Studio Scale Builders : Untold stories

Vacformedhero

Sr Member
Hi all,
I have only been an RPF'r for a few months and love watching various builds unfold. Sometimes during these builds small stories emerge that add real life to the builds.

what I would love to hear is all the untold stories of Studio Scale Builders over the last ten years , professional or amateur....
we all want to hear your favourite studio scale model build, how you conceived it , why its your favourite and what you remember about a technical problem or limitation you had to overcome.

Plus of coarse any photos would be brilliant.

Just think of it as a model builders night time story .

thank you
Brian

It was my first studio scale built to be,...the Tie-bomber.
After being robbed of my money by mike tait who was selling a tie bomber resin kit over at the old studio scale modeler site i decided to not be put down by this piece of scum.
He robbed me of my hard earned cash,..but not the desire to own a piece of star wars history.
I was going to build the most screen accurate tie-bomber ever:lol
This was around the same time i just found out the existence of this site.
Man was i intimidated,but at the same time it fueled the passion and determination i really could do this.
The hunting for kit parts started and turned out to be at some times frustrating,but as i think of it now a fun part of it all.
Getting my hands on a morser karl kit and compairing the kit parts with the prop parts was a thrilling experience.
Wow,..i still get this feeling when i hold a kit parts and compair it with an image of the real deal.
Now was the time to make a decission,...will i buy more morser karls or will i cast the parts to get the project done way cheaper?
Oh how wrong was i,i decided to cast my own.
No casting experience what so ever i ordered some silicone and resin,...sh@t this stuff was expensive.
Anyway as it turned out,casting your own duplicates is a whole other ballgame(respect to all the master casters out there,fantastic job guys)
I managed to cast a few parts pretty acceptable but some parts could just not be casted in a 1 piece block mold.
Damn,..this was a major set back financialy and ego wise.
Now i had to buy the karl kits and wasted the silicone.
Hey wait a minute,i also need a Leopold kit or maybe more than one.
I scavenged the internet for answers.
I always ended up here at therpf for the aswers to my questions.
Reading all the build threads looking for clues of which kit to buy.
Yeah i hate to say it but i only came here to take and not to contribute.
Please forgive me guys but i had and still have the feeling i can't really contribute.
All i do here is encourage or compliment peoples builds or give some advise in making decissions.
Most of the tme i still only take without returning anything.
All i can say is thank you all for helping me out when i needed the information.
So,.finaly i've got it of my chest.
To continue,...
Making a list of kits and being intimidated by the amount of money that had to be invested to build the model properly.
A love hate relation ship started to rise to the surface.
I was to far with the Tie-bomber to quit the build and so much more cash had to be invested.
It is an addiction you know.
How on earth do i find a old tooling Yamato?
Oh wait i also need a nelson kit for for ****** sake just 1 part.
A Rodney aswell and the hardest decission was a 1/24 stuka and a Harrier.
The harrier was really tough since i really wasn't shure which version i had to get,..and i certainly was not going to get 2 versions.
After making the lucky guess the harrier was ordered and delivered.
F#$@k man,..the part was nowhere to be found.
I kept on going through the sprues and finaly i found it,..it is molded side ways,almost not to be recognised.
Although this kit was a financial ball breaker at that time the thrill of finding these 2 parts felt like heaven(adiction started to kick in big time )
Wow the harrier also had parts for the AT-AT,the Sandcrawler,now i also could build these,...right!!??
I had to step back an overthink this new hobby/obsession.
I still do you know,..this is bliss and madness at the same time.
O.k. to round up,..the Bomber got finished and still needs a old tooling yamato part(i settled for the new tooling to wrap it all up and started on another build, the esb at-st)
I am really proud that i kept on with the Tie-bomber build,...the result is amazing in my eyes.
The research and new learned skills were all worth the time and money,and the experience of seeing all the amazing stuff being created over here really all increddible ...and oh man does it look cool.

Foto0273.jpgFoto0272.jpgFoto0270.jpgFoto0268.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Voodoo caster, I definitely associate with a lot of your story , especially when you start to see kit parts in your hand that are obvious iconic parts of beloved ships, thanks for that, and your model is spot on well done

Here's a great memory for me. When you go to a party with ILMers, you feel a little "out of body" at times. You're in a house filled with friends, acquaintances, and then suddenly you see people milling about who built the original studio scale models for every landmark sci-fi film from 1977 onwards. You talk about home repairs and life in general over red wine and finger foods and then suddenly you realize it's DC Fontana - who pretty much INVENTED the Vulcans. Every one is so nice, and it's a fluid and genuinely pleasant evening. There's the occasional bombshell of info when someone off handedly remembers something "VITAL" to that Death Star Turret build, lol, and there's those stories about sexual conquests from the 1970s that make you realize "hey they even got LAID with those big bushy beards". You walk away armed with the knowledge that Grant McCune got the best damn speakers money could buy, and Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" was the soundtrack that hot Summer in Van Nuys. It's a little window into the world I dreamed about so much, as a kid, on the East Coast. Staring at those pictures in magazine on "how they did it!".

You also get all the pics you'd expect, like "me with _______" and "other buddy with ________".... but as the night goes on, and the liquor flows, things get goofier and goofier. So it is with great pleasure I present one of my favorite photos from one of those nights filled with stories from the early days of ILM and other amazing Hollywood effects legends - Jon Erland's sandals and my saddle shoes. I'm pretty sure we were talking about his brief cameo as one of the Death Star Gunners, and how tickled he is to know that they named his character after all these years. It really is things like this - moments in time - that transport me back to being a kid again, and it's why I make what I make.

Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 10.17.30 AM.png

And I don't remember who took the pic... or even if they remember doing so! But thank god they did, because it cracks me up every time I see it.

It was a LOT of fun -- especially getting to make up our own details instead of slaving away trying to recreate something that already existed. It has me itching to build some of my own designs as soon as I get the chance.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back