Not so much a prop

AntarcticFrost

Over the last few months I've been trialling an electric furnace ($390 off eBay) it was rather cheap and failed almost immediately (was garbage/scrap) But it gave me an idea from something i saw on YouTube, a British guy built an electric furnace that could melt aluminium, but i wanted to go that 5 steps further and be able to melt silver, copper, tin, aluminium and brass as well as their alloys.

I've copied a lot of TAOW's furnace design and have also made improvements from some of his mistakes with the level of danger from electrocution, alumina silicate brick (being deadly from silica) and also the brick exploding problem from the brick being too big/heat retention/absorption, I also used the broken furnaces power unit and frame.

This furnace is what I will use to create most of my metal forged pieces as it can go as high as 1500 degrees Celsius.

As soon as this is finished, I can begin my first project which is Thor's Hammer, Mjolnir

Here it is so far!!

Attachments

• Furnace step 1.jpg
    Furnace step 1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Furnace step 10.jpg
    Furnace step 10.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 246
  • Furnace step 9.jpg
    Furnace step 9.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Furnace step 8.jpg
    Furnace step 8.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Furnace step 7.jpg
    Furnace step 7.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Furnace step 6.jpg
    Furnace step 6.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 256
  • Furnace step 5.jpg
    Furnace step 5.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 245
  • Furnace step 4.jpg
    Furnace step 4.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Furnace step 3.jpg
    Furnace step 3.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 264
  • Furnace step 2.jpg
    Furnace step 2.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Update: Ive managed to weld a top frame on it and the placement on the power base is "perf",
Furnace step 12.jpgFurnace step 11.jpgFurnace step13.jpg
Now all there is left to do is find a kiln/furnace heating element coil that can reach 1500 degrees Celsius and stretch/wire it in.

Final step will be to use "spack filler" to make the alumina silicate fire bricks safe by covering it in a protective layer of plaster spack filler so it cant become airborne and kill me asmatic failure of lungs with silicosis.

-----UPDATE 02/06/2017-----

So I had a graphite mould, its slowly chipping away and ingots are getting stuck, and for its price at $19, not worth it, So i decided to cut and weld my own from scrap galvanised steel flat-bar. heres my design, its 650mm long, 350mm wide, 250mm deep.

Ingot mould mk1.jpgIngot mould mk1.1.jpgIngot mould mk1.2.jpgIngot mould mk1.3.jpg

The perfect thing about it: The water (when submerged) gets behind the ingot as the ingot contracts and as it boils off, it pushes the ingot out of the mould!!

So far ive made 1.9kg of scrap brass ingots from it, and several other ingots including Aluminium, Lead and Tin!
Ingots.jpg

My next build will be a propane furnace and will be able to melt copper, so i can create bronze and begin my Mjolnir project!!

Cheers! Every one of my builds is from scrap. I had an idea yesterday about writing a card to go with the prop when i sell it detailing how old the metal is, where it came from and any significant history.

Also, here is todays score from OP-Shops At a total of $60AUD i got approximately 16-kg of Brass, 7-kg of pewter/tin/lead.

Scrap.jpg

Tomorrow i will be making 5 or so 100g moulds to separate the brass into small amounts for later use, like Wonder Woman's Sword.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back