Star Wars Anthology (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

That was great. How much more appropriate it would have been to have this movie coming out soon instead of Solo. As mentioned previously by another member, it may have gone a long way to repair some of the tremendous damage caused by TLJ. So many announcements about future projects that nobody has asked for and still just tumbleweeds and crickets on this. Poor form indeed Disney.

Wasn't Obi Wan sitting in his hut being a strange old hermit for 20 years? That's what he did right? Or was he galavanting around the galaxy being some kind of hero while trying to hide and watch over Luke. Am I missing something?

Seeing Ewan McGregor return as Obi-wan would be a great treat. His performance was one of the high points of the prequals.
Also, having Qui-gon Schindler visit as a force ghost would be cool.

The problem is Obi-wan doing Jedi heroism makes as little sense as Vader's epic slaughtering of Rebels in R1.
Anything remotely Jedi would attract the immediate attention of the Empire.

Just the appearance of a lightsaber, used in self-defense, got the attention of the Imperial patrol searching for droids.
None of them cared about Han blasting away until they found out he was transporting the "old man".

Vader sensed Obi-wan but only after he used the force at the check-point and started training Luke. Probably why Obi-wan and Yoda didn't use Force talk while in exile.
So we can assume Obi-wan had remained cut off from the Force the same way Luke did in TFA and TLJ. Both wanting to remain hidden.

A great samurai movie with Jedi is an awesome idea but it would have to be separate of Obi-wan.
It could be the return of Jules Mace Windu. Basically, a group of unknown Jedi get fed-up hiding, gather together, fight to protect X but are then discovered by the Sith because they used the Force and are ultimately decimated by the Empire while still saving X.

Like I said previously the only way an pre-ANH movie could make sense is if Obi Wan goes James Bond. No lightsaber or overt Force use. He also can't leave Tatooine, or even move too far away from the Lars' farm. Maybe something starts out with him tailing the Lars and Luke when they go into Mos Eisley. Something happens that endangers Luke or Luke's identity and he has to do something. Anything like going to another planet would be against SW canon IMO.

I'd actually rather them do a Clone Wars era story if they want to use Obi Wan, Mace Windu, etc.

Really? Is this some EU revelation? It seemed Vader only sensed Obi-Wan when he was 20 feet away in the Death Star hangar bay.

Force users can sense other Force users.... We know that much.

I thought the same but physical proximity is implied by parts ANH and ROTJ; yet discounted with the Emperor sensing Luke in ESB.
Then completely tossed out the window (or retconed) in TLJ.

Leia and her space walk is another "?" but Vader did something similar in the comic Destroy the Tarkin.

At this point the Force becomes or does whatever the current writer wants.
Edit: Just consider the new power of Force Talk, if the Force could do that all along, why have all those holo-communications during the Clone Wars?

Here is a knot in the Force sense rope, Ren can sense that Solo arrived at Starkiller base but then can't find him when he is hiding while planting explosives.

Last edited:
When was The Force ever not whatever the current writer wants? Even by ESB it had turned into something different than what it was in ANH.

What is the Force?

Is it an old religion, a universal power source that all living things can use, or the physical manifestation of a parasite infection?
All three have been referenced at different times and different sources.

Or is the Force... none of the above... since it seems even Force users can't fully understand the source or limit of their power.

Yoda and Mace Windu were worried during the Clone Wars that their ability to use the Force and "see", assume see the return of the Sith, had been diminished.
Yoda didn't like the precognitive powers of the Skywalkers.
Rey, a nobody, in a day is more powerful than Ren who has been studying for years and genetically part a Skywalker.

Then the question can Forces users be cloned?
According to Force Unleashed yes but then why not make a clone Jedi army since Starkiller retained not only his skill with the Force but also his memories?

There's no telekinesis in ANH. Closest we get is Obi Wan distracting the Stormtroopers near the tractor beam, and that's only on hindsight. Also, Luke calling to Leia under Cloud city is new, though it could be extrapolated from stuff we saw in ANH.

Just consider the new power of Force Talk, if the Force could do that all along, why have all those holo-communications during the Clone Wars?

It's way too much effort. Snoke can handle it, but it killed Luke.

Here is a knot in the Force sense rope, Ren can sense that Solo arrived at Starkiller base but then can't find him when he is hiding while planting explosives.

he knew he was there but couldn't pinpoint his location, sort of a "where is that smell coming from" situation.

Force users can sense other Force users.... We know that much.

I thought the same but physical proximity is implied by parts ANH and ROTJ; yet discounted with the Emperor sensing Luke in ESB.
Then completely tossed out the window (or retconed) in TLJ.

Leia and her space walk is another "?" but Vader did something similar in the comic Destroy the Tarkin.

At this point the Force becomes or does whatever the current writer wants.
Edit: Just consider the new power of Force Talk, if the Force could do that all along, why have all those holo-communications during the Clone Wars?

But there is no definition of to what degree.

There's zero evidence Vader sensed obi wan because he ignited his saber or used the mind trick. He said the thought he sensed his old master's presence after they were on the death star.

If Vader is a couple systems away or even a planet, the odds of him picking it up simply because he used a mind trick would be ludicrous unless he was actively trying to detect him, which, after 18 years, he wasn't. Yoda did much more powerful things with Luke on dagobah and the empire never came looking for him there. Dark spot there aside. If could sense obi doing a mind trick from a system or more away without looking for him, yoda would've blipped on the radar somehow.

I think a lot of this comes from E8. Snoke was actively looking for Luke. The point being they were actively looking.

Furthermore, you'd have had others demonstrate jedi powers over the years. No jedi != no one with ability. Just means no was admitted to the order. Kid at the end of 8 as an example. Is the rest of the FO fleet going to appear over canto bight to search from him since he used a power? No.

Different how?

Not being a smartass. I really want to hear your thoughts on this.

Well, as Lightning said, there was no telekinesis in ANH. Also no "calling to another" as Luke did to Leia in ESB.
No seeing of the future. No Force jumps (as Luke does in the carbon freezing chamber)

Other than "sensing another" pretty much everything the Force does in ESB is new or different from ANH.

Sparking a lightsaber in public, will not cause a disturbance in the Force. It is an inanimate object but it will attract the attention of any informers that want a possible reward or to get the good graces of the Empire.

The FO fleet is not going to appear looking for the kid but if the Inquisitors still existed, they might depending on how large of a disturbance is detected.

If not for the rule of two, the Sith should be actively recruiting just to control the naturally Force sensitive.

Or if it is the midichlorians, then develop a scanner and midichlorian anti-body, implement a Imperial prenatal care program and screen the population. Only those that are truly loyal get to continue, if the anti-body doesn't work then well soylent green.

I do believe we are saying the same thing, the use of the Force is only as specific as the plot allows.

Agreed. That's why I don't get why people are so up in arms about these new movies showing new Force stuff. Who knows what all the Force is capable of doing? Can the Force grow and even change? Who knows? I'm not so much up on all the novels and old EU stuff, but I seriously doubt there has ever been anyone who was revered as knowing everything there is to know about the Force.

Jedi use the force as an ally, not a servant. And even with the Sith, just because someone can control aspects of the Force doesn't mean they know everything there is to know about it.

It's really a wonderful loophole as far as story telling. It can do whatever the writer wants it to do.

Only Han Solo gets away with saying "That's not how the Force works!" :lol

Well, as Lightning said, there was no telekinesis in ANH. Also no "calling to another" as Luke did to Leia in ESB.
No seeing of the future. No Force jumps (as Luke does in the carbon freezing chamber)

Other than "sensing another" pretty much everything the Force does in ESB is new or different from ANH.

Sure, in ESB we saw the Force utilized in ways we hadn't seen it used in ANH. However, there was nothing in ANH suggesting the Force was not capable of more. We the audience, and Luke, the protagonist, were only being introduced to the Force in ANH. So we were only shown glimpses of its utility.

I can't speak for you, my friend, but when I saw Star Wars the first time in the summer of '77, I knew the Force was capable of so much more than we were seeing. Don't you remember, when Luke told Obi Wan that he could almost see the remote with the blast shield down? Obi Wan replied, "That's good. You've taken your first step into a larger world.".

The Wook

Last edited:
People are up in arms, myself included, because the movies in some cases contradict what we have seen, read, played in a game or challenge our assumptions of the Star Wars universe.

Leia and her space walk. I assumed that space in Star Wars is like our understanding about space between the Earth and the moon.
Yet, The physical science of Star Wars doesn't need and may not directly relate to our world.

Just look at the cover Marvel Star Wars #15, Han is outside a Star Destroyer with only a full face mask, no pressure suit.
In ESB, he, Leia and Chewie are outside the Falcon with only a nose and mouth mask.
Are there regions of space that aren't a total vacuum? In ESB is it because the asteroid has a limited atmosphere?

We don't know so we fill in the blanks with assumptions based on observation and understanding.

If our assumptions differ then it is like the Sith and the Jedi. We fight.

That is why I like Han and his DL-44. Simple. Safe. Reliable.
He knows himself and that is what he trusts.

Maybe I should say Yojimbo with Kurosawa's Musashi setpiece from Seven Samurai mixed in. Obi-Wan definitely takes on a Musashi role in his exile. Doesn't use his sword, still gets involved in things. The plot of Yojimbo is what I pinged to because of the lone ronin aspect, but also because the story can be adapted to fit inter-trilogy events nicely. Switch it to...

Some bandit type is trying to set up a territory far enough away from Jabba that he hopes to avoid attention. One of his underlings figures he can do better. Anchorhead and the surrounding farms are caught in the crossfire. To protect Luke, Obi-Wan tries to intercede (remember his nickname? The Negotiator?), one wannabe crime lord tries to pit him against the other, and vice versa. It ends up drawing the attention of the figurehead Imperial governor, which is the kind of attention neither Obi-Wan nor Jabba want. Obi-Wan tricks the two upstarts into destroying each other, Jabba distracts the Imperial agent with a false issue elsewhere, re-asserts his authority over the rest of the gangs, narrowly misses discovering Obi-Wan, and things settle down again, with Owen grumping to "Ben" that they don't need his help and to keep clear. End with the crazy wizard walking off again into the suns-set.

No going offplanet, no lightsaber-fu. Nice and intimate and relevant to the characters' arcs.

Sure, in ESB we saw the Force utilized in ways we hadn't seen it used in ANH. However, there was nothing in ANH suggesting the Force was not capable of more. We the audience, and Luke, the protagonist, were only being introduced to the Force in ANH. So we were only shown glimpses of its utility.

I can't speak for you, my friend, but when I saw Star Wars the first time in the summer of '77, I knew the Force was capable of so much more than we were seeing. Don't you remember, when Luke told Obi Wan that he could almost see the remote with the blast shield down? Obi Wan replied, "That's good. You've taken your first step into a much larger world.".

The Wook

That's the point exactly! So what's wrong with the new movies showing even more different things the Force can do?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back