Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
I'm thinking there HAS to be some time jump to account for Fisher passing away. JJ is going to be neck deep in a darned if you do/darned if you don't situation. If Leia dies off screen, there'll be an Ackbar-type backlash of a nuclear level, but if she's shown at all, it could come across as 'cheap'.

I'm thinking there HAS to be some time jump to account for Fisher passing away. JJ is going to be neck deep in a darned if you do/darned if you don't situation. If Leia dies off screen, there'll be an Ackbar-type backlash of a nuclear level, but if she's shown at all, it could come across as 'cheap'.

The hologram thing might work.

Zuiun See, to me, the only thing that you mentioned that was even sort of interesting, is what Kylo did with the Knights of Ren. But since nothing was even mentioned about them in this movie, I feel like they are going to be thrown in at the last minute in the last movie of the new trilogy.

I wasnt also exactly clear on the whole "balancing of the Force". Do they mean it literally that there is an equal amount of light side users vs dark side users, or is it more of a buddhist kind of "balance creates harmony" kind of thing. They touched on it in a second in TLJ, because Snoke said when Kylo grows stronger, so does Rey, but even that doesnt make sense. That she would arbitrarily grow in power just because he did? Does that mean Snokes power level was on par with Luke? Did Luke die because Snoke did? Maybe someone could explain that to me, because with the prequels, there were tons of Jedi, and only 2 sith, and Vader "brought balance" by killing all the Jedi etc.
Solo4114 Very well written post as yours usually are, but to be honest....I dont like she is nobody, and that her powers have no explanation, especially with ALL the previous movies/lore/mythos/ that lineage is what matters regarding the Force. Im not saying that she cant have other reasons to do well, but the only reason she says she is nobody is because she doesnt know. Just seems kind of lame to me, to be honest. Cause if everyone is special, then nobody is.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they jump a number of years ahead, maybe even 10.

But would that violate the 'No CGI' declaration they've made?

I was saying earlier if they use left over shots from 7 and 8 and just turn them into "holgram style" communication those are actual shots of her not CGI.

- - - Updated - - -

@Zuiun See, to me, the only thing that you mentioned that was even sort of interesting, is what Kylo did with the Knights of Ren. But since nothing was even mentioned about them in this movie, I feel like they are going to be thrown in at the last minute in the last movie of the new trilogy.

I wasnt also exactly clear on the whole "balancing of the Force". Do they mean it literally that there is an equal amount of light side users vs dark side users, or is it more of a buddhist kind of "balance creates harmony" kind of thing. They touched on it in a second in TLJ, because Snoke said when Kylo grows stronger, so does Rey, but even that doesnt make sense. That she would arbitrarily grow in power just because he did? Does that mean Snokes power level was on par with Luke? Did Luke die because Snoke did? Maybe someone could explain that to me, because with the prequels, there were tons of Jedi, and only 2 sith, and Vader "brought balance" by killing all the Jedi etc.
@Solo4114 Very well written post as yours usually are, but to be honest....I dont like she is nobody, and that her powers have no explanation, especially with ALL the previous movies/lore/mythos/ that lineage is what matters regarding the Force. Im not saying that she cant have other reasons to do well, but the only reason she says she is nobody is because she doesnt know. Just seems kind of lame to me, to be honest. Cause if everyone is special, then nobody is.

Lucas said in the past balance is not the equal light side/dark side thing. Balance is like what Rey said when she reached out with the force in TLJ. Balance gets broken when dark side users try to subvert the Force.

I was saying earlier if they use left over shots from 7 and 8 and just turn them into "holgram style" communication those are actual shots of her not CGI.

Ah gotcha. That'd be a good way out, but still have to lead to either an off-screen death, or just a communication appearance.

I feel for JJ..

Yeah that...

Lucas said in the past balance is not the equal light side/dark side thing. Balance is like what Rey said when she reached out with the force in TLJ. Balance gets broken when dark side users try to subvert the Force.

I always took "balance" as, not numbers, but overall Force strength. Good vs Evil, no matter how many each have, (in numbers) on their side.

But Yoda did say, "Always two there are, no more, no less"

What 2 was he talking about.. 2 Sith, or 1 Jedi and 1 Sith?

I always took "balance" as, not numbers, but overall Force strength. Good vs Evil, no matter how many each have, (in numbers) on their side.

But Yoda did say, "Always two there are, no more, no less"

What 2 was he talking about.. 2 Sith, or 1 Jedi and 1 Sith?

He was referring to the Sith rule of two. There's always a master & an apprentice. They didn't know if Maul was one or the other.

You may be on to something with the 'balance' thing. As stated, Lucas said that it didn't refer to the same number of Jedi & Sith, but instead that the Sith would cease to be.

Based on what Luke said, the Force simply exists, with both a dark & light side. Maybe BALANCE is simply the Force existing, without a good or bad side using the force as a tool. Like I said before, I think the Force has awakened & is done being 'used'.

I've always thought that the prophesy didn't necessarily mean that Anakin himself would bring balance, but maybe by spawning Luke, he'd simply be doing his part in it.

Last edited:
He was referring to the Sith rule of two. There's always a master & an apprentice. They didn't know if Maul was one or the other.

I know, but I was reading that line alittle deeper.

Edit: Jedi seem to have the same rule as well.

You may be on to something with the 'balance' thing. As stated, Lucas said that it didn't refer to the same number of Jedi & Sith, but instead that the Sith would cease to be.

Based on what Luke said, the Force simply exists, with both a dark & light side. Maybe BALANCE is simply the Force existing, without a good or bad side using the force as a tool. Like I said before, I think the Force has awakened & is done being 'used'.

Then balance, does not exist, in a field of one.

Last edited:
Then balance, does not exist, in a field of one.
All we've seen of the Force in the PT & OT, was it's use by either Jedi or Sith. We've also seen those that are Force sensitive that aren't Sith, but use the Dark Side, like Asajj Ventress & the Inquisitors.

The Force is a living thing. It's done being a slave to one faction or the other. There are no more Sith. There can't be. New Sith would only exist if Vader had trained an apprentice. So in order to bring balance, Luke is doing away with the other faction, at least in what we've seen in the path. The Jedi are about to return to a religion more than a Galactic police force.

The force itself is changing the 'rules' that we think we know.

How I see it going anyways.

All we've seen of the Force in the PT & OT, was it's use by either Jedi or Sith. We've also seen those that are Force sensitive that aren't Sith, but use the Dark Side, like Asajj Ventress & the Inquisitors.

The Force is a living thing. It's done being a slave to one faction or the other. There are no more Sith. There can't be. New Sith would only exist if Vader had trained an apprentice. So in order to bring balance, Luke is doing away with the other faction, at least in what we've seen in the path. The Jedi are about to return to a religion more than a Galactic police force.

The force itself is changing the 'rules' that we think we know.

How I see it going anyways.

And I can see that

But, the Force is not a sentient being. Just like a car or a gun, it is being "used" by sentient beings, and will have fault once it is being used by impure beings. Thats why it will always be good or evil.

Simply stating if you like the movie or not and just walk away is called a poll and there is one in place already. To claim that the toxicity of this thread is only from the people who dont like the movie is not a true or valid representation at all.

Now, for more important things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBcNGwSGi6E

I was hoping for some inspirational music, perhaps like this:

Or perhaps something light hearted, like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Solo4114 Very well written post as yours usually are, but to be honest....I dont like she is nobody, and that her powers have no explanation, especially with ALL the previous movies/lore/mythos/ that lineage is what matters regarding the Force. Im not saying that she cant have other reasons to do well, but the only reason she says she is nobody is because she doesnt know. Just seems kind of lame to me, to be honest. Cause if everyone is special, then nobody is.

Since when has lineage mattered regarding the Force when talking about anyone other than a Skywalker? Do we know Yoda's lineage? Kenobi's? Literally *anyone* in the Jedi temple (or Sith lore) that isn't a Skywalker? Maybe books and comics go into lineage, but the films certainly don't seem to care who Yoda's parents are, yet still seem fine making him the most powerful Jedi there is.

What we got from the Prequels was some prophecy about someone who would "bring balance" to the Force. Nothing was said in the prophecy that this person would have some sort of extra super special connection to the Force... just that they were destined to bring balance to it. And to top that all off, we are explicitly told that maybe the Jedi were misreading this entire prophecy thing, anyway. They thought it was Anakin / Vader, but realized maybe (probably) they were very wrong about that. But regardless, the lineage of the Skywalkers was only important insofar as the prophecy, not Force usage in its entirety. Sure, we do get a few comments about how strong the Force runs in the Skywalker family, but that still doesn't make lineage the be all end all of Force usage.

As for what's happening in the new movies, my take on it is that no one really knows for sure. The Force has expanded (awoken) in a way that no one has ever seen before. Is that a direct result of Luke breaking the stagnation of the Sith / Jedi conflict, seeing it start to happen all over again, then go seeking answers and ultimately exiling himself? Who knows? Maybe it's something else.

Finally, I don't think that making Rey's parents nobody important is the same thing as saying "everyone is special." Heroes don't need legendary lineage in order to answer the call. And this is still a series of movies about heroes -- the ones who not only realize they have a talent, but actually aspire to use it for something more. It's not about the dude for whom the Force awakened and he's just using it to flip dice in his favor on Canto Bight... ;)

And I can see that

But, the Force is not a sentient being. Just like a car or a gun, it is being "used" by sentient beings, and will have fault once it is being used by impure beings. Thats why it will always be good or evil.

I've always felt that it was, though. Qui Gon even referred to it as ' the LIVING Force'. I may be wrong, but that's how I've based my view of where things are going.

The hologram thing might work.

As long as they dont have some actress running around with a CGI face. I say do it off screen and the new movie starts off with her funeral on a dark note. It sparks a call to join the resistance because how many are left? What can fit in the Millennium Falcon? There needs to be a catalyst for people to join cuz right now they dont have enough for a pick basketball game.

I've always felt that it was, though. Qui Gon even referred to it as ' the LIVING Force'. I may be wrong, but that's how I've based my view of where things are going.

Maybe Luke was trying to say, leave it alone and let it be pure, because if you tap into it, it will not be pure again. Like sticking a finger in a glass of pure H2O, it instantly contaminates it.

Maybe Luke was trying to say, leave it alone and let it be pure, because if you tap into it, it will not be pure again. Like sticking a finger in a glass of pure H2O, it automatically contaminates it.
See, I think the purity thing is dead on. At the end was see a kid that's obviously Force Sensitive. He's not been swayed by any faction, & the Force has revealed itself to him. He has no training, but uses the Force in a day-to-day way. I take it that his training is instinctive, & possibly revealed by the Force itself.

He's using the Force, but not USING the Force, if you get what I mean.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back