Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
SDCC poster. Yep, Prime Universe all right. :rolleyes

Attachments

• IMG_4845.PNG
    IMG_4845.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
This news really knocks the wind out of my sails. I still have high hopes for the series, and I don't want to do too much judging before I actually see some episodes, but oh, this really isn't a good sign. :unsure

And all this "Ten years before Kirk"??

This really must be an alternate universe Trek.

The only thing that's really out of line with TOS-era technology is the LCD screen in place of the moire. The rest of it is pretty much just a mashup of Cage through TOS movie era designs -- the boxy shape is reminiscent of the Cage and TWOK comms, the antenna is straight up the TWOK hole pattern inside Cage comm's hinges and wire frame, while the face plate is a modernized version of the TOS series comm complete with train wheels. It follows in the grand tradition of Star Trek: Enterprise by filling early Prime timeline tech with foreshadowing of later in-universe designs.

In other words, looks fine to me.

The only thing that's really out of line with TOS-era technology is the LCD screen in place of the moire. The rest of it is pretty much just a mashup of Cage through TOS movie era designs -- the boxy shape is reminiscent of the Cage and TWOK comms, the antenna is straight up the TWOK hole pattern frames with the Case comm's hinges and wire surround, while the face plate is a slightly modernized version of the TOS series comm complete with train wheels. It follows in the grand tradition of Star Trek: Enterprise of filling early Prime timeline tech with foreshadowing for later in-universe designs.

In other words, looks fine to me.
But that's exactly what is wrong. It has an LCD screen, not even a pre-cursor to the moire pattern. And that's a tiny detail compared to the technology-heavy ship and suits shown in the previews.

So, it may look fine to you when you view it through some sort of justification filter, but I still standby my original comments...I mean to say, an LCD screen "ten years before Kirk"? Really?

But that's exactly what is wrong. It has an LCD screen, not even a pre-cursor to the moire pattern. And that's a tiny detail compared to the technology-heavy ship and suits shown in the previews.

So, it may look fine to you when you view it through some sort of justification filter, but I still standby my original comments...I mean to say, an LCD screen "ten years before Kirk"? Really?

So one out of place detail is enough to ruin the whole prop? Your call I guess, but to me it looks like you're the one trying to justify your opinion.

I mean, for pete's sale, we have LCD screens now. Where the heck do you think they're going to go in the next 200 years? Retconning the moire pattern as a small screen is far from the most dire bit of revision in Trek's history.

So one out of place detail is enough to ruin the whole prop? Your call I guess, but to me it looks like you're the one trying to justify your opinion.

I mean, for pete's sale, we have LCD screens now. Where the heck do you think they're going to go in the next 200 years? Retconning the moire pattern as a small screen is far from the most dire bit of revision in Trek's history.
I said, "... that's a tiny detail compared to the technology-heavy ship and suits shown in the previews...." So, no, I did not say just one piece of technology.

And, yes, we have LCD screens now, but they didn't have them in ST TOS, did they? I'm not trying to difficult here, but you seem to be arguing that because we have certain technology now, that it should ipso facto exist in a show set several centuries in the future, despite the fact that the show belongs to a particular canon, as part of a particular sequence of events. Ergo, if Discovery is supposed to be a precursor to TOS, then its technology should be at least the same (or even inferior) to the sequence of events (i.e. TOS) that follow it? Does this make sense?

All that aside - I'm really looking forward to the show, accurate technology or not. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say I'm too keen on that new ship. With the caveat being that the silly spaces on the saucer are there for a reason. Otherwise, clearly just an aesthetic I'm not into. I'm guessing that ring separates for longer term planetary ops. Hopefully. Otherwise :p

It is funny though, how I hated the E-D when it came out. Though fascinated with the size and design, it was my least favorite of the 3 E's. It wasn't until much later that it turned into one of my favorite ones. So who knows? If the show feels like Star Trek, the ship may grow on me.

The communicator seems to really be a nice compromise in design. Merging a "traditional" style with contemporary (real world) technology that we are familiar with. Especially for the casual viewer. And a very clean, well made prop.

I don't think the communicator looks bad but I don't like that they are using a design that is 20 to 40 years in their future for the lid. You just know they are trying to make something the fans can say "Oh look, they really are trying to tie it into TOS".

People like to compare the comms to cell phones/smart phones.
I get that of course, one of the "predictions" of Trek that came true, but also, no.

It's networking with starships at extreme range not a cell tower down the block.
I think they can look basic without "updating" because it's doing really a totally different job than what
we have in our pockets today, and it's starfleet using them on missions not a teen texting or playing Pokemon.
Even a satellite phone today appears about twenty years old compared to smart phones because it's job is different.
So no screen needed on comms is my view. They don't need them. Voice recognition to initiate and KISS. Keep it simple stupid.
I think wedging in a LCD screen is awkward and unnecessary. But the props are the least of my complaints.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back