Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Because he's deeply insecure.

I've seen his type on other boards – militant about the quality of the thing they like, condescending and dismissive towards any criticism of it, always with the above-it-all attitude. It's because they can't stand that anybody might have legitimate reasons to feel differently from how they do.

And I loved TLJ after seeing it a second time. I took my dad and am trying g to get my girlfriend to come with me to see it again. Right now it's second on my list of Star Wars movies, right after ESB.

I don't feel the need to go let on the internet and fight each and every person who dislikes it.

But he`s simply a wizz at the numbers game though.

Not at all, however, if I had issues to that extreme, I would have to admit it was not a good movie. If I wanted to sit and look at stills, and judge a story by graphics and "visual spectacles, I would have a good comic in my lap.

Stills? What? Who said anything about stills?

Nothing about comic books say "visual spectacle" to me.

With all due respect, the things you pointed out that you had issues with, are the heart of the movie.. The heart of any movie. Those same things you mentioned are what make a movie good or bad, otherwise its just a fast, confused, and abstract paced CGI blob.

Oh, gee, really? Please tell me more about how to do film criticism.

Stills? What? Who said anything about stills?

Nothing about comic books say "visual spectacle" to me.

I mean stills by...pictures or frames that are visually stunning. Alot of games out there are visually stunning, but are terrible at gameplay. TLJ, was in fact visually stunning, but an uncomfortable movie to follow and enjoy as a whole.

Oh, gee, really? Please tell me more about how to do film criticism.

Ok Mr sarcasm;), I did state, that what I thought, was my own opinion.

If you like to sit through 2.5 hours of cool special effects....then go right ahead. If you like to get lost in the pretty sky and stars and cute little porgs, and ignore plot holes, terrible jokes, dialog and scenes that jump around so much so, that people actually have to see it twice to get a hint of where the story is going. Then thats your prerogative. And Disney loves you for it and Bryan too ;)

I'm glad I watched it. Im glad there is Disney, they gave myself and my children alot of entertainment, and TLJ was no exception. But they built a square, made of sandstone, and called it a pyramid. A beautiful structure, but not a pyramid.

Ok Mr sarcasm;), I did state, that what I thought, was my own opinion.

Everything everybody posts with regards to whether or not they, as an individual, liked the movie, is a subjective opinion. There's no need to state as such, at least not in reply to me.

If you like to sit through 2.5 hours of cool special effects....then go right ahead. If you like to get lost in the pretty sky and stars and cute little porgs, and ignore plot holes, terrible jokes, dialog and scenes that jump around so much so, that people actually have to see it twice to get a hint of where the story is going. Then thats your prerogative. And Disney loves you for it.

This is where the "subjective" part of "subjective opinion comes in." I wasn't lost in the plot. I don't find some things that detractors have pointed out (Snoke, Rey's parents, etc) are "plot holes." I've already said many times that there's too much humor for my taste. So you're either ignoring what I've said, or not taking my earlier posts into account as you try express what you feel my opinion actually is.

If all you took away from everything I've written in this thread was that I thought the special effects were cool, therefore "GREAT MOVIE!" either you missed something, or I've miscommunicated something.

What are you basing that off of? How can you make that kind of a blanket statement? Look at the poll at the top of the thread, more people disliked it than they liked it, and thats just in this forum, the MAJORITY of people on this forum are fans of the OT. Just cause you are doesnt mean that applies to everyone. I love the OT and hated this movie. So did all my friends, even my sister who just got into star wars sorta recently(loved TFA, hated R1) didnt even like this movie. Just on the basic fundamentals of film, not even that its Star Wars.

I'm an OT fan, being thirteen when it came out, my wife, my daughter, son in law, father in law, mother in law, and my three employees who have seen TLJ all enjoyed it. I know one person personally who was disappointed in it.
And a second viewing tempered that disappointment.
Most of the hatred I see anywhere exists here, and a wee bit on Facebook. I do not know any the people commenting in this thread personally.

To take this further, I only know two people personally who liked BVS. Everyone else I know was sorely disappointed in it. Justice League took a huge financial hit because of BVS, it couldn't keep the goodwill WW generated. BVS couldn't even double its opening weekend box office, a huuuuuuuge drop off. JL is in the same boat and WB is going to lose around 150 million on JL.

Even a bad Marvel movie makes a profit because the formula works. I can't really tell you any quotes from a marvel movie, and they are fairly interchangeable, but they entertain and bring in the bucks.
Deadpool was a minor hit with a variation on the formula, which was about as risky as they've gotten in the past few years.

It's a real shame that Blade Runner 2049 lost its butt at the box office. Best movie I saw all year. But it only struck a chord with a small segment of the population. You have to hit with far more than just the fans to make your bucks back.

TLJ is hitting box office dollars somewhere in the middle-upper end that Disney realistically projected. That's the good. Will Episode 9 take a hit from the controversy TLJ has created? Well, we're a couple of years away from finding that out.
I really feel that the future will temper the butt-hurt from this movie. However, if fans literally walk away from the decades of Star Wars fandom over ONE movie they didn't like they weren't true fans anyway. I really didn't enjoy the prequels, although the third was kind of okay. I'm still a Star Wars fan, and I look forward the future of Star Wars. If a movie sucks, there's another one coming. If Solo is horrid, maybe the Obi Wan movie will be fun. My life won't be adversely affected by the quality or lack of quality in any movie.

I give TLJ a solid B+. What stops it from being an A+ for me is all the stuff I said when I posted my thoughts however many pages back. The pacing is uneven between the two divergent narrative threads. It doesn't quite mesh completely for me, it feels like the starship chase could've tuned down the urgency and the Canto Bight sequence could have turned up the urgency.

Which I find crucial to making it a good SW movie. A stand alone movie? maybe..

What makes up for that not quite working is a lot of the sheer visual spectacle.

I must have misunderstood this, my apologies..

It was hands down his best performance.

His best performance will be in Eps IX : The Return of the Last Jedi Strikes Back

Luke is not really dead, he is the most powerful Jedi, and he trains Rey, redeems Kylo and fights Snoke (the most powerful Dark Lord) and the new apprentice. Finn and Rose sacrifice themselves for the Resistance. Leia is now head of the Resistance, but gets drawn into a conflict and has to go into hiding. The apprentice is dead and Snoke escapes, barely, and we continue our story with Luke, Rey and Kylo (now Ben) in pursuit of evil Snoke and the remaining FO. Because now they know that Snoke has been training dark apprentices in a world far away. And thats where he has retreated to.

Luke was reluctant to train Rey because he new what it would cost Rey and now her brother Ben. He didnt want another conflict. He lost so many Jedi when Ben turned and doesnt want to risk any more. But now he is in a position where he has no choice. He disappeared only to confuse the FO and draw them out on their next move and keep and eye on Ben, to find the right moment to save him

Ok..just wishful thinking

Last edited:
Which I find crucial to making it a good SW movie. A stand alone movie? maybe..

Wait, I just want to be clear with what you are saying here. What is it that you find is crucial? The pacing of the narrative threads in relation to each other?

I must have misunderstood this, my apologies..

To put it most simply, the film just worked for me, it's more than the sum of its parts. Hamill's performance is simply fantastic. I know some folks have a problem with how dark his character got, but if you can get past that, look at Hamill's eyes. Each one of his scenes is a master class in using facial expressions to convey emotion. And as I wrote many pages ago, the ending has a personal resonance with me because it reminded me of one of my favorite westerns, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. That's a film that I know somebody at Lucasfilm also holds in high regards, because there's a huge Italian movie poster for it hanging outside the Lucasfilm theater in the Presidio. That's maybe not a reason a whole lot of people are going to share for liking the movie, but it is one for me.

Wait, I just want to be clear with what you are saying here. What is it that you find is crucial? The pacing of the narrative threads in relation to each other?

Yes, there was no center, the threads didnt mesh, IMO. Too many maybe. Finn.. just a crush on Rey. Rose.. a crush on Finn. And Luke was gone before anything could be established, other than "forget the force". Snoke? WTH? Nothing?...except gets cut in half, after reading minds? Like I said, too many threads that didnt intertwine with each other.

And the threads that were set up in TFA. I didnt find any "continuation".. to the " to be continued".

Rey was no better Jedi than in TFA, Finn, was just worried about Rey (for whatever reason, cause I still dont know) and now Poe, who started out as a calm cool collective character, turned into a slap stick, punch line, character.

Edit: That was abit harsh, because I did enjoy the movie. I dont think I would have had to watch TFA to enjoy it. But if we are talking about Trilogy or more over Sequel Trilogy, then...hmmmm

Last edited:
I`ve always said never doubt the sincerity of self interest.

Neither you, me, nor really anyone can define the sincerity of Hamill's statements... except Hamill himself.

The thing is, we can discuss the film back and forth here, detailing what we liked and didn't, and our interpretations of various elements... and I'm all for that. Because even when I disagree with a viewpoint, it forces me to evaluate my interpretation to see if it still holds true for me. Same goes for reviews, both positive and negative.

But far too often in this thread I feel like links to videos or articles are posted like some sort of grand "gotcha" aimed at the opposing viewpoint... and that's just destined to backfire. As in this case. The fact that Hamill now calls the film great doesn't change your mind about it one iota. And that's ok.

Neither you, me, nor really anyone can define the sincerity of Hamill's statements... except Hamill himself.

The thing is, we can discuss the film back and forth here, detailing what we liked and didn't, and our interpretations of various elements... and I'm all for that. Because even when I disagree with a viewpoint, it forces me to evaluate my interpretation to see if it still holds true for me. Same goes for reviews, both positive and negative.

But far too often in this thread I feel like links to videos or articles are posted like some sort of grand "gotcha" aimed at the opposing viewpoint... and that's just destined to backfire. As in this case. The fact that Hamill now calls the film great doesn't change your mind about it one iota. And that's ok.

I agree..

As a family, there is no need to bring the outside world in our conflict... In other words, say what you have to say without the "see he said that too", unless its one of us...of course,

Now.. If Mark or Johnson or Abrams wants join us and chime in here, he is more than welcome :)

Last edited:
@daddyfrom Naboo, I'm gonna shuffle your comments up a little to respond to two different things you bring up...
DaddyfromNaboo said:
Those movies were MADE to challenge the audience´s imagination and intellect! SW?! Sorry... It is not David Lynch directing a Star Wars movie. And a Star Wars movie is not "Eraserhead" or "Mulholland Drive".

There are some very basic rules and guidelines that you learn in the 101 of screen writing at any filmschool or can be found in the most basic literature about screen writing, be it in printed form or online. "Exposition" i.e. setting the scene and rules to the world the audience is invited to visit is really important and often distilled into three words: Show, don´t tell.
Movies are a visual experience and form of story telling. If the images themselves cannot convey the content, it does not really help to add dialogue. Yes, the silent movies are actually great examples. You can understand Metropolis without the text cards, I would dare say. And even if not, the text is a fraction of information that is needed to understand the movie. heck, that movie is nearing its ninetieth birthday.

There is always something that goes above the head of a part of the audience. Director and audience often do not "speak the same languages". A director may have a grand idea, but if he gets caught up in some highbrow selfcontained thought construct, he gives people a hard time to decipher the message. I dare say that IS okay for a David Lynch or Lars von Trier. Why not for a Rian Johnson? Look at the movies of those gentlemen, it IMO is self-explanatory.
And THEN look at the target audiences.

Star Wars: ANH and ESB are established corner stones in screen writing classes, and not only there but also in classes about editing, production design and music. Because they are PRIME examples of how things are done right, to create a cohesive movie experience.
Looking at TLJ, it falls apart.

A Star Wars movie is imo NOT a movie to THINK about. It is ESCAPISM, it offers an escape from reality. If I want a movie to THINK about I will go and watch a different movie.
A Star Wars movie is imo a movie that I want to FEEL. And if I take all the usual feelings that an escapist movie should contain for me to be successful, a Star Wars movie needs to evoke something that a stand alone movie NEVER can. The feeling of HOME and emotional RECOGNITION.
Now that I am writing this, this was even SAID in TFA! "Chewie, we´re HOME!" Fan-service? Yes. But DAMN did they get me with that one. It unfortunately was over-used and spoiled in the trailers, but JJA understood what it was about. The ESSENCE.

I am ALL for change, but a home can be left and does not need to be burnt down to explore new regions, to put some wind beneath the wings of the kids so that they can find their way in life.

IMO it was all started for making money. If I remember correctly, GL was looking for his next project to put some food on the table, just like every other prolific filmmaker. And according to all those biographies out there he always was someone who knew how to make his own money. So, the idea behind Star Wars is different to, say, the ideas behind a movie like the aforementioned ones. GL=business man and craftsman, e.G. Lynch= full blown artist.

Enhhh... George. George wanted to be a race car driver, but his eyesight was too bad for that, so be became the track photographer at his race track there in Modesto. He stood next to the guy do filmed the races, they worked in the same darkroom, and he became fascinated by the editing process -- how much control the editor has over what the viewer actually sees/experiences. So he went to USC to become a film editor.

While there, he got involved with the people trying to break out of the "Hollywood system" and do actual creative, daring endeavors. He went to work for American Zoetrope with Coppola, who told him he needed to write and direct at least one film so he could appreciate those aspects of the process and what writers and directors need to know, in order to get what he wants in the editing bay.

So he did a full version of his student film, THX-1138. Then he did a paean to his youth with American Graffiti. Then he dusted off his notes for a take on the serialized Saturday morning movie shorts he loved as a kid. He's definitely not an "artiste", but neither is he focused on the business of filmmaking (except as he had to become in order to hold onto the rights, in order to actually not go broke, in order to be able to make what he wanted to make). Look at the rest. Howard the Duck? WIllow? Redtails? Not to mention previously-discussed Star Wars ennui. His approach to filmmaking is a rather ADHD "Hmm... What do I want to make now? I think I'll do that."

That discounts the entirety of literary analysis (and by extension film criticism). Many, many works benefit from deeper exploration. As an English teacher who teaches a film studies course, I can't tell you how often students grow to appreciate something they'd initially written off...once they dig a little deeper.
Absolutely true. But these is not an art house movie, like I wrote before, this ist Star Wars. Escapistic Space Opera. The story is clear cut, the plot should be somewhat plausible. It is an Action driven adventure, not a character driven coming of age movie.

That's actually what I feel has been the biggest weakness of all the Star Wars films -- you can't think about them too hard or the cracks start appearing. My approach to storytelling was inspired by Animaniacs -- a straightforward story that can be enjoyed by anyone, with layers of depth and meaning that become more apparent upon delving. I don't believe that making the understructure complex and realistic and consistent means that the surface story needs to force the viewer to think. I love a character-driven adventure. I think the best movies are neither action alone, nor character alone, but, to quote Ferdinand Porsche, "the aesthetic synthesis of the two."

There's very little discussion.
So everyone should stop writing. Got it.

dFKwd9W.gif

Unhelpful, And kinda demonstrating his point. Back to the discussion...

Very fair point, but considering Lucas was the main conceptualist of the OT, & he changed several things from the initial plan, including Luke's dad, Luke's sibling, & changing Wookies to Ewoks, changes going from one creative team to another is to be expected.
Absolutely, but none of those things were obvious when the films were released. Thats the benefit of having someone in charge of the final product.
I wonder how Irving Kirshner felt, after directing Carrie Fisher to passionately kiss Luke in his recovery bed on Hoth in order to really build up the love triangle, to then see ROTJ & find out those two were now siblings. It was a total burial of that layer of the SW Saga.
George Lucas was standing next to Kirshner through the entire process and I`m sure that Lucas would have had the whole Leia / Luke thing down at the time and it played out just as he had envisioned and Kirshner knew exactly that. Now that is just reasonable assumption but Im sure those with a greater SWIQ than myself will be able to clarify that. Either way the impact of Leia and Luke being brother and sister is a genius move that did nothing to undermine the series and was something that was never questioned by the masses or confused them. I cant imagine a time when Lucas didnt want Han to be the love interest. Again, the benefit of having one person in charge.
I don't have a specific source to cite but as far as I know the Leia-Luke twins part came in when ROTJ was being written as a plot device. They had to have something that Vader would say that makes Luke angry enough to be nearly pushed over the edge and that's what they came up with. In fact the original Leigh Brackett script for ESB had Luke's love and jealousy over Han as a major weapon in Vader's hands in the end duel (at that point Vader was not Luke's father).
And it all panned out superbly. Of course Lucas had to make changes during such an epic journey as the OT. the key thing was that they all made each movie stronger, not weaker. In my opinion of course.

I highly recommend picking up Rinzler's "making of" books for each of the OT films. Not only are the insights into how the movies got made wonderful context for any fan of the OT, but it helps clarify a lot of these points. It wasn't quite writing scenes that were to be filmed the next day, but a lot of story points weren't settled until filming was underway. The story for Empire was largely set, but they were still struggling to come up with the perfect thing to shake Luke's world to the foundations. They finally came up with The Line™ a couple days before that scene was to be shot.

For Jedi, there were even more problems. George was tired of doing Star Wars, so he was mushing the last four films' worth of material into one. He had to come up with a new maguffin for Our Heroes to destroy, as he'd lifted the Death Star from the end of his notes to plunk into the one film he thought he was going to get to do (and, in the end, the answer was... another Death Star -- only BIGGER). He felt the need to revise the aliens who help Our Heroes on the jungle planet, since he'd lifted the Wookiees (in the form of Chewbacca) from that part of the story, too, and had established him as an intelligent, tool-using, spaceship-flying being, and didn't want to show his people as primitives.

And, of course, the matter of Luke's sister. That was to be a new character Luke would be looking for through the latter part of his arc. When they didn't have time for that development, during one of the story sessions, they pretty much agreed it had to be Leia, since there weren't a whole lot of women in the previous two films to choose from.

As for whether the resulting films are better or worse for the make-it-up-as-you-go method...? Highly subjective. I've seen enough of George's early notes, and un-pursued plot points to stand by my assertion that the Star Wars Saga we could have gotten might have been so much better.

Which is funny because most people, in fact I don't know anyone who disagrees, say that ESB is the best episode. ESB was the most story driven movie of all of Star Wars. It really shaped the characters and moved the story further on. Not even Lucas seemed to understand that if we take a look back at the PT. Nowadays there are plot holes and poor narrative. It's just about an investment in moments not in an arc for a trilogy.

Well, Lucas' judgment is even more questionable, considering he feels Empire is the "weakest" of the first six.

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back