Turbo Kid and Apple

CharlesHouse

My girlfriend and I went to see Turbo Kid in the summer when it had a limited premiere at the Alamo in Ashburn, VA. I loved the original short that was submitted for the ABCs of Death, and was very happy with the film. We started working on the costumes pretty soon after, and this will be more of a list of how we failed before succeeding than how we did the costumes.

For Apple, we tried to find a jumpsuit like hers. However, the filmmakers told us that, like the Kid's armor, while it looks like found materials, the jumpsuit was made from scratch. We found a suit that was similar but when it arrived it was a different color. We found a light colored suit and tried to dye it but couldn't get it the right color. My girlfriend ended up making the suit herself. We painted the helmet using a lot of screenshots from the film. She also made the harness. The gnomestick is... a broken baseball bat and a gnome.

For Kid, the armor is almost entirely fabricated. We started with more heavy foam, but it was cheap and didn't take paint or Bondo well. We started completely over with better foam. We cut the divets in with a dremel and dry brushed them for details. The knee, elbow, and shoulder pads are hockey and other sport pads we altered a bunch. I plan to redo the shoulder pads, as they are the least accurate aspect of the build. The armor cannon is a gutted Tetris hand game and a piece of resin. I will improve it a bit, but actual Power Gloves are expensive, even non-working.

We wore it to Katsucon and found that, surprisingly, many people had recently watched the film and were excited to see us. It came to Netflix a few weeks ago. Prior, it had been the most downloaded film online the week it was released on demand.

Someone took a Polaroid of us at the con, which seemed fitting. Doing Joker for a bunch of cons, I wasn't sure how to pose or smile. The girlfriend, however, had no trouble getting in character.

2p68mwj.jpg

TNaWoNw.png

Not really. The helmets were searching for as close as we could and painting. The shin, elbow, and knee pads were sports pads that we painted and modified with new stretch straps, less foam, and the rainbow strapping. The armor was all done in photoshop from stills, printed at scale, traced onto foam, and cut out. The leggings have iron vinyl under the foam, which I think is what the film had. The Apple jumpsuit was entirely from scratch, as was the harness.

I just recently watched Turbo Kid on Netflix after having it recommended by several of my friends. It's probably my new favorite movie.

Your costumes look really good. I'm thinking about maybe putting together Turbo Kid and Apple costumes with my wife.

would you be interested in selling your costume(s)? I've been trying to find a good one for halloween and yours are great. id be interested in the turbo kid alone or maybe both as a pair. lemme know! thanks!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back