Star Wars Launch Bay Opens @ Disneyland

The Slave 1 curse has been lifted!
Also, I'd wager that Falcon is 3d printed from TFA assets? It's based off the five footer after all....

i took some photos of the falcon at Disney Launch Bay in Orlando a couple of days ago and I was wondering if it was 3d printed too. There was a small grille thing on the sidewall that I was certain was printed. The paintwork on it looks VERY grainy and powdery looking too. The Slave ship they had on display there on some bits looked grainy too. The x wing and tie looked like efx models though. I'm going back there in a few days as I'm just staying at the animal Kingdom lodge so I might take a few more pics.

i took some photos of the falcon at Disney Launch Bay in Orlando a couple of days ago and I was wondering if it was 3d printed too. There was a small grille thing on the sidewall that I was certain was printed. The paintwork on it looks VERY grainy and powdery looking too. The Slave ship they had on display there on some bits looked grainy too. The x wing and tie looked like efx models though. I'm going back there in a few days as I'm just staying at the animal Kingdom lodge so I might take a few more pics.

Yup - same with those in California...

If something is 3D printed correctly it should not be "grainy" or have "grow-lines"
You should start with a high resolution/Hi-poly 3D mesh; also the higher the resolution the printer , the better.
The object should be designed and broken out into parts as necessary as orientation when printing can make a big difference.
Expect and plan to still have to do some "finishing" work.
Too many folks think that 3D printing is simply a matter of press the "make cool spaceship" button on your keyboard ...and you're done.

If done correctly it should be hard to to tell if a component was stereolithographed . Ideally, the only give-away may be the acute precision
Of course the extra planning and finishing does take more time... sometimes difficult when under a short deadline

Too many folks think that 3D printing is simply a matter of press the "make cool spaceship" button on your keyboard ...and you're done.

Amen! Never mind all the work that goes into DESIGNING the parts that are to be printed. If you build something from scratch, I think most people can appreciate all the hard work that went into making it. But, if it's output on a machine, some of these same folks might think the machine did all the work.

As someone who has made things from scratch and also designed and built in 3D for output via rapid prototyping, I know it can sometimes take just as much time and effort to design and build in the computer as it does to assemble something from scratch in physical form.

Amen! Never mind all the work that goes into DESIGNING the parts that are to be printed. If you build something from scratch, I think most people can appreciate all the hard work that went into making it. But, if it's output on a machine, some of these same folks might think the machine did all the work.

As someone who has made things from scratch and also designed and built in 3D for output via rapid prototyping, I know it can sometimes take just as much time and effort to design and build in the computer as it does to assemble something from scratch in physical form.

I'd say doing it properly on the computer takes more time than to do it by hand. By hand, you can cheat.
[Which shall not mean that doing it with the computer is better!]

Agreed, .. my fault I started the off-topic tangent, [though it was in regards about the Slave-1 & other models on display]
My point was unless you know for sure, if done right: you can only guess at construction methods used

How about some more cool Pictures of some of those great looking Spaceship/Vehicle models in the Launch Bay exhibit!!
anyone?

I will have to enjoy pics and posts by other folks vicariously until I can get down to Florida are back home to Southern California
Can't wait to see them in person on display in all their glory

Did they have turn the lighting on? ...on the ones in DW Florida? I thought I read someone say the Jedi Starfighter and a few others were not lit when it first opened.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't have cared less whether the models were printed or or made from scratch. I just loved seeing them on display! It was fun looking at the Tantive ship and pointing at sealab bits, etc. I was showing my partner and saying 'that bits from this kit, and that bits from that kit' but she was looking at me funny.

I took pictures but only with my iphone set on Hd. I don't know how to post pics here without them turning upside down.

The models in California were lit, but for some reason Orlando did not light theirs up. Too bad really. Not sure if that will happen in the future.

That Slave One!!!!! Who ever did the paint job on that did a fantastic piece of work on it!!! That weathering is perfect !!!!!! Great range of photos there. And I see the Tie interceptor has already picked up a bit of damage!!! Great to see so many physical props, costumes and particularly the models in this day and age!

I wonder how close the Falcon is to the CGI used in the movie. I know the Hull plating was not that thick OMG...

Very good set of photo's though...

Jedi Dade

Looking at the X-Wing up close in those photos I'm not so sure that isn't a retooled Hasbro. Look at the droid strip. It looks just like the Hasbro.
23790547600_4cb69868e8_k.jpg

I´d like to summarize all this threat:

O.K. The models are not perfect.
The exhibition its cool, and great.

nothing else matter

The most important and usefull here is the pictures that some ones are swaping.

BTW:

some nice closeups:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/haymag...h/24003609611/

Thanks a lot, but..... I can´t download the pictures :cry:cry

If same one visist the exhibition with a cemera, Could he post any pictures of the right (starboard) wing, the bottom side and the hyden bays of the vader´s tie? :D

Thanks

Luis.

They aren't perfect but they were never going to be. 48 hours for the BR,ISD,Y, and gunship ,was simply not enough time. I still want to know where the A-wing,Ghost,Gunship,Jedi Starfighter ended up... And they are all supposed to be plugged in and lit up! Can't have nothin nice! lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back