I Am Legend Messenger Bag

If memory serves me correctly, it's a Belstaff Colonial 554... but I might be off with the number.

http://www.gotlands.de/index.php?op=display_products&category=bags_canvas

I bought one and love it. A little pricey, but it's nice.

You want the 554 in "Mountain Brown." That's the same one that Bruce Wayne has in BATMAN BEGINS when he goes to train with The League of Shadows.

The 554 is small (barely fitting a large laptop, but doing the job) so I would definitely NOT get the "small" one (556) as that has to be like a purse if it's any smaller. The 554 is a great size.

I bought from Gotlands. A little slow and tough with the language barrier (they're German) but reliable and never heard a bad transaction with them.

You want the 554 in "Mountain Brown." That's the same one that Bruce Wayne has in BATMAN BEGINS when he goes to train with The League of Shadows.

The 554 is small (barely fitting a large laptop, but doing the job) so I would definitely NOT get the "small" one (556) as that has to be like a purse if it's any smaller. The 554 is a great size.

I bought from Gotlands. A little slow and tough with the language barrier (they're German) but reliable and never heard a bad transaction with them.

Did you order from this site or from a US distributor?

great for me, cause I'm german. But its truly very expensive......:unsure but a well beauty...

I'm unearthing this post as I finally managed to nab a 554 in mountain brown. A truly gorgeous bag....!
$_57 (1).JPG$_57 (8).JPG$_57.JPG
Cheers
Col-EL

I have a knockoff version of this bag, I actually use it daily to carry my lunch, notebooks, pencils/pens, etc. to work. The original has better leather work, the buckles on the front of the knockoff use magnet clasp to attach to the pockets (the buckles are still functional though), and the knockoff has a different design on the emblem/badge. For 1/15 of the original's cost, it's a good alternative, especially considering I got it for actual use and not as a prop. Quality wise it has held up just fine, no issues at all. I've used some Pecard's on the leather straps because when it arrives the leather is very dry and has a monotone color.

20150527_065538 [].jpg

20150527_065548 [].jpg

I'm unearthing this post as I finally managed to nab a 554 in mountain brown. A truly gorgeous bag....!
View attachment 481082View attachment 481083View attachment 481084
Cheers
Col-EL

Pretty nice! What have you paid for that original one?

I have a knockoff version of this bag, I actually use it daily to carry my lunch, notebooks, pencils/pens, etc. to work. The original has better leather work, the buckles on the front of the knockoff use magnet clasp to attach to the pockets (the buckles are still functional though), and the knockoff has a different design on the emblem/badge. For 1/15 of the original's cost, it's a good alternative, especially considering I got it for actual use and not as a prop. Quality wise it has held up just fine, no issues at all. I've used some Pecard's on the leather straps because when it arrives the leather is very dry and has a monotone color.

View attachment 482132

View attachment 482133

What specific brand is the one you've found? looks close and cool, too. :) Nice find

I paid 180 sterling which was a steal. Its used but barely shows, a lovely piece of movie history and a seriously cool practical bag. Goes beautifully with my trialmaster jacket.
I do have a knock off of the smaller 556 in Mountain brown if anyone is interested. Ill chuck pics up later
C

Last edited:
This very thread inspired me to find an affordable version of the bag. The one I bought is still used daily after five years with only a zip replacement marring its performance. It's maybe a little pale in colour and has 'Discovery Channel' embroidered on the front flap, but it's the same pattern. Maybe the material's a little thinner, it seems a little floppy compared to pictures of similar ones, but they're probably full of padding to give them some shape. Still, five years isn't too shabby for a £20 knockoff.
I won't point to a specific listing but on eBay UK there are currently a few in this style, some auctions even have a pic of Will Smith on them.
Search for 'vintage canvas leather shoulder satchel' for the ones I'm referring to.

Every time I do a image search for vintage military bags this thing pops up in mass and it's not even military.
There is probably tons of knock offs out there.

I'm selling my 556 mountain brown knock off, from Ali express.
I waited for 6 weeks, meanwhile my wife nabbed the real 554 for me, so letting this one go.
Beautiful in every regard, Just asking what I paid (minus insane wait time)
Uploading pics tonight.

I recently got the knockoff version (from China) on eBay
2015-hot-canvas-crossbody-bag-men-i-am-legend.jpg

I too had one zip go almost immediately, the one closing the inside pocket.
Since I got the bag for a lousy US$32 (I'm not kidding) with super cheap shipping, however, I can't complain.
Otherwise it's good to great, the leather parts are amazingly high quality, very robust.
There's a chintzy looking brass logo in one corner, but I popped that off easily.
The only critical part missing from the high priced one is that there's no grab handle, but that's a pretty simple mod, I'm looking for a good webbing match to the shoulder strap.
It does have a pretty meaningful looking loop for attaching to a belt in the middle of the back, which I don't think the Gotlands did.
Oh, and I punched a few more holes into the leather tiedown straps, since they originally only buckled up securely when the pouches are fully loaded.

I'm grinning about the Batman Begins sighting, I have always thought that bag was way cool although I've never tried to track it down.
During a rewatch last week, there's a shot where Baley is almost at Casa Rhas and you can clearly see the shoulder pad, which is quite distinctive, and I was like HEY!!!!!
Two cool bags in one, you can't beat that.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back