) - A movie about a brutal gang rape and the revenge that comes afterwards, it is less of a film experience and more of a force of nature, brutally attacking your sensibilities and your morals, especially on the subject of revenge. Though the main character performs vengeance on the men that attacked her that is so savage you wonder if she's even human any more, you still feel like she is justified, and even that she was lenient in her vengeance. This movie made me physically ill. Not in a bad way, but in a way that you realize later that the film insinuated itself into your psyche, and you felt like you were there. It is definitely not for the squeamish, though.

I agree, the Lost episode "The Constant" is one of the best episodes of a show I've seen. And I also loved the finale of 30 Rock.

I hate to give away a major plot point in the movie "Ink," so I'll just quote it in spoilers and give the youtube link. :thumbsup

The entire ending of Ink. Especially when Ink regains his memories and Father mode is activated.

To give you some context, John's a neglectful father whose life fell in despair when his wife died. His daughter has been living with his parents when a creature named Ink came and took her soul. Everyone thinks she fell into a coma, and it's up to a select group of "Storytellers/Angels" to save his daughter from the "Incubi/Demon's." The Storytellers are able to ever so slightly nudge the physical world and are in a constant battle with the Incubi. When Ink finally delivers the girl to the Incubi, it's revealed that Ink is in reality John, the girls dad. He goes berserk and annihilates the Incubi camp while defending his daughter. (There's also a couple of subtle hints that the women whose accompanied Ink on his Journey is his dead wife) Powerful movie, I loved it.
First this,
Ink- Fight at Hospital - YouTube
then this.
Ink ending - YouTube

There are some extremely emotional scenes missing, so you'll just have to watch the movie to get the full effect. I cryed at the end. Awesome movie for sure. :thumbsup

Last edited:
I think the Indianapolis speech from Jaws is the best scene on any screen ever. It's like a roller coaster. There has been tension and animosity between everyone all day. They have a few drinks, loosen up, start having a good time and bonding over stories. Then back to uber serious during the Indianapolis description. Then back to singing and having a good time. Next think you know, the boat is on fire.

I have always loved this business card scene too. I don't know what it is about it but the whole scene is just perfect in a sociopath way.

Last edited by a moderator:
dArtagnan.jpgThe Three Musketeers (1973):

I love the scene where d’Artagnan (Michael York) is in Paris meeting de Tréville in the Musketeer headquarters. d’Artagnan is applying to be a Musketeer when he glances out the window and spies Comte de Rochefort (Christopher Lee) walking on the street below. Rochforte is oblivious even when d’Artagnan blurts out “You sir! I spit on thee sir!” de Tréville is startled, thinking d’Artagnan is speaking to him as a result of being denied a position as a musketeer. d’Artagnan then abruptly leaps out the second story window only to land on a platform being raised up by workers outside. He then takes his leave and ends up running into (literally) all the musketeers.

I could not find the clip. This is in de Tréville’s office. d’Artagnan is showing de Tréville his father’s sword (broken by Rochefort’s ruffians).

Love that movie. Great cast. Silly swordfights… So true to the feeling of the book.

EDIT: sorry if my choice is too light hearted for the thread...

Last edited:
EDIT: sorry if my choice is too light hearted for the thread...

Oh don't apologize. This thread is for all types of films ranging from hysterical comedies to gutwrenching drama to sheer terror, and encompasses films that rate from Oscar and Palm d'Or winners to low budget SyFy Original movies.

It's just that, on the whole, sad/crazy/evil tends to stick out more in people's minds.

I loved seeing the Death Star debate in Clerks. Made me happy to know other people were talking about Star Wars the same way my friends and I were.

- - - Updated - - -

Have to include Alec Baldwin's speech from Glengary Glenross too I suppose.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back