NEED INPUT- Star Destroyer "Devastator"

Cadeus

Sr Member
If you are reading this, thank-you for taking the time to do so. I am planning to begin building a model of the Devastator. I have already been pouring thrue references and threads and collecting materials from the web and from the hobby shop, but I am at a point where I want to begin building and I can't find the most crucial piece... the sub-structure that all the bits are added to. I have found many drawings and illustrations but there is no guarantee that these are accurate. I know that the SS forum prides themselves on accuracy and detail, which is why I posted here instead of general modeling. I have the utmost respect for the level of detail you guys hold yourselves to. I know that if no one is willing to throw me a ball, you might be willing to point me in the right direction. Thank you, again, for your time.

This will be a scratch build, and I intend to "sculpt" as many greeblies as I can, myself. The only bits I will harvest from donors are the hard-to-reproduce greeblies, like the turbo lasers and shield generators and such.

If you're on Facebook, take a look here (scroll down to a post on April 6):
https://www.facebook.com/nicenmodeldesigns

Thank you for the link. I will add his page to my subscriptions. And I found this:
ortho.jpg

It seems accurate enough... I am going to try to verify and I hope it is accurate. This image has every shot I need to extrapolate an accurate sub-structure. I have come across a few images that have been criticized for inaccuracy on a few other websites. There are a ton of references out there and even more conversations about the studio models and reproductions. I am trying to stick to the studio model references to avoid mistakes.

Tread lightly on using the CG SD as reference - not only is it inaccurate, but it's based on the TESB model, whose proportions are different than those of the smaller ANH model.

I found some really nice profile pics of the ANH Devastator on one of the other modeling websites...355 views in 24 hours divided by 4 comments means that, by the law of averages, there are about 80-100 people interested in this topic so far. My father is a college math teacher, so I am going to recruit him to help me use the ANH references to design an accurate model for the armature and sub-structure. When I have something I will post my designs here to see if anyone would like to scrutinize the dimensions I know that the main body panels will be slightly wider than they look in a still photo because of the slope. I just don't know the math. Something about the hypotenuse of a right triangle, blah, blah... I hope I might have something by the beginning of next week. My original hope had been that there might be templates out there, somewhere. This is not an easy model to build. To be completely accurate it would cost hundreds of dollars in donor kits, alone. It is a much larger project than I originally thought, but I am not dissuaded from it. While I finish designing and building the frame and sub-structure over the next few weeks I will begin crossing model kits off my list and accumulating styrene and misc. sculpting materials to begin building the details. And I will post progress of my work here. I'll change the heading when I finaly post my first progress report with some pics. Thanks for looking! :) And thankyou to those who have already posted comments. I sent Ringa a friend request. I think I would enjoy his input. keep it coming, guys.

Seriously man - PM ringa... He can (and likely will) give you more info on that ship then you can digest. I've spoke with him a few time sover the years and you WILL NOT find anyone more knowledgeable on the model then him... I bet he knows more than the guys that built it at this point :D

Jedi Dade

Seriously man - PM ringa... He can (and likely will) give you more info on that ship then you can digest. I've spoke with him a few time sover the years and you WILL NOT find anyone more knowledgeable on the model then him... I bet he knows more than the guys that built it at this point :D

Jedi Dade

I believe you... that is why I pm'ed him as soon as you said I should before. As I am waiting to hear from him I don't intend to sit on my thumbs. I'm just trying to stay busy on it and move forward as I can. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I hope to, soon. Thank-you for your interest and support. :)

May, 23 was when I pm'ed him

I've been concentrating all my effort on making patterns for this subject, leaving others to identify parts. As a result, I'm afraid I can't offer much help in that arena other than to make sure you are aware of the parts maps posted elsewhere besides this site, such as at www.StudioScaleModelers.com

Certain key parts, yes, but not every detail on the ship. It seems like the majority of what's known has been published both here and at the SSM site.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back