New alternative for Solo Blaster

Has anyone removed/covered the selector on the side? I'm sure it makes it non-fireable but that's okay...

I haven't stripped mine down that far yet. I may do just to see how it effects it's ability to fire. You wouldn't be able to select between semi and full, but you may be able to set to one or the the other and then remove the selector. Give me a few days and I'll check that out.

Just in case people have not seen my thread on the mods to my gun, I thought I'd drop this in here. This is a new grill for the AW that is a direct, snap on, replacement for the stock grill. Available in Frosted Ultra and Frosted Extreme deatil there is no need for sanding. Just wash, paint, and snap on!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/STX3WQPN5/aw-anh-based-grill-aw-airsoft-version

29cw8pe.jpg

Looks good to me. I bought the original model parts to cut and put together, but thinking about doing it is giving me anxiety. I'll probably just opt for this. Thanks for the heads up!

The real model parts will not have the right inside profile to properly fit the mag base. I believe the parts will be too thin for the AW and would require dremeling the inside of the part to get it to fit over, but don't quote me on that. I may order me a set for my next build.

Just in case people have not seen my thread on the mods to my gun, I thought I'd drop this in here. This is a new grill for the AW that is a direct, snap on, replacement for the stock grill. Available in Frosted Ultra and Frosted Extreme deatil there is no need for sanding. Just wash, paint, and snap on!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/STX3WQPN5/aw-anh-based-grill-aw-airsoft-version

http://i63.tinypic.com/29cw8pe.jpg

I saw the TFA side cover for the HFC on that Shapeway page. I was wondering if there was going to be a version for this model too. Anyone know?

The real model parts will not have the right inside profile to properly fit the mag base. I believe the parts will be too thin for the AW and would require dremeling the inside of the part to get it to fit over, but don't quote me on that. I may order me a set for my next build.

Yeah, I realized that after I received the parts. Fortunately, I can apply them to another build that has the correct shape.

Good news is that Shapeways cut the cost of their Frosted Ultra and Frosted Extreme parts. The ANH grill I had Sly Tools make is now only $23 and $28 instead of $40!

I saw the TFA side cover for the HFC on that Shapeway page. I was wondering if there was going to be a version for this model too. Anyone know?

The TFA grill is ready, but needs testing first, like I did with the blank white pieces in my AW DL-44 thread for the ANH grill. I'll order the test piece after Wonderfest next weekend and get the TFA grill out there for those who want it.

Last edited:

http://i63.tinypic.com/29cw8pe.jpg

What is the difference between Ultra and Extreme detail?

Taken from Shapeways-

Frosted Ultra Detail and Frosted Extreme Detail are both made of a UV cured acrylic polymer. While both offer high resolution, Frosted Extreme Detail uses a 16 micron layer height to produce incredibly fine features, making it a great choice for miniatures, model trains, and products with very fine embossed or engraved details. Both materials are well suited for painting, and are relatively brittle, especially when features are thin. The material is heat resistant up to 80°C / 176°F degrees.

The blaster in this thread is the Armorer Works DL-44 airsoft replica. It is not a licenesed replica which is why many small details are "off" a bit. The base gun is a green gas powered airsoft Mauser that fires industry standard 6mm plastic BB's in either semi or full auto. This blaster does not replicate any "on screen" blaster but is loosely based on the Solo blaster from TFA. It is all metal except for the plastic grips and grill on the front of the mag well. You can pick this blaster up from many online airsoft shops for around $200.

Quality is very good. All the "DL-44" parts are nicely made but again, not 100% accurate. A few examples would be the brass scope sdjustment knob is too tall, the grill on the front of the mag well is too small, it has a selector switch for semi/full auto, the frame rails are not engraved but have a rounded face, etc. These are all minor details but if your looking for a 100% accurate replica you will spend MUCH more and will likely be building it yourself.

Some of the "inaccurasies" can be delt with. I have had Sly Tools on Shapeways design a new ANH and TFA grill made specifically for this blaster. They snap into place just like the stock plastic grill. You can add the missing groove in the scope knob with a dremel and needle file. This helps to visually reduce the percieved height of the knob. The grips can be replaced with replica wood grips as well. And of course a good weathering with various sanding tools and some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black can make the gun look 100 times better.

I think the greatest alure about this particular blaster (for me at least) is that it is not a static prop. You can pick it up and shoot cans, ballons, paper targets, etc in your back yard. The blaster also comes with a small metal clip that can be inserted in the mag so you can dry fire the blaster with just shooting gas and no BB's!

Is it accurate? No. Can you recognise what its supposed to be? Sure can! Is it a blast to mod and work on? You betcha. Is it the cheapest, all metal, DL-44 you can get? Yep. Is it worth every penny? Darn Tootin!!

Wheww........

Quick update- I just received the prototype TFA grill in the mail today from Shapeways. Unlike the other test parts this one is a full detail part. I'll check its fit tonight after work. If all is good it should be up sale on Sly Tools Shapeways store very soon.

And it's a perfect fit. Should be available on Shapeways soon. I poped off my mystery disk and reinstalled the stock to make sure the fit was perfect

Would there be any interest in a GK grill for the AW?

Attachments

• 0605171735a.jpg
    0605171735a.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 0605171735.jpg
    0605171735.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 187
  • 0605171736.jpg
    0605171736.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 167
If your wanting a more accurate TFA grill for the AW DL-44, it is up on Shapeways now. I just got the test shot in yesterday and it's a perfect fit to the AW frame.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/R6UD2XEKC/aw-tfa-based-grill-aw-airsoft-version

On the Star Wars Blasters Builders FB page it was asked if we could do a GK for the AW. The problem with this is the GK grill does not wrap around far enough to reach the tabs in the AW frame. You would have to fill the frame slots with some kind of filler like JB Weld and sand smooth. You could then epoxy a 3D print of the GK grill in place. I may put up an interest thread to see if there would be enough interest in one for the AW.

Last edited:
If your wanting a more accurate TFA grill for the AW DL-44, it is up on Shapeways now. I just got the test shot in yesterday and it's a perfect fit to the AW frame.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/R6UD2XEKC/aw-tfa-based-grill-aw-airsoft-version

On the Star Wars Blasters Builders FB page it was asked if we could do a GK for the AW. The problem with this is the GK grill does not wrap around far enough to reach the tabs in the AW frame. You would have to fill the frame slots with some kind of filler like JB Weld and sand smooth. You could then epoxy a 3D print of the GK grill in place. I may put up an interest thread to see if there would be enough interest in one for the AW.

Great, thanks for testing that out! Any particular reason you went with the strong & flexible on the TFA one instead of the frosted detail as on the ANH?

I'm keeping the ANH grill on mine. This was just to test the fitment, plus, I've never had a polished S&F part from Shapeways.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back