Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

So while we're waiting for additional photos or official information, lemme ask about paint strategies. What base color are people planning to use? I went for a slightly grayer, bluer off-white on my FM Falcon to give it more of an ESB/ROTJ look, which looks good under lights but a little dark sitting on the shelf. I think I'm going closer to pure white on the PG Falcon. The lesson I've learned is that there are so many layers of dirt and grime on the Falcon that it's better to start lighter than I think looks right and build up layers from there. Ideas?

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I'm worried that the white over black might pick up bluish tones. In ANH the Falcon skews more tan/brown to my eye. But maybe that's just me.

I used vallejo model white grey as a base over black primer.
Then did a fade coat of aged white around the edges.

Of course Vallejo Air white grey is warmer than Vallejo Model white grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So while we're waiting for additional photos or official information, lemme ask about paint strategies. What base color are people planning to use? I went for a slightly grayer, bluer off-white on my FM Falcon to give it more of an ESB/ROTJ look, which looks good under lights but a little dark sitting on the shelf. I think I'm going closer to pure white on the PG Falcon. The lesson I've learned is that there are so many layers of dirt and grime on the Falcon that it's better to start lighter than I think looks right and build up layers from there. Ideas?
It certainly does, but once you weather it, the warmth comes back.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That is simply beautiful Astroboy! The paint work is done so well, I can't even tell what scale it is! :thumbsup

From Italy... I also put the order on USA Gundam Store. Shipping costs are overkill, hope will be worth it. Of course IF Bandai will allow them to sell it...

Thanks guys! Honestly? When I finished it, I thought it was one of the best too. But I've since seen some that were even more impressive.

That's one of the things I love about this hobby. The more we share, the higher the quality goes up. I remember when I first found a forum, I thought everything was brilliant. But now it's WAY better.

When I look back at some of those kits from years ago, they pale to the stuff I'm seeing from people these days.

Wow. Simply WOW.

I haven't even started on mine yet, which is just sitting in the box as my attentions have been on building the Zvezda and greebly-ing-up that hulk to approximate the ILM model. But I do have to say well done on the finishing of that beaut! I have the AT-AT coming later today and I thought I might switch from the Zvezda to the Walker for a simple day-build - but man, your finished Falcon is giving me some second thoughts.

Hi guys, can anyone confirm that if preordering from the u.sgundam shop, do they take your funds straight away if using a credit card, or do they charge you later on when ready to ship?.
Cheers
Stu

So do we know if the stand shown in the Japanese show is the one that comes with the kit?

Stu, they take your money right away.

Are there any of us who know of any European sites offering pre-orders on this (like the US Gundam Store)? It would be nice if somewhere was able to guarantee a supply and that way customers could avoid paying high shipping and customs (though of course any sellers are sure to have marked up accordingly anyway). If nothing appears in the next couple of weeks, the Gundam Store pre-order is getting more tempting...

So do we know if the stand shown in the Japanese show is the one that comes with the kit?

Stu, they take your money right away.

Thanks for the heads up Mike.

I'm wondering if Amazon Japan will offer this up?. Free shipping more than likely too which is appealing.

Stu

Thanks for the heads up Mike.

I'm wondering if Amazon Japan will offer this up?. Free shipping more than likely too which is appealing.

Stu

Do you have Prime for Amazon Japan?

Prime in the US does not apply Amazon Japan.

Do you have Prime for Amazon Japan?

Prime in the US does not apply Amazon Japan.

I never was an Amazon customer, I just signed up to Amazon Japan for the new Chronicles book. Now I get bombarded with AJ deals with free shipping, some I have taken advantage of.

Astroboy, your pix are always so nice! Clearly conveys your model's character.

As regards the choice of coloration, I feel this must a point of artistry determined by the individual. IF the Falcon were a real thing, then we could get an official paint reference and work from there. As it is, we only can interpret what we see on the small/big screen showing the original VHS or DVD or Blue Ray releases or even using our 'mind's eye' of the apparent color. Given the light tone (white?grey?) of the Falcon, ambient lighting also plays a part (think of the approach to the Cloud City...rather orange. ) From a modeling standpoint, IF you decide you are building a model of the "full size" Falcon, then you have scale effects to worry about as well.

On the other hand, if you wish to be true to the actual filming miniature, then I suspect there is a large amount of research and discussion within this Forum (just a little) about how the model was painted. Clues are found just by looking at the now 40 year original with all the missing parts making visible the layers of different colors (tan? dark grey? black?) Of course, white can yellow and other colors can fade, so caution is required with the method as well.

It never hurts to ask how someone else achieved their result, but I feel one should never completely abdicate their artist determination. It is after all part of the fun (and the risk, though that can be minimized by conducting 'dry runs' and tests before committing...)

Sorry, dropping out of 'philosophic' mode!

Regards, Robert

Astroboy, your pix are always so nice! Clearly conveys your model's character.

As regards the choice of coloration, I feel this must a point of artistry determined by the individual. IF the Falcon were a real thing, then we could get an official paint reference and work from there. As it is, we only can interpret what we see on the small/big screen showing the original VHS or DVD or Blue Ray releases or even using our 'mind's eye' of the apparent color. Given the light tone (white?grey?) of the Falcon, ambient lighting also plays a part (think of the approach to the Cloud City...rather orange. ) From a modeling standpoint, IF you decide you are building a model of the "full size" Falcon, then you have scale effects to worry about as well.

On the other hand, if you wish to be true to the actual filming miniature, then I suspect there is a large amount of research and discussion within this Forum (just a little) about how the model was painted. Clues are found just by looking at the now 40 year original with all the missing parts making visible the layers of different colors (tan? dark grey? black?) Of course, white can yellow and other colors can fade, so caution is required with the method as well.

It never hurts to ask how someone else achieved their result, but I feel one should never completely abdicate their artist determination. It is after all part of the fun (and the risk, though that can be minimized by conducting 'dry runs' and tests before committing...)

Sorry, dropping out of 'philosophic' mode!

Regards, Robert
Thanks for the compliment!

Mine was definitely trying to be a scaled down version of the studio model. The pic in the lucasfilm archives book is my favorite. It's so clear and bright. One of the ways I tried to get the feel of a much larger model is that I made everything a shade lighter. It can get pretty heavy handed if the grey panels are as dark as a fight foot model.

Thanks for the compliment!

Mine was definitely trying to be a scaled down version of the studio model. The pic in the lucasfilm archives book is my favorite. It's so clear and bright. One of the ways I tried to get the feel of a much larger model is that I made everything a shade lighter. It can get pretty heavy handed if the grey panels are as dark as a fight foot model.

Not sure I've ever seen that photo...can it be found anywhere online?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back