Solo: A Star Wars Story

Ouch...... When Kathleen Kennedy decides to show up at star wars events in a T-Shirt that reads "THE FORCE IS FEMALE"...

That actually happened? Ouch. That's very disappointing. I mean, I get the attempt, but it just seems exclusionary in its own right.

Ouch...... When Kathleen Kennedy decides to show up at star wars events in a T-Shirt that reads "THE FORCE IS FEMALE" yes sir that's a political statement. 4 movies since Disney took over and Kennedy was given the rigns Ep7 Female Lead Rogue One Female Lead Ep 8 Female Lead Then we have Solo 1 of 4 films in 4 years has a male lead. The fact that Johnson had to continue on with a very weak story as well as some of the weakest characters I have seen in the franchise since the holiday special. Johnson decided to take some chances in the end its JJ who set it up and JJ who will finish it off. I still want what George had drafted up to be released on the side. I want to know what basically GOD had intended for his creation. Kathleen Kennedy was a poor choice to lead Lucas Film, I believe she should be removed and David Filoni be given the reigns. if nothing else we will get better quality programs and films and a better expanded universe than Kennedy and her political views can provide for all star wars fans.. Its time to allow entertainment to just be entertainment again. enough of the politics save them for every other thing in life. keep It the hell out of Star Wars.

Sometimes it's good to see something that is literally the opposite of everything I believe summed up in one concise way.

Question...

Why is deciding to have more female leads a bad thing?

And for the record, the score is currently 7 to 3 in favor of male leads in Star Wars films.

It's not a bad thing. I honestly don't understand why people think it is so horrible.

I'm not a fan of when movies start including obnoxious political messages, but by simply having a greater focus on female characters is pretty awesome if you ask me. Men who have an issue with it really need to get over themselves...

edit: I do want to make it clear that I don't like all of the new female characters in the new Star Wars movies. I find Jyn Erso to be really boring and not compelling and I absolutely hated Admiral Holdo. She's easily one of my least favorite characters, right up there with Jar Jar. But adding more central women characters to Star Wars is great, as long as they are well written, which is a rule that applies to the male characters too.

Last edited:
It's not a bad thing. I honestly don't understand why people think it is so horrible.

I'm not a fan of when movies start including obnoxious political messages, but by simply having a greater focus on female characters is pretty awesome if you ask me. Men who have an issue with it really need to get over themselves...

edit: I do want to make it clear that I don't like all of the new female characters in the new Star Wars movies. I find Jyn Erso to be really boring and not compelling and I absolutely hated Admiral Holdo. She's easily one of my least favorite characters, right up there with Jar Jar. But adding more central women characters to Star Wars is great, as long as they are well written, which is a rule that applies to the male characters too.

In general inclusiveness should never be considered offensive or a detriment to the story. I heard on last weeks ForceCast podcast a caller with a very obvious speech impediment left a voice mail saying he appreciated DJ having a stutter in TLJ. Made him feel good to see that represented. My reaction was gee, that’s really nice.

My limited understanding had the film in theaters through the end of Jan. as per contractual obligations.

That Sith like contract that Disney has held over theatre owners in the US is the only thing that has kept TLJ breathing, Many theatres have reported that they are under severe financial pressure as after the first couple of weeks the drop off was so bad that it was playing to empty theatres and they were forced to keep it on. Funny that there were no such contracts in China and it lasted only two weeks.. The reality is that without Disneys artificial life support contract system, we would have seen the Solo trailer and other promotional material weeks ago.

I heard on last weeks ForceCast podcast a caller with a very obvious speech impediment left a voice mail saying he appreciated DJ having a stutter in TLJ. Made him feel good to see that represented. My reaction was gee, that’s really nice.

A lot of people had facial ticks and twitches after seeing TLJ, gee, it would be nice if Ep Nein had a character with those.:lol

So what are the odds we'll see AE do these or something very similar in this film,,,,,,,,,,,

HanSolo.jpg

HanSolo2.gif

Sorry, couldn't get the gifs to work...........

In general inclusiveness should never be considered offensive or a detriment to the story. I heard on last weeks ForceCast podcast a caller with a very obvious speech impediment left a voice mail saying he appreciated DJ having a stutter in TLJ. Made him feel good to see that represented. My reaction was gee, that’s really nice.

I think the backlash comes not from the addition of female characters in and of itself - even leads. SW had always been pertty heavily male.Seems, though, that with 8, they tried to take it from heavily male to balance in one shot. Short of Benicio, it seemed like EVERY new character was female. One of the first pilots you saw in the first fight - female, Billie Lourde getting prominence (though she was in TFA, barely), Maz (rfa), Phasma (rfa), Holdo, Rose, Rose's sister, there was another lady on the bridge as well, etc. Short of Benicio, i think the only other new male with a line was Justin Theroux, with one short line and a First Order officer or two. Follow all that up with the two top characters of the Resistance are Leia and Rey.

I don't find it problematic in general, but i can see where some people take issue.

So, now, your main characters of relevance for the heroes, who we're supposed to identify with are: Leia (who won't be in 9), Rey, Rose, Maz, Billie Lourde, Poe and Finn. So it can be taken as a bit of a tidal shift. Frankly, i didn't realize they went as far as they did until i wrote this out :)

That's how we roll out here in the desert............

I'm 30min up the 101 from you, cowboy.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the backlash comes not from the addition of female characters in and of itself - even leads. SW had always been pertty heavily male.Seems, though, that with 8, they tried to take it from heavily male to balance in one shot. Short of Benicio, it seemed like EVERY new character was female. One of the first pilots you saw in the first fight - female, Billie Lourde getting prominence (though she was in TFA, barely), Maz (rfa), Phasma (rfa), Holdo, Rose, Rose's sister, there was another lady on the bridge as well, etc. Short of Benicio, i think the only other new male with a line was Justin Theroux, with one short line and a First Order officer or two. Follow all that up with the two top characters of the Resistance are Leia and Rey.

I don't find it problematic in general, but i can see where some people take issue.

So, now, your main characters of relevance for the heroes, who we're supposed to identify with are: Leia (who won't be in 9), Rey, Rose, Maz, Billie Lourde, Poe and Finn. So it can be taken as a bit of a tidal shift. Frankly, i didn't realize they went as far as they did until i wrote this out :)

This is trilogy is about Rey and Kylo. Full stop. Everything about TLJ was about advancing their story above all others.

I just wanna jump in and say i HARD CRUSHED on Billie Lourde in TLJ and I want her to be front and center in IX.

Or the star of her own trilogy.

My new career goal is to get enough power in the industry to make this happen...

Timeline is a little short... What'd those ****ty Rogue One guys do again? Create Photoshop or something? Need that KK meeting.

Question...

Why is deciding to have more female leads a bad thing?

And for the record, the score is currently 7 to 3 in favor of male leads in Star Wars films.

I've nothing to back this up, but I suspect most people would be more than fine with more well-written female leads, than not. Not trying to come off as "woke" or anything, but I personally find women to (potentially) possess a more diverse and interesting array of characteristics, probably having something to do with them being better multi-taskers. A properly developed female (human) character should always be interesting, really.

The problems arise when the character's addition is gratuitous, or is simply poorly-written or acted. The former is hugely unfortunate because ALL women sometimes end up taking the heat for "ruining people's vision of <whatever>", and it gives the impression that women need to be shoehorned into certain material. That kind of thing seems to always start a gender war online. The latter gives the naysayers fuel to say "See, this kind of material isn't something that women can pull off" (but at least the criticism usually stays media-specific). Women really do face an uphill battle with this stuff, don't they. And right now, so many social issues are so polarized.

It's funny, when I think about some of my favorite fictional characters, there's Arya Stark, Xena, Alice (Resident Evil), and now, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman. Hell, animated Asajj Ventress is incredibly interesting and complex! These are great characters, and not just because they're necessarily always well-written, but because the non-linear female emotional dynamic is just plain interesting. I dare say those characteristics are why I love Ben Solo so much in TFA.

Women are often held to a different standard by two different factions, for two very different reasons. One simply wants them to be men, and will always be disappointed and angry. The other knows they're capable of something so much greater, and enjoy watching them have the freedom to show as much.

I've nothing to back this up, but I suspect most people would be more than fine with more well-written female leads, than not. Not trying to come off as "woke" or anything, but I personally find women to (potentially) possess a more diverse and interesting array of characteristics, probably having something to do with them being better multi-taskers. A properly developed female (human) character should always be interesting, really.

The problems arise when the character's addition is gratuitous, or is simply poorly-written or acted. The former is hugely unfortunate because ALL women sometimes end up taking the heat for "ruining people's vision of <whatever>", and it gives the impression that women need to be shoehorned into certain material. That kind of thing seems to always start a gender war online. The latter gives the naysayers fuel to say "See, this kind of material isn't something that women can pull off" (but at least the criticism usually stays media-specific). Women really do face an uphill battle with this stuff, don't they. And right now, so many social issues are so polarized.

It's funny, when I think about some of my favorite fictional characters, there's Arya Stark, Xena, Alice (Resident Evil), and now, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman. Hell, animated Asajj Ventress is incredibly interesting and complex! These are great characters, and not just because they're necessarily always well-written, but because the non-linear female emotional dynamic is just plain interesting. I dare say those characteristics are why I love Ben Solo so much in TFA.

Women are often held to a different standard by two different factions, for two very different reasons. One simply wants them to be men, and will always be disappointed and angry. The other knows they're capable of something so much greater, and enjoy watching them have the freedom to show as much.

You may want to consider perusing Star Wars social media a bit more. You may find a lot of appreciate female fans, as well has fans who are not white men, very appreciative of better representation in Star Wars.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back