The Martian Space Suit

Here is the final Helmet, I will be adding detail from the great close-up reference photos. As you can see once I was given the correct dimensions everything fell into place. I want to thank FBFX for their input and support although they couldn't provide me with drawings with dimensions on them, what they gave me was enough to get me 90% there. It's as good as I can get it without having a production helmet to measure off of.
View attachment 539770View attachment 539771View attachment 539772View attachment 539773

Thats looks realy good work cant wait to put this all together now

Very nice work Captain April, but there's one little detail bugging me and it's the text on the back of the helmet that is molded underneath the left and right valves saying "EMERGENCY OXYGEN". Although not practical to print in lower detail, a high res print from a professional company like Shapeways a member here was going to get could be good enough to capture that detail.

Has anyone made a positive ID on the cameras on the side of the helmet yet? I ask because there's a possibility that they might not be cameras at all but golf rangefinders. I happened to be at a big box golf shop this weekend and in the front of the store they had a whole bunch of digital rangefinders on display and a couple of them had white bodies and looked to be about the right size as the 'camera' on the side of the helmet. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture nor do I remember the brand but I'm sure that a quick search online will turn up something.

Has anyone made a positive ID on the cameras on the side of the helmet yet? I ask because there's a possibility that they might not be cameras at all but golf rangefinders. I happened to be at a big box golf shop this weekend and in the front of the store they had a whole bunch of digital rangefinders on display and a couple of them had white bodies and looked to be about the right size as the 'camera' on the side of the helmet. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture nor do I remember the brand but I'm sure that a quick search online will turn up something.

I don't know if they are custom or not but in the film they're only used as lights.

While they look like they were modeled off of the look of the range finders, I think they were totally custom like basically everything else on the suit. We found the buckles and the harness, and I think that's all there is. I have given up looking for everything else, and I am betting they were printed / cast.

A few reasons I am going with this conclusion:
They are a similar material style to the rest of the helmet.
They posted pictures of the 3d designs including the lights on the sides.
They are actually hollowed under the silver piece on the side (as per the photos from the theater). It wasn't just tacked on to a pre-built part.
They are mirror images of each other on either side of the helmet. A single range finder / camera would be identical.

Last edited:

Based on the CAD/CAM illustrations and when I saw the suit in person, I'm quite confident that the side lights are custom designed along with the helmet.

21458955833_eebf95d847_c.jpg

Based on the CAD/CAM illustrations and when I saw the suit in person, I'm quite confident that the side lights are custom designed along with the helmet.

View attachment 539863

I would like to add one thing to Helmet light discussion. While watching The Martian, I noticed that the blue/purple lighting effect on the back of the units seemed to be coming from the light at the front of the unit. Allow me to elaborate. Some Light bulb shrouds are just glass and have reflective material sprayed onto the bottom, like bulbs used in track lighting. I believe the blue/purple light is a result of light bleeding through the reflective material and becoming visible from the back. This translates into less wiring need and fewer light sources for us to worry about, when we source the housing or replicate the housing.

WBE lol

just ordered the dog collar, and patches,. Just gotta lose some weight and get into astronaut shape :)

Just found this site
https://www.slantnews.com/story/201...antly-shows-why-humans-are-not-ready-for-mars
has a rotating gif
https://cdn.slantnews.com/articles/...edia_620960b0-615e-11e5-aa3d-95f81cdc5bb7.gif

Seems like a lowrez 3d scan for the Degrasse Tyson video,.. but the rotation is not in the video,. maybe it could be helpfull to make the armour? Although we do have lots and lots of reference for it now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I took all of the reference photos being posted, and organized them all into a book - sorted by the various parts of the costume. Hopefully this will help during the assembly process, although I kept the original resolutions of all the images and tried to minimize cropping for layout reasons to trivial parts of the images (non-costume areas of the pictures), so you should be able to zoom in pretty far on each image while still retaining clarity, if needed. If there are any changes/additions you'd like made, let me know. I limited the content to screengrabs, publicity/production stills, and the picture dumps from jontom and Frank Ippolito, mainly because I wanted a guide to help me assemble and finish the costume, using other pics on this thread to identify parts. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByIGfquakAu5NXpYVnFnTVFaRWM/view?usp=sharing

Can't wait to check out the pdf. My internet is being slow right now though.

What do we think, can the middle one be washed / faded to the right color webbing?
webbing.PNG

Oh, yeah forgot to say, that's their 45mm selection. Asked a manufacturer what they had that was close, and that looks like what they have. Think its pretty close to what Soulinertia already got. But figured its worth looking for another source. His 100 yards can only go so far.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back