need resource for building cross-sections

Cadeus

Sr Member
Hi, all. I am interested in learning how to figure cross-sections for scratch-building a model. Cones and cubes are basic, but how about abnormal shapes, like the voyager hull or the enterprise-d, for example. I imagine it is a lot like designing a boat hull, but I can't find any resources. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. This is what I am talking about:
32.jpgImg_1994.jpg
I am not looking for a free education, just a nudge in the right direction, and I can do the rest. And I don't have 3d software so I need a reource that show me how to do it on paper. Thank-you in advance for your help.

See Chapter 5 of Charles Adam's book: Model Design and Blueprinting Handbook Volume 1. I got mine off Amazon

Last edited:
You are of course correct. And I had the book open in front of me to check the chapter! Need. A. Holiday.

Post corrected.

Al recommended that book, also. Amazon is actually out of it, so I will order it from the site as soon as I am able. It looks like a great work... Thank-you for your help. If three great artists I admire all recommend the same book, it is a MUST-buy! :D

If you have an 3d file like an stl there are a few programs out there like slic3r or even tinkercad that will export 2d cross sections from the model in an svg format.

I just made my purchase from http://www.ModelersNotebook.com and can't wait for the book to be received.

Thanks Cadeus for the thread as I also have interest in learning this.

Mike
I'm glad it helped you.. And I guess it may help sell some books, too. LOL I can't wait to get mine, as well. Until I can afford some CAD classes, I will be doing all my designing by hand. It will be very fun to learn these things. I am grateful that this book is available. It is more than I had hoped for. And my models will be of a much higher quality for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back