MPC X-wing Build in Progress

Ok I did some more painting and weathering today. I actually found a panel that is supposed to be green that I never noticed in one of my reference pics until today, so I added that. More airbrushing on burnt/char on. Had a slight mishap, the fuselage started coming apart so I had to run a bead of glue on it and use the airbrush to blow the glue into the crack, I think it worked out pretty well, you can't see much of the glue. I did some markings with the pen to draw on some of markings, I'm not sure what to call them, kind of reminds me of leopard print. And then I tried out some oil paint weathering to mellow down the markings and make things look dirty. Oils are amazing, you can be so subtle with them, love it. I did not do oils on the whole model, just the top wings for now. It's going to take layers and time to get it all weathered right.

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

Looking good! I love the subtle weathering. I was a bit heavy handed on my first one.

Here's a little teaser of what I've been up to lately...

Blue Leader.jpg

Another MPC X-Wing, but this time with the Blue Leader paint scheme. Not wanting to hijack or anything, but just something I noticed with this one: I primed it with white first, and then applied the Camo Gray. It appears a LOT lighter than my last one, which didn't get the primer. Maybe the weathering will gray it up a bit. We'll see.

SB

Looking good! I love the subtle weathering. I was a bit heavy handed on my first one.

Here's a little teaser of what I've been up to lately...

View attachment 406361

Another MPC X-Wing, but this time with the Blue Leader paint scheme. Not wanting to hijack or anything, but just something I noticed with this one: I primed it with white first, and then applied the Camo Gray. It appears a LOT lighter than my last one, which didn't get the primer. Maybe the weathering will gray it up a bit. We'll see.

SB

That's really cool. When I get around to doing another x-wing I'll probably do an original paint job. My primer is a light gray in color, not really dark enough to make it really dark looking. Adding weathering by various methods has made it look much darker. I'm taking the approach of making it look somewhat new (excluding paint chipping) and then adding dirt and grime.

Some progress, it's harder to see but it's be darkened up a bit. More streaks, more dirt and grime especially around the engines and blast marks. I've started to add some rust spots with limited success. I did paint R2, but I'm not super happy with it, I may redo it. And the mask on the canopy has been pulled off. I may get the airbrush out again to paint some detail on the cockpit dash.

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 145
An update as requested by @StevenBills. I finished the ship, made the base of the stand and got it mounted, then decided that I hated the way R2 looked and have slowly been redoing him. It's been a little frustrating because I keep smearing the blue and have to redo parts. But still coming along, only inches from 100% complete.

Bottom of the base has a foam pad for grip and preventing scratches on whatever it sits on.
IMG_2355.JPG

Where the base meets the mount pole.
IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

And poor R2 in an incomplete paint job

Wow! This really really has turned our great! Loving the attention to detail from the reference and the blaster marks and weathering are fantastic! Did you seal the model before going on with the oils or just wipe each panel with spirit and then oil dots and blend straight on to the paint work? Looking forward to weathering my FM 1/72 but a little worried I'm going to ruin my work so far (which has gone well for my first model in over 25 years)

Wow! This really really has turned our great! Loving the attention to detail from the reference and the blaster marks and weathering are fantastic! Did you seal the model before going on with the oils or just wipe each panel with spirit and then oil dots and blend straight on to the paint work? Looking forward to weathering my FM 1/72 but a little worried I'm going to ruin my work so far (which has gone well for my first model in over 25 years)

Hey, sorry I just noticed your post.

I did a combination of weathering techniques directly on the paint, no sealing was done before weathering. I looked at not just the props but also took some photos I took of real dirt and rust streaks, real burn marks, etc. One thing that I noticed was that any real life "weathering" was not just one color, it was several and different patterns to it. So I applied different weathering techniques in layers to get the effects I wanted. For instance the rust is two different colors of orange oil paint and rust colored pigment. The burnt streaks I started by airbrushing on a streak of Tamiya clear smoke, then airbrushing a light layer of Tamiya dark gray a little smaller, and then brushing/rubbing/streaking graphite colored oil paint, and finally adding pigment to the origin of the streak. Rubbing thinned oil paints is a great way to get some interesting results that I accidentally stumbled upon weathering my engines. Tamiya smoke through an airbrush is amazing, pick some up and play with it.

I hope all this helps and it's not too late.

Not to late at all, I get very little time to work on them :(, many thanks for the information, greatly appreciated :thumbsup have some smoke so will give it a try soon.

Thanks for the great tips on your weathering technique. The results speak for themselves. This thread will be great inspiration for my remaining MPC kit build.

I just realized that I never posted completion pics, I hate it when that happens. A few changes from the last pics, a little bit more weathering, painted the cockpit darker gray, finished R2 and put him in his socket. I'll follow up this post with a list of paints and supplies that I used.

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

Only thing I can see that might have improved it in spots would be a very light wash to some of the detail areas on the engine pods (can't really be done now, but something to keep in mind for the next build). But overall, this is very nicely done and congratulations on completing it. I love the results!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back